Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pulaski Co. 41 - Somerset 13
I'm surprised, not that Pulaski won because they are going to be good, but that Somerset came out this poorly. It is hard to replace as much talent as Somerset lost especially on the line. They will get better and I expect them to look much better next week.

For those predicting a Belfry blowout, think again. Belfry returns a lot of skill players but they had to replace almost everyone on the offensive and defensive lines. Sounds like the Pirates and Jumpers are in the same boat. Plus, even though it was a loss, Somerset has a game of experience under their belt and Belfry will be playing their first game and with several young guys they will have some jitters. It should be a good game next week.
If Pulaski's freshman running back hadn't scored that last touchdown, my prediction of 35-14 was almost dead-on!

AAAAA vs AA
I'm never goin to listen to cell king again.I lost my pickem game that hurt.Confusednicker:Confusednicker:
That was the worst beatdown, from top to bottom, I've seen in a long time! This game was NEVER in doubt. I guess all the predictions of a 3-4 TD win were right, just on the wrong side. The 5A vs 2A may work in certain situations, but if you look at these 2 rosters, Somerset dressed more players than Pulaski.
Things don't get any easier for Somerset..Belfry awaits! From what I've heard Belfry is big and very skilled with backs and playmakers. Playing at Cam Stadium is never a easy task to overcome either.
64SUR Wrote:I'm never goin to listen to cell king again.I lost my pickem game that hurt.Confusednicker:Confusednicker:

Sorry, PC is better than I thought. Somerset's Line played the worst possible, couldn't block an old Fat Lady. If they don't improve it will be a long year.
Buc-a-roo Wrote:I'm surprised, not that Pulaski won because they are going to be good, but that Somerset came out this poorly. It is hard to replace as much talent as Somerset lost especially on the line. They will get better and I expect them to look much better next week.

For those predicting a Belfry blowout, think again. Belfry returns a lot of skill players but they had to replace almost everyone on the offensive and defensive lines. Sounds like the Pirates and Jumpers are in the same boat. Plus, even though it was a loss, Somerset has a game of experience under their belt and Belfry will be playing their first game and with several young guys they will have some jitters. It should be a good game next week.

Belfry will blow them out. Haywood will control the clock and keep his defense sidelined as much as he can. Belfry by Four touchdowns. :eyeroll:
I may never be allowed in Somerset again, but atleast i was right :biggrin:
I was trick by some of these somerset fan on this site.I feel your pain :Sad04::Sad04::Sad04:
I recant my comments I said earlier in the summer. Don't think the Jumpers will get by NCC again this year.
First of all I would like to say congratulations to Pulaski County! They obviously worked harder and wanted this much more than we did. A BIG congrats to Cox 22 who got offensive player of the game. Cox has torn ACL's in both knees in his first 2 years of highschool and less than a year from his last ACL injury he rushed for well over 100 yards! Could not be more proud of a kid who has this kind of dedication and love for this game! All of PC's players played with heart, determination and class! Great kids and a well deserved win.Well done and good luck to you the rest of the season!
I think a lot of people are putting way to much into this score. A lot of people IMO were overlooking Pulaski. I believe Somerset will still go far in 2a, but Pulaski was underrated last year IMO and they returned a lot this year and I knew they were going to be good. A very good 5a school is supposed to beat a good 2a school. I would say that Pulaski is the only 5a team in the east that can give Harlan Co. a game this year. I would bet 1 million if I had it that Somerset will play Belfry much closer next week.
The problem we have is a lot of times when school's go up in class they play an inferior team from that upper class and it makes it look like 2a is stronger then 3a or 1a is stronger then 2a. I think that if you take a good team who know what they are doing in any class they will beat a team in a lower class about 90% of the time. Now if you take a big jump like 1a on 4a or 2a on 5a then it is about 99%. There are always some exceptions to the rule from time to time but a rule all the same.
hop24 Wrote:I recant my comments I said earlier in the summer. Don't think the Jumpers will get by NCC again this year.

From reading all the comments, I don't think they need to worry about NCC at this point. I seem to remember some comments made earlier this year about Somerset's schedule, "nothing but cupcakes". I know its early and Somerset will be a different team by the end of the year, but it makes you wonder who the cupcake is?
First game of the year, against a very good team. I wouldnt jump off the bandwagon just so soon
Forever Maroon Wrote:The 5A vs 2A may work in certain situations, but if you look at these 2 rosters, Somerset dressed more players than Pulaski.

My bad. I was thinking that football classification is based on average male enrollments, not yearly roster sizes. I guess I just get confused sometimes.
Impressive win. I knew last year after the regional championship game that Pulaski was going to be a team to be reckoned with this year.
It does go by male population in school. My point being a lot of Jumper fans use the "little school vs big school" excuse each year. I was just pointing out that even though PC is the larger school, SHS has more kids on the roster, making the 2a vs 5a argument a weak one
Forever Maroon Wrote:It does go by male population in school.

Oh, okay. Thanks for clarifying.

Maybe the Maroons should petition to get football classifications based on roster size. Then they could play AA ball and clean house.

Good luck with the rest of your season!
Forever Maroon Wrote:It does go by male population in school. My point being a lot of Jumper fans use the "little school vs big school" excuse each year. I was just pointing out that even though PC is the larger school, SHS has more kids on the roster, making the 2a vs 5a argument a weak one

The only advantage locally is that both Pulaski and Southwestern have 3-4 times as many boys to pull from as Somerset does...why they don't get more out for football is a different matter all together. FWIW Somerset's roster looks to be the smallest they have had in at least 5 maybe 6 years.
Pulaski IMO may run the table this season, I don't see a definite loss anywhere on their schedule...Good Luck the rest of the way!
Forever Maroon Wrote:That was the worst beatdown, from top to bottom, I've seen in a long time! This game was NEVER in doubt. I guess all the predictions of a 3-4 TD win were right, just on the wrong side. The 5A vs 2A may work in certain situations, but if you look at these 2 rosters, Somerset dressed more players than Pulaski.

Did you not go to the Harlan County or Simon Kenton games last season then? Just messing with you. Pulaski dominated but I've seen a lot worse beatdowns than that one. I expected a 2-3 touchdown win like I said on the prediction thread but Pulaski was even better than I thought. Good luck the rest of the season, keep improving and I think you've got a real shot to win the region and maybe make the trip to Bowling Green.
Forever Maroon Wrote:It does go by male population in school. My point being a lot of Jumper fans use the "little school vs big school" excuse each year. I was just pointing out that even though PC is the larger school, SHS has more kids on the roster, making the 2a vs 5a argument a weak one

Yes a good school can get a lot of kids to come out for the team even if it's a smaller 2a school, but a large 5a school has way more people to chose from which usually translates into a deeper talent pool. There is a reason why when a competitive Large school plays a competitive small school that 9 times out of 10 the large school wins in Kentucky and every other State in this Country and it has nothing to do with the amount of people on the roster(because only 11 people from that roster can be on the field at a time) so why do you think that is if you think it's a weak argument. Like I said smaller schools beat larger schools all the time when the larger school is a mediocre school, but if it's a good well coached competitive team then usually the larger team will win. You just put up an amazing score on a very good 2a team so if you think Somerset is not as good as advertised then what are you trying to say about your team. If Somerset is a weak 2a team then Pulaski will have a long year in 5a this year. :Thumbs:

This is why theres no gain for a larger school to play a smaller one.
If you win, your suppose to, if you lose, your embarassed.
Belfry by 30
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:This is why theres no gain for a larger school to play a smaller one.

So true.. There's always an excuse when you lose. There's nothing to gain at all for the larger school, Pulaski in this situation.. There was no such argument in the preseason when all the Somerset fans knew they'd beat Pulaski, some even predicting a blowout.

Somerset is fair game when it comes to their sport programs. Needless to say they're always trying to recruit the best from the county schools

I'll come out & say Pulaski will own Somerset for the next few years. So I guess some sort of weak excuse shall come about?
KarnivalKat Wrote:I'll come out & say Pulaski will own Somerset for the next few years. So I guess some sort of weak excuse shall come about?

Sounds like a plan. If the Maroons can string together 4 or 5 consecutive wins in the match-ups with Somerset, the overall series with a school less than half its size will be close to .500. Good luck with that.

FWIW, this is THE best overall Pulaski team I've seen ever. Hopefully, they'll stay healthy and earn a home-field regional final rematch with them mean ol' Black Bears!

I don't see any team in 5A beating Bowling Green in the finals, but you never know. Even a state runner-up trophy would be a first for PC, so still a very worthwhile goal. Best of luck to the Maroons.
Just saying no matter what size SCHOOL PC & SHS are shouldn't matter when the Jumpers have more on the roster than PC. That excuse is gone. Pc doesn't pick and choose from the males in the school. The kids that play at shs are within 2-3 miles of school.. Not that hard to get players from that close to school. Pulaski has kids spread out 15-20 miles away. That makes it a lot harder to get get those kids. Add in the fact shs has over 100 years of football tradition and pc started playing football in the early 80s, plus its a cross-town rivalry, classification shouldn't matter. To the point of domination, that was in reference to this series.
Forever Maroon Wrote:Just saying no matter what size SCHOOL PC & SHS are shouldn't matter when the Jumpers have more on the roster than PC. That excuse is gone. Pc doesn't pick and choose from the males in the school. The kids that play at shs are within 2-3 miles of school.. Not that hard to get players from that close to school. Pulaski has kids spread out 15-20 miles away. That makes it a lot harder to get get those kids. Add in the fact shs has over 100 years of football tradition and pc started playing football in the early 80s, plus its a cross-town rivalry, classification shouldn't matter. To the point of domination, that was in reference to this series.

"Wow" ok let us look at it like this. Take 2 schools, school A and school B.
School A is Somerset and B is Pulaski. Now say school A has 200 students and school B has 400 students. I don't claim to know the amount either of you have but work with me here. Now which of those schools do you think you have the better ods of finding big, strong fast and talented kids at. If you give me a choice I'm going with the 400 every time because my ods are about 99.9% that I will get the most from 400 compared to 200. I think Somerset would need more kids to come out then you to try and even that advantage up a little. They would need more then what they probably have this year to make it even. Also how many of this huge number you say they have is freshman or kids who will never see the field this year?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:This is why theres no gain for a larger school to play a smaller one.

I completely agree with this. I don't see a point in a competitive team playing a much smaller school when you have plenty of schools your size or even bigger to play and see what you have. I can see maybe going one class down but that is about it. Now if your program is struggling and you need some confidence then I have no problem with it.