Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why can't basketball be like football?
NO! Sweet Sixteen is awesome.
17,000 to 20,000 is a good crowd for a Sweet 16 finals. I have been to several football finals with less than 6,000 people. That could be the reason.
No No No No No
well in football breaking it down into classes because bigger schools get more money and it gives them better opportunities like bigger state of the art lifting facilities a practice as well as a game field.....and bigger schools have more athletes to chose from and this makes a difference in football because the games are longer and everyone dosen't have to go iron man like in smaller schools.....but in basketball only 5 people play at a time and usually there is little subing so i can't see where it would make a difference in basketball because it is not as complex as football.....thus you have 3 or 4 basketball games a week compared to one game a week in football because it takes more preperation, and takes a bigger toll on the athletes.
Basketball teams aren't as affected by the #'s as football... "All A" really works in Kentucky and I think it adds to the excitement every year by knowing that you will only be crowning ONE state champ
transplanttiger Wrote:Classes in KY HS Hoops!!! Perish the thought!!!! That is anti Kentuckian!

True the bigger schools will win most of the time at the sweet 16--but when a smaller school does win (which has, does, and will happen again) it is a sight to behold! There's nothing like having your little hometown team go to the big show to galvinize your town.

I am a HUGE UK fan. I watched them win it all in 96--what a sight---but I also saw the Tigers win it all in KY HS hoops in 96---that was even better!

I can't imagine KY HS hoops in classes---for me it would lose a lot of the luster. Bring on those big schools--I love it!
look at bardstown, we made it to the sweet sixteen for the first time since 77 last year. we did get blown out by covington holmes in the first round Rolleyes... but thts besides the point. for all you people saying small schools dont really have a chance of making it to the sweet sixteen, bardstown is your example of a small school making it there.

P.S--> Bardstown is better this year, and you should look out for our team. last year we didnt really know what to expect in our first game and were alittle nervous and unprepared. if we make it back this year, we should be ready. so if you want to root for a small town team, pick us.
BardstownTigers Wrote:look at bardstown, we made it to the sweet sixteen for the first time since 77 last year. we did get blown out by covington holmes in the first round Rolleyes... but thts besides the point. for all you people saying small schools dont really have a chance of making it to the sweet sixteen, bardstown is your example of a small school making it there.

P.S--> Bardstown is better this year, and you should look out for our team. last year we didnt really know what to expect in our first game and were alittle nervous and unprepared. if we make it back this year, we should be ready. so if you want to root for a small town team, pick us.

Good luck this yr. to Bardstown----heh at last you all have a good mascot! LOL! But seriously I love rooting for those small schools---big schools remind me of the Borg on Star Trek that wants to assimilate everyone!
transplanttiger Wrote:Good luck this yr. to Bardstown----heh at last you all have a good mascot! LOL! But seriously I love rooting for those small schools---big schools remind me of the Borg on Star Trek that wants to assimilate everyone!
i kno lol. our pep section i swear is one of the best around, we have routines and everything. we even practice!! but i hope we dont let you down this season Rolleyes
Oh, and I need to correct my last post, I said it was 77 when we last went to the sweet sixteen, it was actually 71. haha
kybaseball Wrote:What schools are eligible for the single A tournament?
Single A schools.Wink
Jshort5 Wrote:Single A schools.Wink

Kentucky does not have classes in basketball. There are several schools that qualify for the All A Tournament that are AA in football. Below is a link to the list of all the schools that qualify for the All A.

http://www.allaclassic.org/General%20Inf...chools.pdf

Several of the teams that qualify for the All A won their respective regions and participated in the Sweet 16. At least 3 All A qualifying teams, (Hazard, Paintsville, and Elliott County) had great showings in the Sweet 16. Bardstown beat some very large schools to get to the Sweet 16. In my opinion, this is a great argument for keeping the Sweet 16 as is. The only change I would make is to seed the Sweet 16.
rojas Wrote:Kentucky does not have classes in basketball. There are several schools that qualify for the All A Tournament that are AA in football. Below is a link to the list of all the schools that qualify for the All A.

Several of the teams that qualify for the All A won their respective regions and participated in the Sweet 16. At least 3 All A qualifying teams, (Hazard, Paintsville, and Elliott County) had great showings in the Sweet 16. Bardstown beat some very large schools to get to the Sweet 16. In my opinion, this is a great argument for keeping the Sweet 16 as is. The only change I would make is to seed the Sweet 16.

Good post.

As you said, there are several schools on the All-A Classic list that compete in 2A
football. In the 15th region, I see Shelby Valley and Prestonsburg, as well as their football district brother Bath County in the 16th.

What I found unusual is that Sheldon Clark, who competes in 3A in football, is on the list! Very odd considering that a local 2A football school, Knott Central, is not listed as a qualifying team.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Good post.

As you said, there are several schools on the All-A Classic list that compete in 2A
football. In the 15th region, I see Shelby Valley and Prestonsburg, as well as their football district brother Bath County in the 16th.

What I found unusual is that Sheldon Clark, who competes in 3A in football, is on the list! Very odd considering that a local 2A football school, Knott Central, is not listed as a qualifying team.

Leslie Co is an 1A school in basketball now. Last year was there first year in the ALL-A Classic. Leslie Co girls won the ALL-A Reg. They got kill at EKU. I don't understand that.
rojas Wrote:Kentucky does not have classes in basketball. There are several schools that qualify for the All A Tournament that are AA in football. Below is a link to the list of all the schools that qualify for the All A.

How can you seed the Sweet 16. The paper don't fav. the school in South Eastern Kentucky.
Kentucky is the only state that everone have a shoot at the Sweet 16. Think back a few years. Lafayette beat #2 Lex. Cath.to get to the Sweet 16. And beat #1 Male in the state to win the state title. Right there is to big up-set.
cj2561 Wrote:How can you seed the Sweet 16. The paper don't fav. the school in South Eastern Kentucky.
Kentucky is the only state that everone have a shoot at the Sweet 16. Think back a few years. Lafayette beat #2 Lex. Cath.to get to the Sweet 16. And beat #1 Male in the state to win the state title. Right there is to big up-set.

That Lafayette team was one of my favorite Sweet 16 teams. I really enjoyed that Sweet 16 (I think it was 2001). Lafayette had a senior transfer that came over from Scott Co that really helped them down the stretch.

As far as seeding, I don't think it will be but the Sweet 16 could be seeded. If the 65 team NCAA tournament can be seeded I know the Sweet 16 could be.

As far as the CJ and LHL ratings, both of these are computer ratings. The computer has no idea where a school is located. If you watch by the end of the year they are fairly accurate.
So you like the BCS better than March Madness?
rojas Wrote:That Lafayette team was one of my favorite Sweet 16 teams. I really enjoyed that Sweet 16 (I think it was 2001). Lafayette had a senior transfer that came over from Scott Co that really helped them down the stretch.

As far as seeding, I don't think it will be but the Sweet 16 could be seeded. If the 65 team NCAA tournament can be seeded I know the Sweet 16 could be.

As far as the CJ and LHL ratings, both of these are computer ratings. The computer has no idea where a school is located. If you watch by the end of the year they are fairly accurate.

I like it the way it is right now. They put in numbers 1-16 in a hat, And draw them out. To get the Sweet 16.
RavenBoy Wrote:So you like the BCS better than March Madness?

No way. I like March Madness best. The NCAA tournament is great. Of course it is seeded from top to bottom.
I am totally against classes in basketball. Obviously if size mattered that much then St. X and Trinity should win every year in basketball as well as football.

Just look at Paintsville last year. They were underdogs an knocked out J-town. Then they took Holmes to the final minutes and IMO still should have won it. They were just a couple of bench players and a few inches short on the post players from winning it all and still it was always a possibility. You have to believe and that is what March Madness is all about. The Sweet Sixteen must stay!!!
There could still be a Sweet 16 with classes,It would just be set up a little different.
kybaseball Wrote:There could still be a Sweet 16 with classes,It would just be set up a little different.

And about 1/3 of the fans would show up to watch the games. Look at what happened to Indiana's state tournament when they went to classes. Or you can go south to Tennessee and watch their state tournament. There is absolutly no comparison between ours and theirs.
Does anybody know where one could get a copy of last years championship game?
cj2561 Wrote:Leslie Co is an 1A school in basketball now. Last year was there first year in the ALL-A Classic. Leslie Co girls won the ALL-A Reg. They got kill at EKU. I don't understand that.

What don't you understand? :confused:

I was pointing out that a 3A football school (Sheldon Clark) was eligible for the All-A, while a local 2A school (Knott) was not. Just found it odd.

Leslie is 2A in football but still eligible for the All-A in basketball, which is not that unusual. I'm not sure where the confusion is.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Are there any ideas on how to level the playing field a little for smaller schools?