Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg 6 Pikeville 3 (15th All A Final)
Live Maroon Wrote:I have to question the extended season / additional playing period deal. I know I'm an old guy and "out of touch" with today's methods, but when I was in school, it was nothing for a kid to play all three sports. But everything has become so specialized and "year round" now that it really takes away from small schools' ability to challenge against bigger schools in all sports. For example, no Spring Football Practice for Pikeville this year because so many of their players are involved in other sports. Pikeville has always been good in baseball, dating back to my high school days in the early `80's. Fundamentals are taught at an early age. Yes, the player must continue to work and improve, but by the time they walk out on the high school field, they should have most of that down. Too late to learn by that time. Just tired of all the AAU stuff requiring players to pick one sport and play it constantly.
It is just the reality. If you want to compete against those bigger schools, you must do what they do. Shelby Valley would have never won the State Title without AAU. Pikeville would have never made a run to the Final Four without Summer/Fall Baseball. Lawrence County could not have finished runner up without it. If you look at the more successful teams in baseball or basketball, they have players that play year round.

This does not mean you cannot play all sports. Taylor Ratliff played baseball through out the summer and fall while still playing basketball and football. It can be done, granted, it probably is more taxing on the player. It can be done though. It does place smaller schools at a disadvantage. I encourage all of the kids I talk to to play all sports, but I also advise them to work on the one they love year round. It all boils down to winning, and at a place like PHS, you must win or people lose jobs.
Messages In This Thread
Prestonsburg 6 Pikeville 3 (15th All A Final) - by Panther Thunder - 04-09-2012, 12:45 PM