Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do any coaches want to do a top 10 ranking for the 15th this year?
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:I agree with most of what you've said (and I respect what Coach Howard and you are doing at Betsy Layne),but to say you beat us 2 games is not really accurate. You beat us 3, we beat you 2, and after we beat you at Dorton we put 15 minutes on the clock and played it straight with multiple subs on both sides who would not have played in a regular game. The game we beat you at Dorton was refereed by coaches by both sides. It definitely didn't have a real game atmosphere (you weren't there, but when it ended I asked my assistant coach if that felt anything like a real game because it sure didn't to me. Your players didn't even try to foul with some time left in the game down by 2.) The game you beat us at BL did have real referees and was played just like a real game. I would rank you higher but based only on that one game with referees (and regular rotations). Either way, I think there is very little difference between Betsy Layne, us, Johns Creek, Belfry, and Herald Whitaker. At this level you never know what team is going to show up each night.

First off, I'm sorry if I came off a little aggressive. If it sounded like I was attacking you're program at all, I'm truly sorry. I have great respect for what you guys do, especially considering Dorton is a pretty small school. But I only make my points because I think Betsy Layne, Dorton and John's Creek are all even teams. I think the only way you can rank them at this time is based on results. The games at Dorton, I admit I was totally not aware of other than the results. Do I think on any given night Betsy Layne, Dorton and John's Creek could beat each other, absolutely. As for Whitaker, losing the two players I think does hurt them quite a bit. Also, Belfry has played us all very tough but to my knowledge, have the beat Betsy Layne, Dorton or John's Creek? Have they played them tough, yeah but they have lost to teams I thought they should have beat as well. I think Johnson Central and Adams would be on the same level as Belfry and Whitaker since Central has beat both of them recently and only squeezed by Adams. I think the top three of the region are on a level of their own, with Betsy Layne, Dorton and Johns Creek just below them. I think at this moment, this can change with later games, Adams, Belfry, Johnson Central, Mullins, Virgie and Whitaker are pretty dead even but do not know of any of them beating BL, Dorton or John's Creek since pre-season tournaments or since players have left teams. If I have been wrongly informed about Whitaker losing two players, than I think not only do you add Whitaker to the list with BL, Dorton and JC but you have to add Johnson Central as well. Do I think any of the 6 listed above can beat BL, Dorton or Johns Creek... absolutely! I honestly try to do my rankings based on what have you done head to head against each other. So I mean no disrespect to anyone, just tired of our boys doing all they can on the floor to get respect and some people acting like they have done nothing at all.
bball_fan Wrote:First off, I'm sorry if I came off a little aggressive. If it sounded like I was attacking you're program at all, I'm truly sorry. I have great respect for what you guys do, especially considering Dorton is a pretty small school. But I only make my points because I think Betsy Layne, Dorton and John's Creek are all even teams. I think the only way you can rank them at this time is based on results. The games at Dorton, I admit I was totally not aware of other than the results. Do I think on any given night Betsy Layne, Dorton and John's Creek could beat each other, absolutely. As for Whitaker, losing the two players I think does hurt them quite a bit. Also, Belfry has played us all very tough but to my knowledge, have the beat Betsy Layne, Dorton or John's Creek? Have they played them tough, yeah but they have lost to teams I thought they should have beat as well. I think Johnson Central and Adams would be on the same level as Belfry and Whitaker since Central has beat both of them recently and only squeezed by Adams. I think the top three of the region are on a level of their own, with Betsy Layne, Dorton and Johns Creek just below them. I think at this moment, this can change with later games, Adams, Belfry, Johnson Central, Mullins, Virgie and Whitaker are pretty dead even but do not know of any of them beating BL, Dorton or John's Creek since pre-season tournaments or since players have left teams. If I have been wrongly informed about Whitaker losing two players, than I think not only do you add Whitaker to the list with BL, Dorton and JC but you have to add Johnson Central as well. Do I think any of the 6 listed above can beat BL, Dorton or Johns Creek... absolutely! I honestly try to do my rankings based on what have you done head to head against each other. So I mean no disrespect to anyone, just tired of our boys doing all they can on the floor to get respect and some people acting like they have done nothing at all.

I didn't think it was aggressive at all nor attacking our program. I was just pointing out that I didn't feel that you were exactly accurate with what you said about the games at Dorton against you. We had just practiced and my boys had left for the night. I was at home and got a call saying BL was there to play us (a text didn't come through from Coach Howard confirming we would play that night). I called my players and had them come back. I felt obligated to let everyone play since I had called them to come back for a second time and it was supposed to be a scrimmage. In the 1st game I played the bench a little more than I usually would but definitely tried to win it. The 15 minute scrimmage we both played everyone and tried to win it in the end with my starters but couldn't do it. When we came to BL both teams played their regular rotation (BL led by 14 at one point but we came back) and BL won by 3. I would rank BL higher (but based only on the game at BL which was played just like a regular game).

I haven't seen Herald Whitaker since our tournament so I have no idea how they are playing. I had heard they had lost a couple of players.

Johns Creek plays some of the best defense in the region and you guys are good all the way around. Belfry hasn't beat any of the top ranked teams, but based on our game last night, they could definitely beat us on any given night. We hit 4 of 5 free throws (all at the end of the game) or they probably would have beat us.
This thread makes me wish we could have a tournament with Adams, Belfry, Betsy Layne, Dorton, Johns Creek, Johnson Central, Mullins, Virgie and Whitaker. Would be a ton of great ball games! I would throw South Floyd into this too though.
bball_fan Wrote:This thread makes me wish we could have a tournament with Adams, Belfry, Betsy Layne, Dorton, Johns Creek, Johnson Central, Mullins, Virgie and Whitaker. Would be a ton of great ball games! I would throw South Floyd into this too though.

Call the Sportsplex and have them put it together. Just ask them not to charge $7.00 a head for admission. Lol.
I would love to do the rankings again this year like we did last year but everytime I do I only get votes sent to my pm by DowerDawg and Coach Davis. I would love to do this but people have to send me their votes. And we have to get all results posted.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:Call the Sportsplex and have them put it together. Just ask them not to charge $7.00 a head for admission. Lol.

Wonder what it would cost to have it between the College Gym in Pikeville and the Goose? The sportsplex would be by far the best place but could you get everyone to commit and who would do the drawing to place the teams?
Mullins is having a good season,8-1. They have two hard game next very talented team.jc and pikeville.
My ranking

1:louisa
2:pikeville
3:paintsville
4:dorton
5:johns creek
6:Mullins
7:betsy layne
8:belfry
9:millard
10:virgie
bball_fan Wrote:Wonder what it would cost to have it between the College Gym in Pikeville and the Goose? The sportsplex would be by far the best place but could you get everyone to commit and who would do the drawing to place the teams?

Be hard to work it into the season with schedules already full, but we would love to play in a tournament like this.
Didnt Mullins get beat by Betsy Layne and only win by 1 at home against Millard, if thats true why is Mullins ranked higher than BL
Hey Dortonwildcat that would be a good idea for a holiday tounament
JC_Bearcats Wrote:Hey Dortonwildcat that would be a good idea for a holiday tounament

Yes it would. I always enjoy playing in Christmas Tournaments and tournaments like the 15th Region tournament at the Expo which they didn't have this year. Maybe we can do something like that next year.
it would be good to get about 8 teams from around the region to play, to show off some of the best teams and players this region has to offer esp. for next year, i know Pikeville, JC, and Dorton are going to be tough again net year. they would be good representatives for Pike co to in a tournament like that.
Lousia will be pretty decent next year, we maybe be a top team or may be the youngest team in the region once we have a few questions answered. Johnson Central will be really good next year, Paintsville will be on same level as Dorton and Pikeville next year too. Floyd County though as a whole will be extremely down. We start two 5th graders, two 6th graders and one true 7th graders on our b team and we have a really good chance of winning the Floyd County B team tournament.
Bball fan 23 Wrote:Mullins is having a good season,8-1. They have two hard game next very talented team.jc and pikeville.
My ranking

1:louisa
2:pikeville
3:paintsville
4:dorton
5:johns creek
6:Mullins
7:betsy layne
8:belfry
9:millard
10:virgie

Alright, Johnson Central and Maggoffin just by results this season should be top 10, and going by results, we have beat mullins head to head and dorton. But it's not like I have said that before or anything. Also, Paintsville has beat Louisa.
I'm going to ask one more time, since I was asked by a coach already, if everyone wants to do the weekly ranking like we have done the last two years. The rule is it has to be a coach, assis. coach or team offical though to vote. Right now I know Myself, Coach Howard, Coach Davis of Dorton, DowerDawg of Louisa and I would guess Bearcat for Johns Creek would vote. If everyone wants to do this, start sending me your votes on Sunday and i'll post the rank results every Sunday night. Send rankings in a PM to me.
wow.. i never knew m rankings would cause such a uproar. i never came to this site to belittle anyone or down play anyone's program. I have a ton of respect for all coaches... no matter the school... coaching takes up time and a lot of it...

I have a ton of respect for Coach Howard, Davis, Rowe, Williams, and coach May and i truly believe that this year is wide open... I have saw every team in Pike Co play... I've also saw Betsy Layne, Harold Whitaker, Louisa, Paintsville, AB Combs and Whitesburg. I have been very adamant about the fact that the top three are interchangeable and below the top three its a dog fight with Dorton, JC, BL, Belfry, Mullins, and i would even throw Virgie in there when they play together... This is as wide open as i have seen basketball in the 15th region and Pike Co in a long time... Truthfully Pikeville, JC, Dorton, Belfry, Mullins, Virgie and even Millard has some talented players. any of these teams could win the county tournament.. If you think i am downing BL your wrong.. I compared you to Belfry who i have said since this thread started should be in the top 10.. They have just had a run of the ball not bouncing their way. i based my to 10 off what i have saw.. I truly believe Dorton, JC, Belfry, and BL are all equal and you may could throw Mullins in there...
i'd also vote on the rankings but i am not a coach but i follow basketball closely...
ifyasmell Wrote:wow.. i never knew m rankings would cause such a uproar. i never came to this site to belittle anyone or down play anyone's program. I have a ton of respect for all coaches... no matter the school... coaching takes up time and a lot of it...

I have a ton of respect for Coach Howard, Davis, Rowe, Williams, and coach May and i truly believe that this year is wide open... I have saw every team in Pike Co play... I've also saw Betsy Layne, Harold Whitaker, Louisa, Paintsville, AB Combs and Whitesburg. I have been very adamant about the fact that the top three are interchangeable and below the top three its a dog fight with Dorton, JC, BL, Belfry, Mullins, and i would even throw Virgie in there when they play together... This is as wide open as i have seen basketball in the 15th region and Pike Co in a long time... Truthfully Pikeville, JC, Dorton, Belfry, Mullins, Virgie and even Millard has some talented players. any of these teams could win the county tournament.. If you think i am downing BL your wrong.. I compared you to Belfry who i have said since this thread started should be in the top 10.. They have just had a run of the ball not bouncing their way. i based my to 10 off what i have saw.. I truly believe Dorton, JC, Belfry, and BL are all equal and you may could throw Mullins in there...

I shouldn't have gotten so defensive yesterday. Some of my anger was fuelled by things happening off of this site but I still believe we have at least earned the right to be a top five team in the region. Everyone has a right to their opinion.
Belfry has played their last 3 and a half games without one of their starters TJ Dotson with a broken foot and still have played those teams very close won at lenore, lost a close one at mullins and lost another close one to dorton and played kermit sat. but don't have the result for that game yet. All these games were on the road. So hopfully we will get a deeper bench during this time and be a better team by tourn. time. Good luck to all the teams in Pike CO.
i would just like to say that pikeville beat betsy layne by 17 without ryder with a great perfromence from all the players they are slowly becoming how they were this summer and later that week they played hazard and beat them by 31
so you could not rank louisa ahead of pikeville until they beat them.. and when pikeville played betsy layne it was ryders first game back since football so you could not rank them above them as well until pikeville gets beat they should be #1
I believe Dorton is going to Knott Co. this weekend if any of you want to play them! Mullins, JC, Pikeville, Louisa, Betsy Layne, Paintsville, South Floyd, Martin County, Adams.........etc. Johnson Central, Hazard, Chavies, Knox Middle.........Virgie, Elkhorn City, Carr Creek.........Just thought I mention it and see what the rest of you are going to do.
For what its worth louisa eighth grade defeated prestonsburg jv by 10 points last night. We also beat Paintsville Jv by 7 over the break. We lost to Shelby Valley Jv by 6.
I was @ the SV game and everybody knows SV plays mostly Freshmen and Sophmores on their varsity. Lawrence County is good but the players that play JV for SV are younger kids also.
Paintsville let us know today that they will not play our(Louisa) 8th grade team this year. No room on the schedule. I hate that. We were looking forward to playing them. Our schedule is full also but we would be glad to play them on a Sunday if necessary.
Uk2kforever Wrote:i would just like to say that pikeville beat betsy layne by 17 without ryder with a great perfromence from all the players they are slowly becoming how they were this summer and later that week they played hazard and beat them by 31

Hopefully Pikeville will reschedule with Louisa. After that we can all see who is number 1.
How can paintsville or pikeville not want to play Louisa looks like you would want to play the best teams in the region maybe Louisa needs to ask some of the other teams to play them Dorton John Creek Belfry Virgie then maybe they can tell who is the best team.

I think pikeville wants to play Louisa after Louisa beat them in football

And as far as paintsville not wanting to play They don't even play in a conference com-on-man

Let's get the best teams playing each other
And find out who is the best
Wildcat man Wrote:How can paintsville or pikeville not want to play Louisa looks like you would want to play the best teams in the region maybe Louisa needs to ask some of the other teams to play them Dorton John Creek Belfry Virgie then maybe they can tell who is the best team.

I think pikeville wants to play Louisa after Louisa beat them in football

And as far as paintsville not wanting to play They don't even play in a conference com-on-man

Let's get the best teams playing each other
And find out who is the best
It's not Pikeville not wanting to play Louisa, it was cancelled due to weather or anticipated weather. Game was scheduled for Monday, I believe? Snow started falling Monday in some areas North of Pikeville, as I recall.
Paul Preece and myself worked very hard at trying to reschedule a Louisa vs. Paintsville game. My dates won't work for him and his dates don't work for me. We both have kids playing practically every night of the week. Don't make this a Paintsville is dodging Louisa thread. Love those kids on the Louisa team and still see some of them at church on sunday. Paul Preece said it best, " These kids will be seeing alot of each other on the floor in high school " Good luck the rest of the way to all teams.
Paintsville is playing Pikeville on Jan 28 at Paintsville.