Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockcastle County Football 2011
the record is 0-1 , and i think thats the way you build program freshman jv varsity not futures then varsity
Unregistered Wrote:Reason for the change is numbers. Not enough kids for 3 teams.
Numbers? you can take some freshmen and play both jv and freshmen so its not numbers. when i played it would killed us if they was no jv or freshman games think bout it
Unregistered Wrote:Reason for the change is numbers. Not enough kids for 3 teams.

Not enough kids, we have 17 or more freshmen and add a few sophs we have 24. that is enough for a freshmen and jv team
NUMBERS are not bad you can take some freshmen and play jv too
Who is the one responsible for the changes in football. Whosaid it was due to money because I see busses going to games every night when I get home.
Sounds like some of you guys need to put in an application at the board of education to coach being as you have all the answers. Way to support the program.
The head coach is over the whole program from little league to varsity
former Wrote:Who is the one responsible for the changes in football. Whosaid it was due to money because I see busses going to games every night when I get home.

I think that the overall change made from Monday JV games and Thursday freshman games to Thursday Futures games is becoming an accepted statewide thing with schools. With fuel prices as high as they are, I think that school systems(including Rockcastle) are looking for ways to save money. Some schools still do have freshman and JV teams playing respective games each week, and that is because they either have supporters with deeper pockets or the school system itself has been able to find more money to fund them. The buses seen passing could be anything from middle school girls basketball, cross country, high school volleyball to band competitions. The high school football team did not even take the freshmen to Jabez this year as a cost cutting measure (which is a first) and also only took a bus down to haul players there. The coaches pulled the equipment on their own personal trailers instead of having a bus for that use. They used to travel with three buses to Jabez and kept an old one there to haul the kids back and forth to practice. The coaches hauled the kids back and forth on an old flat bed trailer that the equipment was pulled down there on this year. Everyone is having to tighten up because the money is just NOT there. There have been more fund raisers for every sport this year and if you have a kid playing ANY sport, you have to plan on putting in a little time for your child or children to make participating as nice as possible. With the extra fund raising going on with so many different teams. Businesses and patrons have only so much money to go around and football is an extremely expensive sport.

As far as the numbers thing goes. Derrick Bussell (Frog), whom has taken over as Middle School coach has done an exceptional job in increasing participation at the middle school level. When my youngest was doing track practice in the spring there were numbers near fifty working out in the weight room, agilities on the field and conditioning by running bleachers and stands. Those are numbers with baseball and track going on and missing out on some those kids. My hat goes off to Derrick and his efforts to help the football program get better.

As far as the 6th grade team situation.....No, there is no longer a sixth grade Rockcastle football team. I have my opinion about that, but, I will keep it to myself. Richard Gibbs has done a fine job of coaching them for the past several years and I have appreciated the way he treated my boys when they came through. Again, I suspect it is a money issue as the sixth grade team was sponsored by the youth program and not the school system. The youth program had to absorb the costs associated with not only equipment, but, you got it....the cost of transporting the kids on buses to and from games. (paying a driver and fuel costs on a mid distance school trip might run 125 bucks for fuel and driver) Now, that program got most of it's money from.....bingo....you guessed it, the bingo parlor that shut down a year or so ago. So again money woes have cut into sports this way as well. And Rockcastle businesses are trying their best to support all of these programs to make things better for the kids, but again, there is just so much money that can go around. So, the youth league is redrawn with, flag football for the really small kids, 3rd and 4th grade football teams, and 5th and 6th grade football teams.

That, from my knowledge and understanding is what is going on with football at Rockcastle. Until someone hits the Powerball and wants to donate a slice of the winnings to buy a turf field and be mega supporters for the program, Rockcastle football will do as most of the other teams in the state and struggle to get by with support that it currently gets through the generosity of local businesses, supporters and admissions revenue.

I hope this answers your questions.
Unregistered Wrote:Sounds like some of you guys need to put in an application at the board of education to coach being as you have all the answers. Way to support the program.

No one here has critisized coaching, only the direction our program going. I have not missed a game in 3 years.
I do know the freshmen girls and boys basketball go on away games by themselves, as does many others.

No one I know has heard of any other schools doing a future team, at least none around us do.
I know no one was critical of the coaching, But if you all know what is best then go help coach.
I think suggestions fall on def ears when you try to help
Unregistered Wrote:I know no one was critical of the coaching, But if you all know what is best then go help coach.

How are we supposed to help him?
This team is not as good as everyone thinks.
I disagree I think they are very good
Accountant Wrote:This team is not as good as everyone thinks.

How good does everyone think they are? If they say State Champs or Semi-Finalists they are wrong. If they say district champs or serious district contenders, I say they are right. I could see them going to the regional championship game and losing to a Lex Cath or Boyle County.

Perspective matters.