Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hillard Howard into KHSAA Hall of Fame
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I often think that Howard stepped away too soon at Pikeville.

He later came back and coached Letcher Central and helped get their program off the ground. He actually did a solid job there I thought, took them to the Semi-Finals one year if I recall (I know they played Highlands, may have been in their region though), but Pikeville was a powerhouse program that was still at it's peak when he left.

Had Hilliard continued coaching at Pikeville until 2009:
- Would Pikeville have won another State Title?
- Would Pikeville had the little dip in their program before MacNamee came the 2nd time where their feeder system had to be rebuilt essentially?
- Where would he have finished on the all-time wins list if he had kept coaching?

I am not sure he gets past Beechwood in 2003 and 2004, but I think he would have had a shot though. I also think he would have had a great shot in 1999 and 2000.
All great questions, many that I have pondered too often.

If he coaches through 2009, I don't think 380 is off the table.

I think 2007 would have been an excellent shot for a title run as well. That team had as much talent as any in the 2000's. I definitely would see several more Region Titles.

The Program went through so much change from 2005-2010, it really is a testament to the job Coach Mac has done to get things back to a pretty high level that quickly. Stability has been a big key.

Of course, it is easy to say how much more good could have been done. There is also another side of the coin, that while unlikely, is entirely possible. What if the welcome is outstayed? Who knows? Of course he did Coach for 2 seasons in 1994 and 1995, before giving up the reigns for good.
Messages In This Thread
Hillard Howard into KHSAA Hall of Fame - by Hatz - 10-25-2016, 03:59 PM
Hillard Howard into KHSAA Hall of Fame - by Panther Thunder - 10-25-2016, 10:44 PM