Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfield 45 Graves Co. 31
Final
Whoever said this years defense would be better than last years doesn't have a clue. There is no telling how many yards Graves had tonight. Mayfield's offense just had to many weapons for Graves to stop. Congratulations Cardinals on a hard fought win.
Congrats to Mayfield
Glad for al that it was a competitive game, blowouts get old.
Mayfieldsportsfan Wrote:Whoever said this years defense would be better than last years doesn't have a clue. There is no telling how many yards Graves had tonight. Mayfield's offense just had to many weapons for Graves to stop. Congratulations Cardinals on a hard fought win.

I didn't want to go there, for obvious reasons. I think our db's are covering better this year. I don't think our d line is making the penetration it normally does but, I think that's by design. I think they are using the big bodies there to stop the run at the line instead of gassing them by penetrating with them. I think our ends and corners need to get better at containment. They are young though and the last 2 weeks we have played teams with a speedy back and the one last night had a huge line. Our lb's, with the exception of one, are not filling the hole just yet but, they are young and learning. I noticed they are getting better about not running past the ball. I think overall, our defense is behind where it was last year but, that's to be expected when you lose 6 starters. I think they are not that far behind and they are learning. But, the offense is so much more potent. I think a lot of that has to do with utilizing multiple weapons. For the last 3 years, if we got into a tough situation, even the opposing teams water boy knew that the ball was going to Trajon.
Mayfieldsportsfan Wrote:Whoever said this years defense would be better than last years doesn't have a clue. There is no telling how many yards Graves had tonight. Mayfield's offense just had to many weapons for Graves to stop. Congratulations Cardinals on a hard fought win.

I am on the record as saying this year's defense has the potential to be as good as last season. Through 5 games last year we gave up 88 points versus 92 points this season. So we are 4 points off the pace with having swapped out Marshall County and Fort Campbell with Union City and Hopkinsville. I would suggest it's a wash.

I understand we are all disappointed we didn't beat MC and GC by 40, but it doesn't mean the sky is falling. Dew will get it figured out and we will be fine.
Kracken Wrote:I am on the record as saying this year's defense has the potential to be as good as last season. Through 5 games last year we gave up 88 points versus 92 points this season. So we are 4 points off the pace with having swapped out Marshall County and Fort Campbell with Union City and Hopkinsville. I would suggest it's a wash.

I understand we are all disappointed we didn't beat MC and GC by 40, but it doesn't mean the sky is falling. Dew will get it figured out and we will be fine.

I 100% agree. Of course I am forever the optimist when it comes to the Cards. I don't think they are a bad defense. I think they have a good defense. I just think in the end people are going to realize we beat some good teams really bad this year. I also think there is a learning curve involved here and each week these younger players are learning something new.
As far as the scores last year though, a lot of those scores came on the jv. McCracken was also light years better last year.
mysonis55 Wrote:As far as the scores last year though, a lot of those scores came on the jv. McCracken was also light years better last year.

I think for both years, the bulk of the points outside MC and GC came against the JV. I think PT had more 'legit' scores last year, but I can't remember exactly. No doubt MC was light years better last year, but GC is much improved this year. Their Oline is much better, Mathis is a year older, and they have really found some weapons in the Grant and Goately kids.

Bottom line, is this year as good as last? No. Not right now. Can they be as good? Maybe. Like you, I'm optimistic. Are they better than most predicted given what we lost? Yes. Do I have a clue? Probably not. Do we all love our Cards? Absolutely! And that my friends is something we can all agree on.
West is a 3 team race. Any of the 3 can make it to Lexington. East is a 3 team race. Any of the six could win in December. Mayfield as always is in the conversation.
A question that comes to mind after watching the past few Mayfield games... Does this year's team lack the ability to "step on their throat" or "put the nail in the coffin"? In my years, we seemed to do this much earlier than this team... With a lead coming out of halftime a quick three and out and quick score would "put the nail in the coffin" and this team doesn't seem to do this until the 4th quarter.

Could this come to up and bite the Cardinals later in the playoffs against a higher caliber team?
In other terms... do y'all think this year's team lets people hang around longer than in years past?
I truly think this team is so athletic that they feel like they have to make the big play or big hit themselves to be seen. They need to drop that and play team ball. Just play your position, break down instead of going 90 to nothing straight for the hit. Get proper control and win. Individual stats don't mean near as much as the ring.
Well said.