Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands 27 Covington Catholic 20
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:I hate to say it, but the Birds are in for a long November. I don't see the team that played last night in Western Kentucky.

And who do you see beating them even when not playing their best like last night?
redsfan01 Wrote:Congrats Birds. Much closer than expected. CovCath could be very dangerous come playoff time.

The winner of CovCath/Dixie will beat Johnson Central in the playoffs. Mark it down!
tradition Wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't your foot be in the endzone just as long as the ball doesn't break the plain of the goal line?

for a kick return or punt return, as long as the ball is caught before it crosses the goal line, youre allowed to return it. so if you back up to catch it and your back foot goes into the endzone, as long as the ball doesnt cross, it can be returned
adopted purple Wrote:I see the mighty Bluebirds may not be as invincible as everyone thought.

I guess this result will make the Mighty Purples the favorites in the 5A final if both teams advance??
horst muhlmann Wrote:I guess this result will make the Mighty Purples the favorites in the 5A final if both teams advance??

That's fine.Confusedhh::Hungry:Wink
Bob Seger Wrote:Where's all the usual gloaters at this morning? sstack?, whackem?, tradition?

Not as much as a sniff of any of em.

tradition Wrote:What do you want to know Bob? Stardust pretty much summed it up.

Please find the post where I have EVER GLOATED after a Highlands win.:dontthink

Still waiting Bob for a response on the gloating. You won't even find me making a prediction . Thanks for playing though.:biggrin:
Cov Cath has to be happy with the outcome of this game, they gave the Birds their closest In-State game by far!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
horst muhlmann Wrote:I guess this result will make the Mighty Purples the favorites in the 5A final if both teams advance??

That might be the best thing possible for the Birds. Too easy to become complacent if you start believing the hype. Hopefully this game will cause some players to smell the coffee. Highlands is good, at times very good, but they are not good enough to win state if they play the way they did Friday.
horst muhlmann Wrote:The winner of CovCath/Dixie will beat Johnson Central in the playoffs. Mark it down!

I think it's time to clean out your hookah.

Most people think it will be the Mighty Colonels from Christian County or John Hardin. The way my Mighty Purples played against Doss Friday makes me wonder if they want it bad enough. We will see in the next few weeks. I don't think anyone would like the road to the finals we have to take to get there. Warren Central next week. In playoffs we would have to get by Warren Central, Owensboro, Christian County and John Hardin. All of these teams except Owensboro should be in the top five in 5A. Talk about a rough schedule. Whoever gets to the finals from the west will sure be battle tested and should give Highlands all they want. I just hope its my Purples.
Bob Seger Wrote:Where's all the usual gloaters at this morning? sstack?, whackem?, tradition?

Not as much as a sniff of any of em.

Are you serious Bob? One thing that I have never seen from these, or any of the Birds fans, is gloating on this site after games. Whackem is whacked, but he doesn't gloat (expect when call out neerfan). sstack and tradition are two of the most honest posters about Bird football than any other poster on this site about their own school. You missed on this one!

As for the confidence that all of you have now instantly received because of the final score of this game, you better wake up from your stupor and look at the rest of the Birds schedule from 2010 and ask yourself if your team honestly could have competed! I promise you you would not have.

I'm no Bird fan, but I'm not stupid to know what happened in this game!
This proves Highlands is totally beatable and 5A can be Won.
Pride and Football Wrote:This proves Highlands is totally beatable and 5A can be Won.

What do you know about this game and how it proves that HHS is beatable and 5A can be won. Don't speculate if you don't know the facts about this game. I am very curious to know!
adopted purple Wrote:Most people think it will be the Mighty Colonels from Christian County or John Hardin. The way my Mighty Purples played against Doss Friday makes me wonder if they want it bad enough. We will see in the next few weeks. I don't think anyone would like the road to the finals we have to take to get there. Warren Central next week. In playoffs we would have to get by Warren Central, Owensboro, Christian County and John Hardin. All of these teams except Owensboro should be in the top five in 5A. Talk about a rough schedule. Whoever gets to the finals from the west will sure be battle tested and should give Highlands all they want. I just hope its my Purples.

I believe you are right about the tough road to the finals. I believe you will have a tougher side of the bracket than Highlands side team for team.
Stardust Wrote:What do you know about this game and how it proves that HHS is beatable and 5A can be won. Don't speculate if you don't know the facts about this game. I am very curious to know!

Everyone and there mother knows Highlands is down this year, Bowling Green or John Hardin can give them a run. Covington Cath. is a great team and so is Highlands but there definetly beatable this year, I dont know the stats of this game nor Did I Attend it but the score indicates Highlands can have an off night and a great team has a chance to knock them off.
This game hasn't changed my mind one bit about HHS. I have said all year that this is the year to beat them of the last few. That is not to say that they aren't the favorite, I just feel they are beatable. I know for a fact a few teams in the state are better then they have been in the last few years. HHS has had a couple of tough games from these teams in the last few years when they were truly "unbeatable".
Once a Colonel Wrote:This game hasn't changed my mind one bit about HHS. I have said all year that this is the year to beat them of the last few. That is not to say that they aren't the favorite, I just feel they are beatable. I know for a fact a few teams in the state are better then they have been in the last few years. HHS has had a couple of tough games from these teams in the last few years when they were truly "unbeatable".

Great Post!:Thumbs:
Stardust Wrote:Are you serious Bob? One thing that I have never seen from these, or any of the Birds fans, is gloating on this site after games. Whackem is whacked, but he doesn't gloat (expect when call out neerfan). sstack and tradition are two of the most honest posters about Bird football than any other poster on this site about their own school. You missed on this one!

As for the confidence that all of you have now instantly received because of the final score of this game, you better wake up from your stupor and look at the rest of the Birds schedule from 2010 and ask yourself if your team honestly could have competed! I promise you you would not have.

I'm no Bird fan, but I'm not stupid to know what happened in this game!

Whackem' whacked? sstack and tradition the most honest posters? For some reason, I feel I'm not appreciated for my own honesty And by the way, where's dig it in there? We're the only 4 Highlands fans on this site? Charlie's on a field of his own.:lmao:
Pride and Football Wrote:Everyone and there mother knows Highlands is down this year, Bowling Green or John Hardin can give them a run. Covington Cath. is a great team and so is Highlands but there definetly beatable this year, I dont know the stats of this game nor Did I Attend it but the score indicates Highlands can have an off night and a great team has a chance to knock them off.

The final score may indicate that it was close, but look at the boxscore: Cov Cath scored almost all of their points in the second half. The Highlands players were gassed and allowed those points; don't count on them being gassed come playoff time. Also, the offensive play calling was completely different than usual. There was more Towles running and less Towles throwing long. I assume (hope) that Dale is just holding back for playoff time.

Honestly, this game meant nothing. The week was a bit obscure for the Birds and things will get back to normal this week. There's no need to be giving up faith this early. Just wait and see what they do against Ryle in two weeks and then make your judgements.
WOW;closer game then I thought it would be.
It was a strange game. Covington Catholic had the ball for 34 of the 48 minutes and could only muster 1 offensive touchdown. Towles starts out 8-8 and then the reigns are pulled back. Look for the next possible match-up in a few weeks to be played totally different.
I give Covcath a lot of credit for the way they played. Lots of enthusiasm and never quit attitude in the 2nd half. However, anyone who was at the game, and knows Highlands football could see that the play calling was very peculiar to say the least. Defensively the stragegy was not what I expected.

Highlands was on the verge of blowing the game open but didn't. A few turnovers and penalties later we had a game. I sensed that Highlands was never worried until the last 3 and out. It was almost as if Coach Mueller was giddy that he was in a close game.

If they play again, which I'm hoping, I would expect another beatdown like we've come to expect over the years.
Duke45 Wrote:The final score may indicate that it was close, but look at the boxscore: Cov Cath scored almost all of their points in the second half. The Highlands players were gassed and allowed those points; don't count on them being gassed come playoff time. Also, the offensive play calling was completely different than usual. There was more Towles running and less Towles throwing long. I assume (hope) that Dale is just holding back for playoff time.

Honestly, this game meant nothing. The week was a bit obscure for the Birds and things will get back to normal this week. There's no need to be giving up faith this early. Just wait and see what they do against Ryle in two weeks and then make your judgements.

Yea, other than it was a District game, a Rivalry Week, Senior Night and 20n10... when does it mean something?
tradition Wrote:What do you want to know Bob? Stardust pretty much summed it up.

Please find the post where I have EVER GLOATED after a Highlands win.:dontthink

i agree you are a very classy guy on a post game morning i dont ever recalled you as long as i have been on here goated after a w by the way i mean this no jokes i respect highlands very much but johnson cental , john hardin and bowling green are licking there lips now
rebel 4 life Wrote:i agree you are a very classy guy on a post game morning i dont ever recalled you as long as i have been on here goated after a w by the way i mean this no jokes i respect highlands very much but johnson cental , john hardin and bowling green are licking there lips now

Thanks and I agree on the licking their lips part. Heck, before Friday I felt that Highlands walking on the field had a 7 pt. advantage . I don't feel that way anymore. Teams just got that boost that they can hang and possibly win . It's a level playing field now when Highlands takes the field.
no problem
Wideleft01 Wrote:I give Covcath a lot of credit for the way they played. Lots of enthusiasm and never quit attitude in the 2nd half. However, anyone who was at the game, and knows Highlands football could see that the play calling was very peculiar to say the least. Defensively the stragegy was not what I expected.

Highlands was on the verge of blowing the game open but didn't. A few turnovers and penalties later we had a game. I sensed that Highlands was never worried until the last 3 and out. It was almost as if Coach Mueller was giddy that he was in a close game.

If they play again, which I'm hoping, I would expect another beatdown like we've come to expect over the years.

The reality is people are not used to the Birds making key mistakes. They had 3 fumbles, but I would argue that CovCath was a huge reason for those errors. They were obviously "going for the ball". It was conscious effort by the Colonels to strip the ball from the Bluebirds.

Let's also remember that the Colonels had 3 interceptions, 2 of which were in the Red Zone. Now a big reason for those INT's especially the last one, was the play of Highlands defense.

I would agree if both teams play their best game, Highlands would win by 10 - 17 points. However, if Highlands has another sub-par game, and CovCath can keep the TO's to 1, I think you will be looking at new 5A state champ. Probably not CovCAth because I think they are too inconsistent to make the run you need in the playoff's.
Pride and Football Wrote:This proves Highlands is totally beatable and 5A can be Won.

Any team that comes into a game with Highlands with the notion that Highlands is NOT beatable is already beaten. No doubt, it was a good game between HHS and Cov Cath. Over the next couple years, the games will be equally exciting. However, reports of Highlands' ultimate demise are an exaggeration. Last year's team had some close calls and tough games but pulled through. If anything, this team has learned its lesson.
RepeatRings Wrote:Yea, other than it was a District game, a Rivalry Week, Senior Night and 20n10... when does it mean something?

I meant it as the game being a close win rather than a blowout like people expected. People are making such a big deal about how close it was when it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. It's still a Highlands, and they're still the favorites even though they might not look as good as people had hoped.
BillyB Wrote:Any team that comes into a game with Highlands with the notion that Highlands is NOT beatable is already beaten. No doubt, it was a good game between HHS and Cov Cath. Over the next couple years, the games will be equally exciting. However, reports of Highlands' ultimate demise are an exaggeration. Last year's team had some close calls and tough games but pulled through. If anything, this team has learned its lesson.

They did? Cincy X sort of, but other than that, I can't think of a close call. Which other games were close calls?

And let's hope this year's team learned its lesson.