Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands Crystal Ball
After last friday night's near loss (many consider it a loss) to Covington Catholic, I'm left with a few thoughts.
1. Highlands not going both ways doesn't seem to matter. They seemed more gassed than the Cov Cath players. Gee, I wonder if it's because they only play half the game?
2. Their running game?
3. Highlands vs. New Cath? great game now
4. J.C. gassing out in the 2nd after JJ Jude runs for nearly 600? I doubt it
5. Could we see a Cov. Cath rematch? I don't think Highlands wants to play them again.
6. Could Cov Cath or Dixie beat Johnson Central? No way. They do not have the ability to stop the rush like Highlands does.
7. What if Highlands does play Cov. Cath and it's a rematch of friday night? can you say standing room only
8. Was Cov. Cath holding their cards?
9. How difficult it is to win every game every year.....
10. and most importantly, the Birds Mental Toughness? fight or flight.......
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:After last friday night's near loss (many consider it a loss) to Covington Catholic, I'm left with a few thoughts.
1. Highlands not going both ways doesn't seem to matter. They seemed more gassed than the Cov Cath players. Gee, I wonder if it's because they only play half the game?
2. Their running game?
3. Highlands vs. New Cath? great game now
4. J.C. gassing out in the 2nd after JJ Jude runs for nearly 600? I doubt it
5. Could we see a Cov. Cath rematch? I don't think Highlands wants to play them again.
6. Could Cov Cath or Dixie beat Johnson Central? No way. They do not have the ability to stop the rush like Highlands does.
7. What if Highlands does play Cov. Cath and it's a rematch of friday night? can you say standing room only
8. Was Cov. Cath holding their cards?
9. How difficult it is to win every game every year.....
10. and most importantly, the Birds Mental Toughness? fight or flight.......

First of all I think this is a silly post, but I will play along.
Near Loss? Up 20-0 with CC making a second half run but never closer than 7 pts(even a TD on hail Mary would have only tied the game).
#2 Running game is fine
#3 HHS beats NCC fairly easily
#5 I think everyone would love to see a rematch between HHS and CC
#6 JC could be beat by CC or Dixie (last year showed it is possible)
#7 yes, SRO
#8 No
#9 Very hard
#10 Never have to worry about HHS mental toughness; they always think they can beat anybody (whether justified or not), This is one advatage over alot of teams I think they have going into games
sstack Wrote:First of all I think this is a silly post, but I will play along.
Near Loss? Up 20-0 with CC making a second half run but never closer than 7 pts(even a TD on hail Mary would have only tied the game).
#2 Running game is fine
#3 HHS beats NCC fairly easily
#5 I think everyone would love to see a rematch between HHS and CC
#6 JC could be beat by CC or Dixie (last year showed it is possible)
#7 yes, SRO
#8 No
#9 Very hard
#10 Never have to worry about HHS mental toughness; they always think they can beat anybody (whether justified or not), This is one advatage over alot of teams I think they have going into games

Silliness? Highlands running game is anything but fine w/o going into details. What's last year have to do with JC? And lastly, #10 I beg to differ. When CCH came to within 7 in the 4th, the Bird offense froze like a Butterball Turkey. 3 and out....Every kid on that team was puckered up after CCH threatened to tie. :argue:
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Silliness? Highlands running game is anything but fine w/o going into details. What's last year have to do with JC? And lastly, #10 I beg to differ. When CCH came to within 7 in the 4th, the Bird offense froze like a Butterball Turkey. 3 and out....Every kid on that team was puckered up after CCH threatened to tie. :argue:

I mentioned last year because Dixie looked very bad and no one thought they had a chance agianst JC at their place. Well, Dixie gave them all they wanted. I think Dixie is much better this year. I am not saying they will beat JC, but I think they will make it a game win or lose(if the 2 teams meet up).
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Silliness? Highlands running game is anything but fine w/o going into details. What's last year have to do with JC? And lastly, #10 I beg to differ. When CCH came to within 7 in the 4th, the Bird offense froze like a Butterball Turkey. 3 and out....Every kid on that team was puckered up after CCH threatened to tie. :argue:

I also do not think Highlands O froze, as much as poor play calling.
sstack Wrote:I also do not think Highlands O froze, as much as poor play calling.

:Thumbs: Totally agree!
sstack Wrote:I mentioned last year because Dixie looked very bad and no one thought they had a chance agianst JC at their place. Well, Dixie gave them all they wanted. I think Dixie is much better this year. I am not saying they will beat JC, but I think they will make it a game win or lose(if the 2 teams meet up).
Dixie never played JC last season. Dixie crushed Ashland on the road and then got crushed by Highlands. JC jumped on Scott at home early and then the subs gave up some points in the 2nd half. That prompted some NKY fans to get excited about JC's weak defense and predict that Covington Catholic would easily handle the Golden Eagles. Against CovCath, JC again bolted out to a comfortable lead and then coasted, prompting the same NKY fans to predict that Highlands would just need to show up to beat the Golden Eagles in the regional title game.

None of this means that neither Dixie or Covington Catholic will have a chance this year if they meet but the Scott and CovCath games against JC last season were not as close as the scores indicate (62-41 and 51-32).
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Dixie never played JC last season. Dixie crushed Ashland on the road and then got crushed by Highlands. JC jumped on Scott at home early and then the subs gave up some points in the 2nd half. That prompted some NKY fans to get excited about JC's weak defense and predict that Covington Catholic would easily handle the Golden Eagles. Against CovCath, JC again bolted out to a comfortable lead and then coasted, prompting the same NKY fans to predict that Highlands would just need to show up to beat the Golden Eagles in the regional title game.

None of this means that neither Dixie or Covington Catholic will have a chance this year if they meet but the Scott and CovCath games against JC last season were not as close as the scores indicate (62-41 and 51-32).

:Thumbs:
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Dixie never played JC last season. Dixie crushed Ashland on the road and then got crushed by Highlands. JC jumped on Scott at home early and then the subs gave up some points in the 2nd half. That prompted some NKY fans to get excited about JC's weak defense and predict that Covington Catholic would easily handle the Golden Eagles. Against CovCath, JC again bolted out to a comfortable lead and then coasted, prompting the same NKY fans to predict that Highlands would just need to show up to beat the Golden Eagles in the regional title game.

Must be two years ago that I'm thinking about.Oh well, never mind.
sstack Wrote:Must be two years ago that I'm thinking about.Oh well, never mind.

Two years ago, JC played Holmes in the first round and CCH in the 2nd round of the playoffs and the scores to which were 54-13, and 49-14 respectively.