Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawrence tops sloppy Lions (LC 4 - BC 3)
By GRANT TRAYLOR - The Independent
CANNONSBURG — Morgan Roberts knew his tank was starting to run dry.

Lawrence County’s top pitcher withstood several innings with high pitch counts and erratic control early, but managed to retire the side in the seventh inning in just seven pitches to earn a 4-3 win over Boyd County on Tuesday.

“When I started that inning, I had to get the low pitch count,” Roberts said. “Since I was a freshman, I’ve always watched big pitchers like Steve Blevins in the big games. I always wanted Boyd County and I’m glad to beat them.”

Roberts not only pitched well in tight situations, but he also made several defensive stops to keep his team in the game. The Lions hit several balls in between the mound and the corners, but each time, Roberts was able to get to the ball and make the play.

“He did a great job and he got stronger as the innings went on,” Lawrence County coach Randy Keeton said. “Defensively, he did all he could to keep us in the game and we came out ahead.”

While Lawrence County’s defense played superb with just one miscue in the field, Boyd County committed six errors that led to all four runs for Lawrence County.

“We didn’t play well at all,” Boyd County coach Ben Maynard said. “You aren’t going to beat any team committing six errors, that’s the bottom line. We shot ourselves in the foot. Give Roberts credit because his athleticism took away parts of our game.”

The big blow came in the top of the sixth inning after Boyd County had taken a 3-2 lead. An error by Greg Bowling allowed Jeff Cyrus to reach base and Cyrus promptly came around to tie the game at 3 when Tim Hayes hit a double to deep center. Hayes was thrown out trying to stretch the play into a triple.

In the next at-bat, Bowling bobbled a ball at shortstop and then overthrew first base trying to get the out, allowing Roberts to move to second. Roberts scored the game-winning run on Jordan Miller’s single three pitches later.

While Keeton was happy to get the win for his team — its fifth in a row — he sympathized with Maynard, who watched his team breakdown on several occasions.

“We’ve had three or four games like that this year where we have booted the ball around and given the game away,” Keeton said. “Boyd County is a good team and you know they don’t do that often. I’m sure it will be a different team we see in three weeks.”

The six errors by the Lions offset 12 strikeouts that Boyd County pitchers had. Lawrence County put the ball in play 15 times with only five outs coming from the opportunities.

“We weren’t able to take advantage of any of their mistakes and they took full advantage of ours,” Maynard said. “It all just adds up to a loss.”

Blanton, Branham and Justin Moore each finished 2-for-3 for Boyd County (8-5). Tyler Perkins started for the Lions and pitched three no-hit innings, striking out six before giving way to the bullpen. Perkins had been running a fever earlier in the day and was limited to 40 or 50 pitches, Maynard said.

Boyd County will look to get back on track Thursday when the team travels to Ashland.

LAWRENCE COUNTY 000 022 0 -- 4 4 1

BOYD COUNTY 100 020 0 -- 3 8 6

Roberts and Hayes. Perkins, Bowling (4), Vinters (6) and Blanton. WP – Roberts. LP – Vinters. 2B – Hayes (LC), Michael (LC); Sturgill (BC), Branham (BC).

GRANT TRAYLOR can be reached at [email]gtraylor@dailyindependent.com[/email] or (606) 326-2646.

http://www.dailyindependent.com/localspo...d=topstory
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
Great win for the Dawgs! Roberts is an outstanding player/pitcher. This team is still very young and will be big time competition for years to come.
Nice win for the Dawgs!!! They'll travel to Wayne tonight...
Ashland Daily not real quick to just write Bulldogs whip up on Lions.Lawrence County is led again by the area,s best player Morgan roberts.