Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No More Apple Bowl
As JC's Coach Matney was discussing next year's football schedule's on his radio show tonight, he noted that Paintsville High School had notified JC that they would not sign the contract to play the 2009 Apple Bowl. The Apple Bowl started in 1974 and has been played every year since, drawing thousands of fans to the game annually.
I think that they should pit Paintsville and Johnson Central against other schools. You need to showcase both Painstville schools during this festival. Just play a doubleheader. And no I am not from Johnson County
joethegreek Wrote:I think that they should pit Paintsville and Johnson Central against other schools. You need to showcase both Painstville schools during this festival. Just play a doubleheader. And no I am not from Johnson County

They tried something similar several years ago with the Big Sandy Bowl, just wasn't much interest and was canceled after a few years.
Old School Wrote:As JC's Coach Matney was discussing next year's football schedule's on his radio show tonight, he noted that Paintsville High School had notified JC that they would not sign the contract to play the 2009 Apple Bowl. The Apple Bowl started in 1974 and has been played every year since, drawing thousands of fans to the game annually.
He was pretty clear how he felt about the situation.
The game has just lost its interest. JC has dominated it latley. I agree with having two different games.
Cant wait to hear the reasoning (AKA "the spin and the coverup") from the "Classy One" on this.:popcorn:
I would say Paintsville doesnt want to play anymore because they dont want the scoreboard ran up on them.
bac2369 Wrote:I would say Paintsville doesnt want to play anymore because they dont want the scoreboard ran up on them.
The thing is, the scoreboard never was run up on them. It could have been much, much, much worse had it been wanted.
It was 42-0 at halftime... and we gladly stop at 50 some. We could have hang over 100 that game, and should have for what they have done which I will not mention on here.
Well I know that LC is playing next year and if they can get a game changed on the schedule they will being playing them in the apple bowl
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
Batpuff Wrote:Well I know that LC is playing next year and if they can get a game changed on the schedule they will being playing them in the apple bowl

Playing who? Paintsville or JC.
I hate seeing this game being called to an end. It was a great rivalry (most years) and turn the town upside-down with school pride for a solid week, but in the recent years things have started to escalate and has eventually gotten out of hand. I played in it for 4 years and it wasn't a game that mattered or held any ground as far as playoff implications are concerned, but you sure didn't want to lose to the "other school" in Paintsville for bragging rights. A lot of great players came through and participated in it...and aside from the District Championsip every year with Pikeville, a few Regional Championships, and our state-semi final appearance this game was always the most enjoyable and fun.

As for future ideas, the Big Sandy Bowl was stopped around 2004 or 2005 (not sure) which allowed both Paintsville and JC to play on the same field the first or second week of the season. Now JC hosts the Big Sandy RECC Bowl and I'm pretty sure Paintsville has a bowl of their own too. It was a great event, but financially the schools were really kinda losing out due to the splitting of the gate and the whole 9 down the middle. Also, one year the Apple Bowl was scheduled for the week after the festival so the teams held another event similar to the Big Sandy Bowl that was known as the Apple Classic....only lasted one year. However, I think something like this could be played every year at JC due to the field being turf and the much larger stands and standing room for larger crowds. Whatever is decided, I'm sure it will be in the best interests of the schools!
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Cant wait to hear the reasoning (AKA "the spin and the coverup") from the "Classy One" on this.:popcorn:
Paintsville isn't playing JC anymore. Period. No spin, no coverup. Just ain't playing again. Does JC need a reason? JC has a good program and should dominate this game as they have in recent years. No biggie. You all can keep the barrel....It just shows that Paintsville has more Apple Bowl wins...LOLBig Grin
blackcat_mvp6 Wrote:The game has just lost its interest. JC has dominated it latley. I agree with having two different games.

They were never in any hurry to stop playing the game when THEY were winning.

Just a sad day for Johnson County, really. Sends a good message. If you can't beat 'em, don't even try.

In JC's shoes, I absolutely would not share a field and split a gate with them under any circumstances. If they don't want to play the game, they shouldn't get half our crowd's money either. Period.
ryandamaste5 Wrote:It was 42-0 at halftime... and we gladly stop at 50 some. We could have hang over 100 that game, and should have for what they have done which I will not mention on here.

Yeah...coulda been worse.....stopped at 50 some with a minute and a half left in the game....and please don't say it was just the JV and frosh...cause there is video. LOL
And go ahead and tell us what Paintsville did.....I am really curious. PM if you like.
I was being a little sarcastic at the first of this post, but really do want to know just what a lot of JC fans think PHS did. Or is it just what they have been told. I know I saw a video a JC student put online that really shows very little class and a whole bunch of slanderous remarks during a rally for this game. It wouldn't bother me to see these teams never play each other again in any sport because people don't know how to enjoy what it could be and would rather try and humiliate kids all with the blessings of people supposedly in charge. Befor the game was even played this year, there was talk of PHS not playing JC in anything unless it was tourney. You say you won't mention it on here.....why not??? You have insinuated that PHS has done something wrong.....back it up.
Most of us know what you won't say. Just because JC broke KHSAA rules and apparently someone with PHS connections called it on them you all want to believe what the very birds that broke the rules say when they tell you that PHS is evil. Like they are the ones that were wronged.
Look at it this way....if you see someone break the law and you call the police and the police arrest the person and they get sentenced to jail....is it your fault that they went to jail? Some would have you believe so, but they are the very ones in jail.
Here are some plausible reasons for PHS not playing the Apple Bowl again:
1) In recent years JC has absolutely whipped the pants off of PHS.
2) JC has never, ever signed a release for a player of any sport to play at PHS, even though there has been hundreds that PHS had signed to go to JC.
3) Pep Rallys for this game at PHS has never tried to embarrass or humiliate anyone from JC, especially kids. JC has several times tried only to mock, make fun of and even do and say horendous things about kids from PHS during their rallys. Good enuff reason on it's own to never play a school like that again in anything.
4) PHS will not let JC ever get the most wins in the Apple Bowl.
There is four reasons not to play. Can't wait to see one in particular try and make it about BMR.....he always finds a way to blame everything on him.
Diogenes Wrote:They were never in any hurry to stop playing the game when THEY were winning.

Just a sad day for Johnson County, really. Sends a good message. If you can't beat 'em, don't even try.

In JC's shoes, I absolutely would not share a field and split a gate with them under any circumstances. If they don't want to play the game, they shouldn't get half our crowd's money either. Period.

LOL....a sad day??? You must lead a great life if this is a sad day.
Seriosly....there might be more resons.
The Guru Wrote:LOL....a sad day??? You must lead a great life if this is a sad day.
Seriosly....there might be more resons.

It's always good to squeeze another epic struggle with another traditional EKY football powerhouse (to go along with Jenkins, Allen Central, Phelps, et al.) onto an already crowded schedule to prepare for the playoffs in front of the tens and tens of fans who will pack themselves into Memorial Field to watch it. That's a great replacement for three plus decades of rivalry and tradition.

If there's a sensible motive for this move, other than just childishly guarding the all-time series mark, I can't fathom it.
The Guru Wrote:Paintsville isn't playing JC anymore. Period. No spin, no coverup. Just ain't playing again. Does JC need a reason? JC has a good program and should dominate this game as they have in recent years. No biggie. You all can keep the barrel....It just shows that Paintsville has more Apple Bowl wins...LOLBig Grin

WOW....no disrespect here...I love some of the kids that go to P-Ville. Does P-ville school system know what they are doing?....There are people that travel from out of state to see this game...its a huge money maker....and to say P-ville has more wins..hahaha...that may be true ..but who is chickening out? lol...
I'm curious as to how the P-ville boys football team feels about this...thats like saying give up guys ..you just cant beat the boys across the creek!! I'm shocked
Diogenes Wrote:It's always good to squeeze another epic struggle with another traditional EKY football powerhouse (to go along with Jenkins, Allen Central, Phelps, et al.) onto an already crowded schedule to prepare for the playoffs in front of the tens and tens of fans who will pack themselves into Memorial Field to watch it. That's a great replacement for three plus decades of rivalry and tradition.

If there's a sensible motive for this move, other than just childishly guarding the all-time series mark, I can't fathom it.
I am being serious here....really, I am.
Guarding the series mark is not and never has been a factor. Getting killed in a game that can't help you get ready for the play offs is a viable reason. Sure Paintsville has more wins. But what...30 points being their biggest margin of victory and that being possibly the best PHS team ever. As long as the games were at least competetive, it was great. But it reall isn't even interesting to watch anymore. Heck....we couldn't even use our films from the ghame to see what we could have done differently.
Just take the barrell and be happy that your program has really taken off and look for a bigger picture than a win over PHS.
The making fun of and mocking each other goes both ways. I personally have seen papers that P=Ville has thrown all over JC school trashing not only the football players but kids that have no dog in this race as well, and it's not sweet talk...This is between the kids not the parents or staff. It works both ways....1 of the best rivalries in the state and a school as good as Paintsville stopping it...Makes no sense.
Eagle_Fan442 Wrote:WOW....no disrespect here...I love some of the kids that go to P-Ville. Does P-ville school system know what they are doing?....There are people that travel from out of state to see this game...its a huge money maker....and to say P-ville has more wins..hahaha...that may be true ..but who is chickening out? lol...
I'm curious as to how the P-ville boys football team feels about this...thats like saying give up guys ..you just cant beat the boys across the creek!! I'm shocked

Well...it is like this, "the boys" only have a 4 year period for these games. in recent years, PHS boys have been humbled by JC football. They are not jaded and know that if PHS can get their program turned back around that they could very well play with JC. Even win a game every now and then. Look at it like this.....Like me, a lot of kids grew up watching PHS be the football stud in Johnson County. We were ready to assume our roles as the Studs when we got old enuff to play. These memories are very faint if at all to the kids at PHS now, and even the younger kids can't even remember the last Tiger win. So no.....they are not giving up....just regrouping. Retreat doesn't mean surrender.
The Guru Wrote:Well...it is like this, "the boys" only have a 4 year period for these games. in recent years, PHS boys have been humbled by JC football. They are not jaded and know that if PHS can get their program turned back around that they could very well play with JC. Even win a game every now and then. Look at it like this.....Like me, a lot of kids grew up watching PHS be the football stud in Johnson County. We were ready to assume our roles as the Studs when we got old enuff to play. These memories are very faint if at all to the kids at PHS now, and even the younger kids can't even remember the last Tiger win. So no.....they are not giving up....just regrouping. Retreat doesn't mean surrender.

So, you're telling me the boys don't mind quitting this game?
Eagle_Fan442 Wrote:The making fun of and mocking each other goes both ways. I personally have seen papers that P=Ville has thrown all over JC school trashing not only the football players but kids that have no dog in this race as well, and it's not sweet talk...This is between the kids not the parents or staff. It works both ways....1 of the best rivalries in the state and a school as good as Paintsville stopping it...Makes no sense.
I know all about the so called TOP 10 LISTS, And they are the most disgusting things I have ever wittnessed. Trust me in that neither of my kids were a part of any lists except being named in the JC ones. Those things were done by kids and well.....kids don't exactly have the best judgement sometimes. The things that upset me the most are when admin. was asked to not let the skits done at JCHS during their pep rally be hurtful or slanderous against kids from PHS. The admin. promised there wouldn't be anything like that and they lied. The rally skits were hurtful, tasteless and meaningless to say the least. Heck, they even poked fun at a girl from PHS because she is pregnant and JC even has a daycare for their students kids for crying out loud.
PHS as a school has never and will never allow their kids to partisipate in anything that is just being done to try and hurt kids from another school. I am not trying to be mean here or anything but who in their right minds could support a school system that allows their kids to not only think like that but condones that behavior? That has to be the biggest thing that people who have kids attending JC would be embarrassed about that their school does. I wouldn't stand for it for one second.
Eagle_Fan442 Wrote:So, you're telling me the boys don't mind quitting this game?
yeah...I guess that is what I am saying. I played at PHS during their glory days of the late 70's and early 80's. We beat JC all 4 years and to tell you the truth....our wins and losses in the play-offs mean a lot more to this day to me. So I am sure that losing 4 or 5 in a row to JC will mean even less.
I honstly believe that all there ever was to any rivalry was brought on by people with a genuine hatred for the other school. There once was a time that every school around wanted nothing more than to beat Paintsville in any sport. Hard for a school to have a rival when everyone hates you...lol
Armchair QB Wrote:He was pretty clear how he felt about the situation.
How did he feel? And why would he have these feelings?
I guess this is where we have to agree to disagree. I see BOTH schools poking fun at each other, not just one. Most of these boys are friends.
Eagle_Fan442 Wrote:I guess this is where we have to agree to disagree. I see BOTH schools poking fun at each other, not just one. Most of these boys are friends.
When I say school, I am not talking about the kids....they are a product of the school. I am talking about administrators and people in charge. You have actually wittnessed PHS administrators poking fun or allowing kids to act like that? I have not and I am one that would look them in the eye and tell them that that is not right and they need to leave. I would let everyone that would stand still and listen about it too. So if you know anything like that where there is proof and not just hearsay, please let me know.
The Guru Wrote:When I say school, I am not talking about the kids....they are a product of the school. I am talking about administrators and people in charge. You have actually wittnessed PHS administrators poking fun or allowing kids to act like that? I have not and I am one that would look them in the eye and tell them that that is not right and they need to leave. I would let everyone that would stand still and listen about it too. So if you know anything like that where there is proof and not just hearsay, please let me know.

I was talking about the kids. I don't know exactly what you are talking about though when you say administrators and people in charge making fun of kids. I have personally never seen this.
The Guru Wrote:Yeah...coulda been worse.....stopped at 50 some with a minute and a half left in the game....and please don't say it was just the JV and frosh...cause there is video. LOL
And go ahead and tell us what Paintsville did.....I am really curious. PM if you like.
I was being a little sarcastic at the first of this post, but really do want to know just what a lot of JC fans think PHS did. Or is it just what they have been told. I know I saw a video a JC student put online that really shows very little class and a whole bunch of slanderous remarks during a rally for this game. It wouldn't bother me to see these teams never play each other again in any sport because people don't know how to enjoy what it could be and would rather try and humiliate kids all with the blessings of people supposedly in charge. Befor the game was even played this year, there was talk of PHS not playing JC in anything unless it was tourney. You say you won't mention it on here.....why not??? You have insinuated that PHS has done something wrong.....back it up.
Most of us know what you won't say. Just because JC broke KHSAA rules and apparently someone with PHS connections called it on them you all want to believe what the very birds that broke the rules say when they tell you that PHS is evil. Like they are the ones that were wronged.
Look at it this way....if you see someone break the law and you call the police and the police arrest the person and they get sentenced to jail....is it your fault that they went to jail? Some would have you believe so, but they are the very ones in jail.
Here are some plausible reasons for PHS not playing the Apple Bowl again:
1) In recent years JC has absolutely whipped the pants off of PHS.
2) JC has never, ever signed a release for a player of any sport to play at PHS, even though there has been hundreds that PHS had signed to go to JC.
3) Pep Rallys for this game at PHS has never tried to embarrass or humiliate anyone from JC, especially kids. JC has several times tried only to mock, make fun of and even do and say horendous things about kids from PHS during their rallys. Good enuff reason on it's own to never play a school like that again in anything.
4) PHS will not let JC ever get the most wins in the Apple Bowl.
There is four reasons not to play. Can't wait to see one in particular try and make it about BMR.....he always finds a way to blame everything on him.
My, but isn't it wonderful to have 56 different accounts where you can try to camoflauge identities.Smile Do you really think you fool anybody?

I can see why you not worried. There will be some "favorite one" now that can chip in the coffer to compensate for the lost revenue. Boy that'll be a subject for countless thousands of PMs , wont it?