Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry Pirate Practice - Any Reports From Day 1?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:As for Belfry running the spread option I am torn as to my prediction of how this will turn out. From a personnell standpoint it is brilliant. The Pirates have 4 oustanding HB's returning but they are all "speed" backs.

Varney is as versatile of a threat as nearly anyone in the state. The kid can run, pass, catch, block, play DB, and kick. He is clearly the Pirate's best weapon and IMO the 2nd best RB in the mountains returning behind Fugate. Getting the ball in his hands every posession is a very wise decision, especially with an unproven QB returning and the lack of a FB.

Chase Maynard has the potential to be a superstar and is IMO on the verge of a huge season. Lovern and Carroll also would start at HB over the majority of other RB's in the state, and Lovern has experience at the WR position. Throw in the fact Corey Charles has became a sure handed receiver and the line will be vastly inexperienced and much smaller than last year and seems like a perfect fit. My guess would be to use Varney as the QB with a split backfield of Carroll and Maynard. Trot out Lovern and Charles at the receiver spots. This would also allow the opportunity to use Lovern on reverses and bubble screens so Belfry can let him make plays with his speed and agility.

My biggest concerns though are:
1) The read option isn't about balancing carries (something Haywood is notorious for out his wishbone), it is about reading the defense's reaction and the QB making the decision. If Belfry tries to give Thomas 12 carries, Chase 12 carries, Lovern 8 carries, and Carroll 8 carries every game they will be aking away from the essence of what makes this offense work. This isn't a huge concern as I have more faith in Haywood and their staff to let this happen, but it is tangible.

2) Spreading the defense certainly will loosen the box up, but at the same time if Belfry cannot establish an effective passing game with multiple targets this will be nullified. Pass blocking in recent years has been attrocious. The zone read is not predicated on quick passes, it is predicated on play action and freezing defenders with the threat of the run. If the line cannot gve time for play action to develop (which has been the case against better defenses recently) Varney will be a sitting duck and defenses will start stacking the line more and more.

3) Belfry plays Iron Man football. The wishbone allows the defense the least ammount of time on the field because Belfry may very well milk an entire quarter with their drive. With the wishbone if Belfry wasn't clicking on offense and had a 3 and out (penalties, needing to make adjustments, etc) then they still would milk 3 minutes off the clock with their posession. With this offense Belfry may only milk a minute. The Pirates have been able to demoralize teams in the 4th Quarter thanks to their grinding offense, this may take away from that. Belfry's defense is usually sound, but alot of that is due to the fact that the Pirates may have some major flaws and weaknesses that they can easily mask by limited posessions in the course of a game. When you know you may only have the ball 6 or 7 times it forces a coach to playcall more agressively and get away from probing Belfry to uncover their weaknesses and mismatches.

4) The shotgun snap, increase in passes, and longer time on the handoffs could spel for more turnovers. Ball control will be ESSENTIAL. Belfry has fumbled alot in recent years due to the progressions of the belly and taking the football in and out of the back's chest. In the zone read a QB may keep the ball in the back's chest for a full two seconds before making his decision.

All in all I think that this could be the best way for Belfry to go. Pirate fans better be ready though. This offense will have a substantial learning curve for these kids and the Pirate's schedule is LOADED. Belfry may take their lumps throughout the regular season.

I agree with everything you said there. But the fact of the matter is your opinion dont mean anything if the line cant block. If they run a spread offense and pass more often then, Belfry will have to devolep their linemen better. Down blocking, traping/pulling, double-teaming are great things in the bone...Things there used too. But in a shotgun spread offense that will rarely be used. A great example of going too a smashmouth type offense to a spread type offense is East Ridge last season. not saying Belfry will be like East Ridge, but you can get what im saying. Anyways good luck Belfry and Coach Haywood. I know if anyone can pull this off its Haywood and his Pirates!
Messages In This Thread
Belfry Pirate Practice - Any Reports From Day 1? - by Real Badman - 07-31-2009, 12:43 AM