Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring Football!!!
Well its finally that time!! Hazard's spring practice begins monday---I cant wait....anybody else's spring practice starting soon? Who are sum young guys teams are looking at to do big things next season? Well its time to go rock some heads and earn some spots on the field, who's ready???
Estill Started Monday And Have Been Practicing All Week
I'm pretty sure we at KCC are starting Monday as well...but i dont know cuz we got spring break next week.
Ashland will be starting this upcoming Monday.
Welcome to BlueGrassRivals

If you ever have any questions, problems, or comments, contact me at [email=tomcat6868@gmail.com]tomcat6868@gmail.com[/email] or via PM by clicking here [Image: http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/finalnewbanner3.png]
Tomcat68 Wrote:Ashland will be starting this upcoming Monday.

well im not to sure when it starts but im feeling pretty confidant up at east ridge!
p_casey#21 Wrote:well im not to sure when it starts but im feeling pretty confidant up at east ridge!

We started yesterday, and took today off.
prestonsburg has been at it all week
Johnson Central started last week. Lookin good for the Eagles.
SC's spring football just ended yesterday. We couldnt scrimmage or anything since we didnt have pads. It usually lasts longer than 2 weeks though.
Leslie Co. came in yesterday and met and gave out equipment. Had 40 out yesterday, thats without the baseball players. Todays the first field time of the spring. 18 seniors to be at spring ball. Look out for Leslie Co.
powell started i believe yesterday
Personally I think Spring football is much over rated especially in the smaller schools. It pulls kids in different directions and in some cases they give up baseball for football. Football coaches are pretty good at apply pressure to kids if they don't get to Spring practice. At the school I support several boys are practicing baseball until about 6 and then running over to the football field. I think its ridiculous and in June when there will be Football Conditioning, a couple weeks of basketball and some summer baseball being played each coach will be pressuring the kids to be at their practices. Spring and summer are for baseball, fall is for football and winter is for basketball. Lets try to get back to it!!! They are kids for gods sake. Its not college or professional.
i like baseball
I play baseball and have not got to go to ne football practice this spring. Unless we cancel practice, i wont get to go to ne football practice. I like the idea of spring practice for players who dont play other sports, but they shouldnt give them up to just make a coach happy. Summer is when you get into real shape for football, sweating for 2 or 3 hours in those stinky sweaty pads.
We started spring practice today, I think it went pretty good for the first night
Honestly I think Spring Football is a joke at the High School level and that most football coaches, several of whom I consider to be very good friends, have a blockheaded mentally when it comes to their sport..
I like the idea of spring practice for players who dont play other sports, but they shouldnt give them up to just make a coach happy. Summer is when you get into real shape for football, sweating for 2 or 3 hours in those stinky sweaty pads. footballdaddy 10

Spring football is not about getting kids into football shape. No conditioing should be done at all. Spring football is a time to "legally" work on plays and technique. Many schools walk through plays and things year round (which is illegal). Full contact is not necessary to accomplish a lot of things in spring ball. Most schools use just shoulder pads and helmets for the majority of spring practice and full pads for a couple of days before their scrimmage (if they have one).
I agree that no one should be forced to do spring football. In fact, the Khsaa says that it is illegal to force someone to attend or punish them if they don't. Does that mean that some coaches don't abuse their power and guilt trip players into attending? No. Many coaches feel the need to require their kids be there. However, I do feel that if it is done correctly it will not hurt all players to be there. Like I said, there should be no conditioning so if they run track or play baseball, it will not wear them out. Minimal contact should help control/limit the fear of injuries.
That is just my opinion, take it for what you want.:mad:
thecoacher Wrote:I like the idea of spring practice for players who dont play other sports, but they shouldnt give them up to just make a coach happy. Summer is when you get into real shape for football, sweating for 2 or 3 hours in those stinky sweaty pads. footballdaddy 10

Spring football is not about getting kids into football shape. No conditioing should be done at all. Spring football is a time to "legally" work on plays and technique. Many schools walk through plays and things year round (which is illegal). Full contact is not necessary to accomplish a lot of things in spring ball. Most schools use just shoulder pads and helmets for the majority of spring practice and full pads for a couple of days before their scrimmage (if they have one).
I agree that no one should be forced to do spring football. In fact, the Khsaa says that it is illegal to force someone to attend or punish them if they don't. Does that mean that some coaches don't abuse their power and guilt trip players into attending? No. Many coaches feel the need to require their kids be there. However, I do feel that if it is done correctly it will not hurt all players to be there. Like I said, there should be no conditioning so if they run track or play baseball, it will not wear them out. Minimal contact should help control/limit the fear of injuries.
That is just my opinion, take it for what you want.:mad:

If things are done the way you suggest then I would agree with you wholeheartly but in small schools where kids play 2 and 3 sports there are conflicts and I wish I could say coaches understand these issues and they say they do but what they say and what they think oftens times is completely different.
I dont know what everyone is going crazy about. Spring practice is not about conditioning or hardcore practice....springball is about getting the boys who just came out on the field and in pads. Spring is about teaching the fundamentals of football-routes, plays, pass & run blocking, defensive alignments, basic blitzes...etc. The stuff you dont want to have to cover during camp and in the fall during the season you kno? I dont know about everywhere else but here we're only going out for like 45 minutes to an hour 2-3 days a week for 3 weeks. There is no pressure on baseball players, none of them are coming to spring practice......spring and summer are about baseball yes, but 45 minutes of football for 10 days isn't much to ask for, especially when the baseball players dont even have to come. Well good luck to all in prac., be looking out for the dawgs' next season... o yea...lol
A Decent Lineman Wrote:I dont know what everyone is going crazy about. Spring practice is not about conditioning or hardcore practice....springball is about getting the boys who just came out on the field and in pads. Spring is about teaching the fundamentals of football-routes, plays, pass & run blocking, defensive alignments, basic blitzes...etc. The stuff you dont want to have to cover during camp and in the fall during the season you kno? I dont know about everywhere else but here we're only going out for like 45 minutes to an hour 2-3 days a week for 3 weeks. There is no pressure on baseball players, none of them are coming to spring practice......spring and summer are about baseball yes, but 45 minutes of football for 10 days isn't much to ask for, especially when the baseball players dont even have to come. Well good luck to all in prac., be looking out for the dawgs' next season... o yea...lol

I agree:thumpsup:
Ithink spring football is way overrated
At Betsy Layne, we are just using it as an extension of our weight-lifting program. We have some great numbers out right now, including some excellent eighth grade players and they could not participate in spring practice. We are doing some strong man competitions and gettig a great deal of work done. I'd rather be stronger in the Fall than to get a few hits in during the spring. But that's just me.
Spring football is extremely important for a football team especially if you are a new coach and you want to put in your system before the season. Basketball has the summer to do this and baseball has the winter, and now football has the spring. No it isn't for conditioning purposes and most schools don't push their baseball players to participate. When I played, however, I went to both practices and loved it. It should be up to the player IMO if they want to do both. If you think spring football is a joke than your school is either a.) not doing it right and has a joke for a coaching staff or b.) you just don't like football.
HazzBeen Wrote:Spring football is extremely important for a football team especially if you are a new coach and you want to put in your system before the season. Basketball has the summer to do this and baseball has the winter, and now football has the spring. No it isn't for conditioning purposes and most schools don't push their baseball players to participate. When I played, however, I went to both practices and loved it. It should be up to the player IMO if they want to do both. If you think spring football is a joke than your school is either a.) not doing it right and has a joke for a coaching staff or b.) you just don't like football.

I agree.:thumpsup: I dont think it is too much to ask for to be able to teach and refresh the new football players and even returning ones during the spring. Right now, we are just going helmets and shoulder pads...and LEARNING new plays/fundamentals/defensive schemes and alignments and its not too much to ask for for an hr. a day.
I agree with you guys! Fleming County will wrap up their Spring Ball with an intrasquad scrimmage tomorrow at 5:30. They have two 24 man teams that are "chomping at the bit" to get after each other!
I love spring practice.
Go Neers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HazzBeen Wrote:Spring football is extremely important for a football team especially if you are a new coach and you want to put in your system before the season. Basketball has the summer to do this and baseball has the winter, and now football has the spring. No it isn't for conditioning purposes and most schools don't push their baseball players to participate. When I played, however, I went to both practices and loved it. It should be up to the player IMO if they want to do both. If you think spring football is a joke than your school is either a.) not doing it right and has a joke for a coaching staff or b.) you just don't like football.
I agree, some people in this state still treat football like its a hobby and not a real sport. Nobody says anything when the B-ball team gets together in june or the baseball team gets together in january. Spring ball is an oppurtunity for a coach to evaluate his team and see what players have improved and what players need to do to continue to improve between now and when summer practice starts. I wish we had spring ball when I played I wouldve loved it.
how many days a week does your teams practice
Southwesterns Spring ball was pretty awesome.