Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will there ever be another republican president?
Beetle01 Wrote:I think there will be another Republican president, but not until they move a little more in the libertarian direction on some issues.

The fact that Republicans and Democrats seem to disagree on EVERY single subject that comes up just isn't rational. And since the Dems have the lock down on all the freeloaders and unions, that doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room for Republicans.

Even though I am a registered Republican, I don't really identify my beliefs with the current Republican party. I agree with them it seems on probably 60% of issues, and there are some Dem policies I think are worth a shot.

The number 1 priority for the Republican platform needs to be bringing jobs back to America and the policies that will result in that goal. They need to hammer those policies into the heads of Americans for the next 4 years, and stick to them.

Many Americans, especially middle-lower middle class white Americans view Republicans as the party for the rich and the corporations. They need to do whatever is necessary to remove that stigma that is attached to them. What that may be is for them to decide, but if they expect to not get whooped 75% of the time (made up number), they need to appeal to those middle-lower middle class white Americans on issues other than religion, abortion, and guns.

I just don't ever seen them making much inroads with the minorities in the next 10 years.
I agree with most of what you said above, Beetle. However, I see no reason to abandon the Second Amendment or any other Constitutional right. There is no reason for a presidential candidate to dwell on the abortion issue, but Romney did not do so. As for religion, I did not hear Romney making religious issues a part of his campaign. (The Democrats ran a whisper campaign accusing Romney of being a member of a cult.)

Where I agree with you is that Republicans need to adopt part of the Libertarian Party's core philosophy, but they need to do so while avoiding totally alienating the religious right. Free markets generate jobs and free markets are at the core of libertarian beliefs. Jobs, jobs, jobs should be the Republicans' message every time any of their candidates step in front of a microphone.

Another area where I think that Republicans can lure people away from the nanny stater Democratic Party is to take the lead in liberalizing drug laws. People should not be jailed for possessing and using drugs of any kind. They should be nailed to the wall if they commit any violent crime while under the influence of those drugs or if they provide drugs to children of any age. Republican candidates should campaign in the inner cities and promise to release non-violent drug offenders and put away violent offenders for even longer sentences. This position would be a tough sell to the religious right, but I believe that the case can be made to them.

Softening the nation's laws on drug use could be used to help sell an overall program of more personal liberty, more personal accountability, and a smaller, less intrusive federal government.
Messages In This Thread
Will there ever be another republican president? - by Hoot Gibson - 11-12-2012, 09:26 PM