Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawrence Co. 7 - Morgan Co. 1 (Paintsville Tiger Classic)
Big Dawg Wrote:I'd have to say not many if any at all.

I wonder how many people actually know the difference between an off speed pitch versus a change of speed pitch versus a true fast ball and how many TRUE fast balls are actually thrown in a game?

A good pitcher knows the difference and knows how and when to throw each one so not every batter gets the fast ball and not every reading on a gun is the fast ball.
Very true. Greg Maddox said that he could hit 90+ anytime he wanted, but that changing speeds on your fastball between 83-88 was much more effective. Which is what will help him get into the Hall!
Big Dawg Wrote:or oil and water???? lol

Hey now, we got a history going here.Smile
Big Dawg Wrote:I'd have to say not many if any at all.

I wonder how many people actually know the difference between an off speed pitch versus a change of speed pitch versus a true fast ball and how many TRUE fast balls are actually thrown in a game?

A good pitcher knows the difference and knows how and when to throw each one so not every batter gets the fast ball and not every reading on a gun is the fast ball.

oooooh,ooooh,oooh. Call me , call me.
The Guru Wrote:Very true. Greg Maddox said that he could hit 90+ anytime he wanted, but that changing speeds on your fastball between 83-88 was much more effective. Which is what will help him get into the Hall!

What he meant was that when he backed off somewhat , it gave him more movement. That's what made it more effective, not the reduced velocity on it's own.
The kid is a great pitcher, especially for this area! You can't take that from him despite any negative comments. But I'm sure he wasn't throwing his hardest ball everytime and his is only a freshman. I know I'd take him for my team ........