Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the minimum wage be lowered?
Hoot Gibson Wrote:You would just offer them a lower starting wage. In some cases, companies would cut current salaries to reflect the supply of labor. In other cases, new employees might be hired at a rate above the current minimum wage, as they are now in areas of low unemployment.

The current system is really unfair because it does not take into account the local unemployment rate, availability of labor, or cost of living. Having the same minimum wage in areas with a low cost of living like Mississippi as areas with a high cost of living such as northern Virginia makes no sense. Allowing a free market to set the entry level wages would be a much more fair system.

Our welfare system (including unemployment benefits) would keep the actual starting wages from dropping too low, especially if our politicians began fulfilling their constitutional duty of securing our borders.

Someone had stated earlier that current min. wage employees should still recieve the $8.25 per hour even though the min. wage was decreased. I think this would cause problems in the workfore especially if there were different pay rates for the same positions at the same company.

I agree, however I would think that nothern Virginia with the higher cost of living would have fewer min. wage positions than Mississippi.

IMO, securing our borders would help our country and economy more than most realize.
Messages In This Thread
Should the minimum wage be lowered? - by Stardust - 07-31-2010, 08:45 PM
Should the minimum wage be lowered? - by Stardust - 08-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Should the minimum wage be lowered? - by Old School - 08-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Should the minimum wage be lowered? - by Stardust - 08-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Should the minimum wage be lowered? - by Beetle01 - 08-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Should the minimum wage be lowered? - by bluedog - 08-10-2010, 12:29 PM