Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Floyd Central 43 Prestonsburg 28
Here we are, at the bottom of the Floyd County football chain! It looks as if the team has laid down and quit on Brewer. Brewer is a good guy, but a good guy doesn't make a good football coach! They were outcoached and outclassed by Floyd Central. Turnovers did hurt, but ball security seems to be a reoccurring trait with Brewer ball. Also, I'm tired of hearing about a rebuilding year, heck we have been rebuilding for the past six years. We can't keep using the mass exodus of players back when Coach D. was here as an excuse for the shortcomings of the here and now. Brewer has had six years to build his product, and my question to all of Prestonsburg would be, are you satisfied with the product?
Now for my evaluation of the current Blackcat program; When you arrive to a nearly empty cupboard you better fill it. A new coach in that situation should go and speak to the kids at the feeder school. Take them old jerseys and other merchandise and give them free admission to games. Attend their practices whenever possible. Talk to parents and community members. This didn’t happen. Low numbers are the result and they will continue to fall .
Meet regularly with the volunteer coaches at the feeder schools. Acknowledge their contribution, give them free tickets, coach shirts, and included the in your high school program. This didn’t happen and some volunteers were turned away when wanting to observe high school practice.
Off season conditioning is not a suggestion, it is a requirement at a winning program.There is no organized off season conditioning program at Prestonsburg.
The offense is slow developing and doesn’t suit AA football. If you look at any successful small school, they will be running a numbers based offense. They try to set up 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 scenarios at the line of scrimmage and hit quickly .
Poor community outreach. Giving him his due, John Derossett was a master at this, Brewer should have followed his example with the coaches and players volunteering in the community, especially with younger kids who may later become players or fans.
Are things to far gone to be redeemed? I don’t think so, but it will take time but there is little time left.
[-] The following 2 users Like hawg laig's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, Westside
(10-20-2023, 04:35 PM)hawg laig Wrote: Now for my evaluation of the current Blackcat program; When you arrive to a nearly empty cupboard you better fill it. A new coach in that situation should go and speak to the kids at the feeder school. Take them old jerseys and other merchandise and give them free admission to games. Attend their practices whenever possible. Talk to parents and community members. This didn’t happen. Low numbers are the result and they will continue to fall .
Meet regularly with the volunteer coaches at the feeder schools. Acknowledge their contribution, give them free tickets, coach shirts, and included the in your high school program. This didn’t happen and some volunteers were turned away when wanting to observe high school practice.
Off season conditioning is not a suggestion, it is a requirement at a winning program.There is no organized off season conditioning program at Prestonsburg.
The offense is slow developing and doesn’t suit AA football. If you look at any successful small school, they will be running a numbers based offense. They try to set up 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 scenarios at the line of scrimmage and hit quickly .
Poor community outreach. Giving him his due, John Derossett was a master at this, Brewer should have followed his example with the coaches and players volunteering in the community, especially with younger kids who may later become players or fans.
Are things to far gone to be redeemed? I don’t think so, but it will take time but there is little time left.

Why is there no strength and conditioning program?
(10-20-2023, 07:46 PM)Westside Wrote:
(10-20-2023, 04:35 PM)hawg laig Wrote: Now for my evaluation of the current Blackcat program; When you arrive to a nearly empty cupboard you better fill it. A new coach in that situation should go and speak to the kids at the feeder school. Take them old jerseys and other merchandise and give them free admission to games. Attend their practices whenever possible. Talk to parents and community members. This didn’t happen. Low numbers are the result and they will continue to fall .

Why is there no strength and conditioning program?
I thought they had something because I know they were doing yoga for a while.