•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kentucky Coaching Rumors
Interesting that Charlie Strong, Dan Mullen, Smart and Jones all possible candidates at UT. This just per ESPN.
UK has unofficially offered the job to Butch Jones and Butch Jones unofficially turned it down, coming from a source very close to Jones. That's probably why UK is denying the story, which is why I said unofficially.

I've also heard that UK has already asked over 20 candidates and the majority has no interest. That's only a rumor for now.
The names that keep coming up scares me. I just don't believe we can attract a good coach.
toussaints Wrote:UK has unofficially offered the job to Butch Jones and Butch Jones unofficially turned it down, coming from a source very close to Jones. That's probably why UK is denying the story, which is why I said unofficially.

I've also heard that UK has already asked over 20 candidates and the majority has no interest. That's only a rumor for now.

You're full of crap.
unofficially...
of course.
If Kirby Smart gave UK a polite no thanks, then sure why not hire petrino..I was looking at it as Kirby= Long term winner, Petrino= Win now, then when he leaves continue winning by being able to lure a good coach in. It's going to be hard to get a big name/winning coach at UK right now with all the other job openings, plus UK's football record sucks and every coach that has left, has left with a losing record.
insideinfo Wrote:The names that keep coming up scares me. I just don't believe we can attract a good coach.

That why we got to get Petrino.
Its the only chance we have to snag a good coach.
If i'm going to shoot for the moon, its going to be for Brian Kelly, Chip Kelly, Saban, Miles, or from the NFL.....Also i would look at Gundy from Ok state and find him a good D cord. he never has a defense, but man his offense is usually exciting plus he might like coming to the SEC...
zaga_fan Wrote:You're full of crap.
unofficially...
of course.

i was officially full of crap about 30 minutes ago

what most colleges do in these situations are ask coaches if 1. they are interested in the UK job and 2. if not, who they should contact and 3. what the school needs to do to make the job seem more attractive.

For example, one of the first guys UK contacted was Todd Haley in Pittsburgh. They knew he had no interest in coaching in college, but what Haley probably did was give UK a list of coaches he knew that would be interested. So when I say they've asked 20+ people, these would be guys like Haley who UK knows arn't leaving their current jobs.

it's smart because UK can't just throw a coach a bunch of money and expect miracles. once you become a head coach at a program like UK, if you lose early an often, chances are you'll never be a head coach on the same level, no matter how good you were before. UK needs to promise whoever they bring in an immediate facilities upgrade
toussaints Wrote:UK has unofficially offered the job to Butch Jones and Butch Jones unofficially turned it down, coming from a source very close to Jones. That's probably why UK is denying the story, which is why I said unofficially.

As I posted before, this is now my concern. Before you know it they are going to offer Dooley the head coaching job because he will be all that is left...
judgementday Wrote:As I posted before, this is now my concern. Before you know it they are going to offer Dooley the head coaching job because he will be all that is left...

i still think UK can get a really good coach, but they need to understand throwing a guy a bunch of money won't cut it. imo, the most important thing UK can do to attract a good coach is make it public that UK will look into upgrading the football facilities. UK's only selling points right now are SEC and money, and that won't cut it.
What part of the facilities do we need to upgrade?
footballfever Wrote:What part of the facilities do we need to upgrade?

Training facilities.....the Nutter Field house is only half the size of the major SEC schools.
1. get astroturf out of the nutter center or put a bubble up over the fieldturf practice field
2. make it look modern, the whole facility looks great if it's 1995
toussaints Wrote:1. get astroturf out of the nutter center or put a bubble up over the fieldturf practice field
2. make it look modern, the whole facility looks great if it's 1995

I actually don't mind the outdoor practice field. They need an updated weight room, physical therapy area, lounge, etc...
As someone who was in the football facilities as security for CSC security the better question is what doesn't need upgrading. That would be the short list because I would say to be anywhere close to other SEC schools facility wise 90% need tp be upgraded.
Any updates? They don't talk about UK football too much in North Carolina.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:That why we got to get Petrino.
Its the only chance we have to snag a good coach.

I been with you the whole time.The only names thay keep coming up I wouldn't let coach my intramural team.They do not seem to understand that you can't hire a up an comer here. This place eats coaches and spits them out. I just believe that we need someone that has proven he can win and knows how to recruit S E C type players, and this list is real short.
Tedford?

Peterson!!!!!!!!
Lets assume one of the coaches some of you mentioned are hired

You complain about Petrino leaving after a few years.
Well, with the coaches some of you have listed, they will be fired after 3 years for being another Joker.
That's quite an assumption to make.

Brooks wasn't fired and had things going pretty well. Scumbag Petrino is not the only guy that can coach.
^
The fact that we consider Brooks a good coach, and that he done well at UK, is IMO our first mistake and a joke!
What was his best record 7-5?
He should of took that team to a great bowl.
So what if he made 4 or 5 bowls, they were horrible bowl games with no meaning.

Instead of 7-5, I wanna see 10-2 or better.

Brooks did better than other coaches have done at UK, but cmon, he didnt exactly do good.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
The fact that we consider Brooks a good coach, and that he done well at UK, is IMO our first mistake and a joke!
What was his best record 7-5?
He should of took that team to a great bowl.
So what if he made 4 or 5 bowls, they were horrible bowl games with no meaning.

Instead of 7-5, I wanna see 10-2 or better.

Brooks did better than other coaches have done at UK, but cmon, he didnt exactly do good.

He got us ranked in the top ten in the nation, beat the #1 team in the country at home, won games at Georgia, at Arkansas, at Georgia, at home against a top ten UofL team, Florida State and Clemson and did it all with class and dignity. Rich Brooks had a great run at Kentucky.
Duke's David Cutcliffe has signed an extention with Duke so that pretty well takes him out of the running at UK.
Brooks4Prez Wrote:He got us ranked in the top ten in the nation, beat the #1 team in the country at home, won games at Georgia, at Arkansas, at Georgia, at home against a top ten UofL team, Florida State and Clemson and did it all with class and dignity. Rich Brooks had a great run at Kentucky.

Brooks caught a break when Jurich made one of his rare mistakes,and the schedule went from 11 games to 12 games.
SaveUK Wrote:Duke's David Cutcliffe has signed an extention with Duke so that pretty well takes him out of the running at UK.

THANK GOD
It blows my mind that his name was mentioned.
Guys, I have just read this post for the first time, and let's be honest here. Football at UK is not as important as basketball. Until that attitude changes, UK will continue to be an also ran in the SEC. If UK can put money into the Craft center, they have to do the same to the Nutter Center and the weight room and training rooms for football. Someone put it well, it was great for '95 but look at the calendar guys, it's 2012, almost 2013. Kid's today are going to go where they have a shot at the next level, now mind you not all guys do, but they ALLthink they do.

As for some of the coaches that have been named. Peterson has had opportunities to leave and hasn't why would he want to come to UK.

Rich Rod, is not a West Coast guy. He's a West Virginia boy who would probably like to come back east, but after the way he was treated in Michigan the change to Arizona has been good for him. This guy can coach. He defeated USC this year don't forget. Lead WVU to an upset over UGA in the Sugar Bowl as well.

Butch Jones, has won every where he has been as well, and as for the fact he can't coach because he's in the Big East, does anyone remember where Brian Kelly was before he went to ND? Let me remind you, Cincinnati in the Big East. But I don't see a guy like Jones coming to UK either unless there is a major commitment to upgrade facilities.

UK is going to have to hire a coach who can, first recruit, second, win over the fan base and put butts in the seats. Third, win a few games that he shouldn't in the first few years, but not lose games he should not lose either.

In my opinion, if UK was to hire Petrino, I think he would make Towles a first team all SEC QB by the time he's a senior. Look what he did with Ryan Mallet.

Honestly, UK fans I would love to see UK relevant in football and not just basketball, but you have a ways to go, and the baggage goes all the way back to a man named, Bear!
insideinfo Wrote:Brooks caught a break when Jurich made one of his rare mistakes,and the schedule went from 11 games to 12 games.

Yep. Jurich mistake was not hiring Brooks he built Oregon into what it is today and laid a foundation for Kentucky to build on. Unfortunately that foundation crumbled on a couple of missed recruiting classes. And he did both with class.
With the collapse of the big east and Boise having no tie in to the BCS Peterson may finally leave. Ill say it again. Offer him the keys to Ft Knox and at least make him say know.

Jones would be my 2nd choice.

Petrino about 211th.
Mountaineer Man Wrote:Guys, I have just read this post for the first time, and let's be honest here. Football at UK is not as important as basketball. Until that attitude changes, UK will continue to be an also ran in the SEC. If UK can put money into the Craft center, they have to do the same to the Nutter Center and the weight room and training rooms for football. Someone put it well, it was great for '95 but look at the calendar guys, it's 2012, almost 2013. Kid's today are going to go where they have a shot at the next level, now mind you not all guys do, but they ALLthink they do.

As for some of the coaches that have been named. Peterson has had opportunities to leave and hasn't why would he want to come to UK.

Rich Rod, is not a West Coast guy. He's a West Virginia boy who would probably like to come back east, but after the way he was treated in Michigan the change to Arizona has been good for him. This guy can coach. He defeated USC this year don't forget. Lead WVU to an upset over UGA in the Sugar Bowl as well.

Butch Jones, has won every where he has been as well, and as for the fact he can't coach because he's in the Big East, does anyone remember where Brian Kelly was before he went to ND? Let me remind you, Cincinnati in the Big East. But I don't see a guy like Jones coming to UK either unless there is a major commitment to upgrade facilities.

UK is going to have to hire a coach who can, first recruit, second, win over the fan base and put butts in the seats. Third, win a few games that he shouldn't in the first few years, but not lose games he should not lose either.

In my opinion, if UK was to hire Petrino, I think he would make Towles a first team all SEC QB by the time he's a senior. Look what he did with Ryan Mallet.

Honestly, UK fans I would love to see UK relevant in football and not just basketball, but you have a ways to go, and the baggage goes all the way back to a man named, Bear!

You could not have said it better :Clap:
[Image:

]
Some of you won't like this but I would talk to Tedford. He's a good coach and had a lot of success in a BCS conference.
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next