Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley 72 Jeffersontown 57
kywldcat01's
SV is good, but outside of the mountains they're an above average team.

The game with J'town tomorrow night should give us a better idea, but the only two legit teams they've faced this year (PCC, Christian Co), they've lost.

Are you sure about mountain teams now?
kywldcat01 Wrote:Josh Sewell will wear the #1 jersey in the KY-IN All Star game.

And he should. Based on his individual accomplishments and team success Sewell is the obvious choice for Mr. Basketball.
I love how people are downplaying this win.
I don't see why some posters seem shocked that Valley won and by the margin of victory. You have the #1 team in the 15th Region playing the #7 team in the 7th Reg. I don't think there is a middle of the pack team in any region SV can't beat and do so with authority. I'm not saying SV can compete with the top 3 teams in the 7th Reg. on a regular basis but I don't think they would embarass themselves either. Not shocked at all by the score.
PC_You_Know Wrote:I love how people are downplaying this win.

Im eatin it up. I cant wait to see valley do this in the Sweet 16 to some more of these power region teams. Then we can listen to the Louisville and Lex area fans tell us how Eastern Kentucky Basketball isnt any good lmao.
Nice win for Valley. Congrats.
Here is a short article I found.

http://www.allkyhoops.com/2010/02/pitino...rings.html
I'm not shocked by the Valley win, but the margin did surprise me. J-town, even at #7 in thier region is a contender to win the 7th. It's a great win for the mountains, but SV will definately not be flying in under the radar of anyone now. This makes them a serious contender for the hardware in Rupp.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Im eatin it up. I cant wait to see valley do this in the Sweet 16 to some more of these power region teams. Then we can listen to the Louisville and Lex area fans tell us how Eastern Kentucky Basketball isnt any good lmao.

They won't have a chance to prove this until the semi finals. Valley won't be tested at the sweet 16 until they get to the semi's when they'd likely meet Clark Co and if they win that, then they'd meet either Scott Co, Lexcath (11th region), Trinity, Ballard (7th region), or Holmes (9th region) in the state championship. Valley got a gift wrapped trip to the semi's when they got the draw that they did.

PC_You_Know Wrote:I love how people are downplaying this win.

Nobody is downplaying the win...everyone has said big win for Valley, including myself.

The fact is though, J'town came in to this game 5-5 in their last 10 and also lost to South Oldham during that stretch.

This isn't the same J'town team that started the season 14-0 with Tim Jackson at forward. When you lose a 6'5 all state forward, it's going to affect your team some. Morrow also isn't one of the better 7th region coaches. He continually yells at his players and degrades them whenever they do something wrong. Kind of hard for a 16, 17, 18 year old KID to get motivated to play when your coach is constantly yelling at you.

Again, credit Valley for going on the road and winning but they're still 1-2 against top 25 teams in the state.
kywldcat01 Wrote:They won't have a chance to prove this until the semi finals. Valley won't be tested at the sweet 16 until they get to the semi's when they'd likely meet Clark Co and if they win that, then they'd meet either Scott Co, Lexcath (11th region), Trinity, Ballard (7th region), or Holmes (9th region) in the state championship. Valley got a gift wrapped trip to the semi's when they got the draw that they did.

Nobody is downplaying the win...everyone has said big win for Valley, including myself.

The fact is though, J'town came in to this game 5-5 in their last 10 and also lost to South Oldham during that stretch.

This isn't the same J'town team that started the season 14-0 with Tim Jackson at forward. When you lose a 6'5 all state forward, it's going to affect your team some. Morrow also isn't one of the better 7th region coaches. He continually yells at his players and degrades them whenever they do something wrong. Kind of hard for a 16, 17, 18 year old KID to get motivated to play when your coach is constantly yelling at you.

Again, credit Valley for going on the road and winning but they're still 1-2 against top 25 teams in the state.

You just downplayed this so much I wish Valley would have instead played Pikeville again.
kywldcat01 Wrote:They won't have a chance to prove this until the semi finals. Valley won't be tested at the sweet 16 until they get to the semi's when they'd likely meet Clark Co and if they win that, then they'd meet either Scott Co, Lexcath (11th region), Trinity, Ballard (7th region), or Holmes (9th region) in the state championship. Valley got a gift wrapped trip to the semi's when they got the draw that they did.

Of course the 15th good a good draw, but you can say it all you want that they won't be tested until the semis, but that isn't true. I know if McCreary makes it that they have the talent to compete with and beat SV on a given night. When you are a 15th region team, no game at Rupp is easy. Anyway, it's about time it worked out that our region got a good draw. Luck hasn't always been on our side in that department.

On the J'Town game, Tim Jackson or not, SV still would have won. They were ready to play and played really well. They coasted after jumping out to the big lead. SV is a really good team, but not good enough to win against great teams, unless they bring it every night.
Veru impressive win for Jtown
I found this article in the Courier-Journal today:

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...ice+shines
Stardust Wrote:Veru impressive win for Jtown

Valley?
Honestly, this is like the 3rd time Pitino has watched Elisha play live, and Elisha has already said UL is where he's going. Pitino must think of Elisha a little more highly than just your average walk-on.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:Of course the 15th good a good draw, but you can say it all you want that they won't be tested until the semis, but that isn't true. I know if McCreary makes it that they have the talent to compete with and beat SV on a given night. When you are a 15th region team, no game at Rupp is easy. Anyway, it's about time it worked out that our region got a good draw. Luck hasn't always been on our side in that department.

Neither Marshall Co or Paducah Tilghman will give Valley a game in the first round. Both are very comparable to the University Heights team that SV beat in the All "A" semi's. McCreary Central may be able to knock off SV with Aaron Watts, but that's IF they even make it out of the 12th region. Iroquois/PRP or Clark Co in the semi's would be the only games that I'd see SV as un anderdog.
kywldcat01 Wrote:The fact is though, J'town came in to this game 5-5 in their last 10 and also lost to South Oldham during that stretch.

I just have to ask. Why do you keep bringing up their loss to South Oldham like it is a horrible loss. South Oldham is a pretty fair team sitting at 23-5, ranked in the top 20.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PC_You_Know Wrote:Honestly, this is like the 3rd time Pitino has watched Elisha play live, and Elisha has already said UL is where he's going. Pitino must think of Elisha a little more highly than just your average walk-on.

Pitino has been in to see Ge'Lawn Guyn play close to 10 times this year and he doesn't even hold an offer from them. Ricky P has also been in to several of their practices as well to see and talk to Ge.
alfus21 Wrote:I just have to ask. Why do you keep bringing up their loss to South Oldham like it is a horrible loss. South Oldham is a pretty fair team sitting at 23-5, ranked in the top 20.

South Oldham is an above average 8th region team, but outside of the win over a depleted J'town team, who else have they beat?

They're ranked in the BGR top 20 because of their record...not who they've beaten.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Pitino has been in to see Ge'Lawn Guyn play close to 10 times this year and he doesn't even hold an offer from them. Ricky P has also been in to several of their practices as well to see and talk to Ge.

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot I asked.
Not sure what kywildcat has done wrong?

I agree with most of his posts in this thread and he gave SV credit for the win but put it in context(with Jtown struggling) and SV does have one of the easier draws if they get to Rupp.

I think he is warranted in believing that Holmes, Scott Co. Trinity or Ballard have had a better season than SV based on their level of competition!

Just because he is pointing out the reasons that the rest of the state are not handing the crown to SV does not mean he is being hateful to SV.

Remember, we are proud of our teams also!
loubballfan Wrote:Not sure what kywildcat has done wrong?

I agree with most of his posts in this thread and he gave SV credit for the win but put it in context(with Jtown struggling) and SV does have one of the easier draws if they get to Rupp.

I think he is warranted in believing that Holmes, Scott Co. Trinity or Ballard have had a better season than SV based on their level of competition!

Just because he is pointing out the reasons that the rest of the state are not handing the crown to SV does not mean he is being hateful to SV.

Remember, we are proud of our teams also!

:Thumbs:
You guys do give him a hard time and he's just stating his opinion. I never see him bash a team or player.
kywldcat01 Wrote:South Oldham is an above average 8th region team, but outside of the win over a depleted J'town team, who else have they beat?

They're ranked in the BGR top 20 because of their record...not who they've beaten.

They're probably the 2nd best team in the 8th Region. They are in more than 1 top 20 ranking right now by the way. But they haven't had a lot of quality wins.

By the way, I like that jab you threw in there with "a depleted J'town team". Makes it seem like they are a very weak team at this point of the season. But I digress....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:They're probably the 2nd best team in the 8th Region. They are in more than 1 top 20 ranking right now by the way. But they haven't had a lot of quality wins.

By the way, I like that jab you threw in there with "a depleted J'town team". Makes it seem like they are a very weak team at this point of the season. But I digress....

dont he always
loubballfan Wrote:Remember, we are proud of our teams also!

As all fans should be. And they probably post that in threads about those teams. But when a poster consistently comes into threads about a team (which isn't his) to make less than positive comments, it makes it appear as if there is an agenda. Once, twice, or maybe even a few times in a season could be understandable. But when it happens nearly every game, and the individual rarely sees the game, you have to wonder. Most of his comments do have some validity, but they appear to be in a way to lessen any SV accomplishment.

You said: "Just because he is pointing out the reasons that the rest of the state are not handing the crown to SV does not mean he is being hateful to SV."

I agree with that to some extent, but the frequency of his "pointing out the reasons" clearly shows he has a chip on his shoulder. This is a very similar situation to what Elliott County posters faced last year. I guess it's hard for the fans of schools that don't have as much internet support to stomach the ones that do. You would think last year's state title would help with that somewhat, but I guess not...
Congrats Valley! :rockon:

Nice win on the road.
To somewhat get away from all of the negativity, it was mentioned by someone that Taylor Newsome was getting close to be the all-time leading rebounder in SV history. Does anyone know if he reached that goal?

It is also mentioned in the Herald-Leader by Mike Fields that past winners of Mr.Basketball in the 15th Region has been King Kelly,Ervin Stepp,Todd May,John Pelphrey and J.R.Vanhoose, so if Elisha gets the award he won't be the first in the 15th to do so, he would join an elite group!
The King Wrote:As all fans should be. And they probably post that in threads about those teams. But when a poster consistently comes into threads about a team (which isn't his) to make less than positive comments, it makes it appear as if there is an agenda. Once, twice, or maybe even a few times in a season could be understandable. But when it happens nearly every game, and the individual rarely sees the game, you have to wonder. Most of his comments do have some validity, but they appear to be in a way to lessen any SV accomplishment.

You said: "Just because he is pointing out the reasons that the rest of the state are not handing the crown to SV does not mean he is being hateful to SV."

I agree with that to some extent, but the frequency of his "pointing out the reasons" clearly shows he has a chip on his shoulder. This is a very similar situation to what Elliott County posters faced last year. I guess it's hard for the fans of schools that don't have as much internet support to stomach the ones that do. You would think last year's state title would help with that somewhat, but I guess not...

:Thumbs: good post!!
Not against anybody! Just a realist and understand the much more difficult task for a team to be successful in this area, Lex and NKY!
loubballfan Wrote:Not against anybody! Just a realist and understand the much more difficult task for a team to be successful in this area, Lex and NKY!

I don't mean anything negative by this, but to me it is much easier to build a program in those big cities strictly because of numbers in those schools. We played Crosby this weekend at the Middle School State Tournament and their coach told me they have around 1200 kids in grades 6-8 while we have barely over 100. That makes it much harder to build an elite team.