Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To be a Coach
You have to be affiliated with the school right now to get a head coaching job. I personally hate this this rule because often times the best person for the job never even gets a shot just because he/she isnt a teacher and its not fair for them or the kids...
da_expert Wrote:You have to be affiliated with the school right now to get a head coaching job. I personally hate this this rule because often times the best person for the job never even gets a shot just because he/she isnt a teacher and its not fair for them or the kids...

If you want to coach, become a teacher. Often times the person/people that think someone is the best person to be the coach just knows this person and he/she is living on their glory days. Good players do not always make good coaches. You must know Xs & Os, be able to relate to kids, and teach them the game to be a good middle school or high school coach. Well known players are often one-dimensional and never realize the entire scope of the team making it possible for them to gain the lime light.

For example, you can't talk about how good a quarterback is without recognizing his offensive line, running backs, &/or receivers.
I personally think that if someone wants to coach they should be a teacher, or in the school system in some capacity, I dont believe that just because you played, and your child is a good player you should be allowed to set on the bench and help coach.....Parents on the bench is not a good practice....it tends to cause more problems than its worth !!!! I also, dont think just because you played and are a teacher that makes you the best one for the job ...... to be a good coach you have to know (as stated by another poster) x,s and o,s , you have to know how to relate to each individual player, because every player is different, what motivates one kid will not always , motivate another , and you have to know how to talk to the parents..... the good ones..... and the ones that think little johnny is the best one on the team, and you have to have discipline, so coaching is more than just having played the game or having kids that play.....and in most cases its a job where if your winning you ARE the man, and if your not winning you USED to be the man !!!!!!
lil dog Wrote:I personally think that if someone wants to coach they should be a teacher, or in the school system in some capacity, I dont believe that just because you played, and your child is a good player you should be allowed to set on the bench and help coach.....Parents on the bench is not a good practice....it tends to cause more problems than its worth !!!! I also, dont think just because you played and are a teacher that makes you the best one for the job ...... to be a good coach you have to know (as stated by another poster) x,s and o,s , you have to know how to relate to each individual player, because every player is different, what motivates one kid will not always , motivate another , and you have to know how to talk to the parents..... the good ones..... and the ones that think little johnny is the best one on the team, and you have to have discipline, so coaching is more than just having played the game or having kids that play.....and in most cases its a job where if your winning you ARE the man, and if your not winning you USED to be the man !!!!!!

Fantastic post!
lil dog Wrote:I personally think that if someone wants to coach they should be a teacher, or in the school system in some capacity, I dont believe that just because you played, and your child is a good player you should be allowed to set on the bench and help coach.....Parents on the bench is not a good practice....it tends to cause more problems than its worth !!!! I also, dont think just because you played and are a teacher that makes you the best one for the job ...... to be a good coach you have to know (as stated by another poster) x,s and o,s , you have to know how to relate to each individual player, because every player is different, what motivates one kid will not always , motivate another , and you have to know how to talk to the parents..... the good ones..... and the ones that think little johnny is the best one on the team, and you have to have discipline, so coaching is more than just having played the game or having kids that play.....and in most cases its a job where if your winning you ARE the man, and if your not winning you USED to be the man !!!!!!

Nice post Lil Dog
UM its all about politics. Even well deserving teachers dont get the jobs. Anyone should be able to apply and hopefully for the right reasons not just to give their own kid a bulk of playing time. All too often the wrong person gets the job becuase they are a teacher with big county connections. If everyone had equal oppurtunity this would be less likely to happen. I can think of a few places that need to give their coach the boot and i can name several candidates to fill the spots that had great middle school teams but cant get a high school job
da_expert Wrote:UM its all about politics. Even well deserving teachers dont get the jobs. Anyone should be able to apply and hopefully for the right reasons not just to give their own kid a bulk of playing time. All too often the wrong person gets the job becuase they are a teacher with big county connections. If everyone had equal oppurtunity this would be less likely to happen. I can think of a few places that need to give their coach the boot and i can name several candidates to fill the spots that had great middle school teams but cant get a high school job

I understand what you are saying....... but I think that if you are a coach you should be employed with the school system as a teacher or in some other capacity...... its great to have great grade school teams, but high school is way more advanced than grade school, I can coach pee wee ball, but that doesnt mean I can coach at the high school level..... and not many schools are gonna give a guy/ girl that coaches grade school a head coaching job and I cant say as I blame them !!!!!!
I agree with you ..I personally don't think that any parent should sit on the bench or scorer's table...leads to too much controversy