Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Louisville Ranked #1
Heard this on ESPN yesterday, that this is only the second time that they have been the top ranked team in basketball. I found this hard to believe with all the good teams they had back in the 80's. Can any of the Louisville die hard fans tell is this really true or has ESPN made and error in this statement. My understanding that this a ranking during the regular season not end of season results.
^ i heard that too and couldn't believe it, then a die hard UL bball fan dropped some knowledge

the only other time Louisville was #1 was the 2008-09 season

Denny Crum had some very good teams, but never had a top ranked team. The highest he got was 2nd in 1979-80 and 1982-83. At the time (70s, 80s), it was really hard for the AP to not have Kentucky, Indiana, North Carolina, UCLA, or Georgetown ranked #1
^
Good research.

Lville has always been second rate in the state, as well as the rankings Confusednicker:
Thanks for the info toussaints. Guess I always thought that Crum had been ranked 1 either when he had Griffith,McCray brothers, or when he had Ellison, and Wagner but I guess I was wrong. Cause those were 2 very good teams he had in the 80's.
toussaints Wrote:^ i heard that too and couldn't believe it, then a die hard UL bball fan dropped some knowledge

the only other time Louisville was #1 was the 2008-09 season

Denny Crum had some very good teams, but never had a top ranked team. The highest he got was 2nd in 1979-80 and 1982-83. At the time (70s, 80s), it was really hard for the AP to not have Kentucky, Indiana, North Carolina, UCLA, or Georgetown ranked #1

The pollsters REALLY fell down on the job in 1980. They were clearly the best team in the nation, and were no suprise in winning the title.
panther nation Wrote:Thanks for the info toussaints. Guess I always thought that Crum had been ranked 1 either when he had Griffith,McCray brothers, or when he had Ellison, and Wagner but I guess I was wrong. Cause those were 2 very good teams he had in the 80's.

Should have won in 83 when they were a little better than Houston, but
had a little let down in teh FF. Certainly can't see Denny having let
Valvano dictate the game the way Lewis did in letting a vastly inferior team hang around and have a chance at the end.