Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newport Catholic: Senior Kelly finally gets title
BOWLING GREEN – Newport Central Catholic senior standout Chris Kelly was no stranger to the state finals.

In 2007 he was a late-season freshman call up when the Thoroughbreds lost 21-7. As a sophomore he was a linebacker and backup running back when they lost the rematch 26-23.

He had no experience, however, when it came to state championship glory. By Friday evening at L.T. Smith Stadium, he was reveling in it.

“I kept those two losses inside me,” Kelly said. “I didn’t want that to happen again. We prepared all year for this game.”

Kelly was the Class 2A state finals player of the game, rushing for 165 yards and two touchdowns in the Thoroughbreds 42-0 win over Owensboro Catholic. He also was a defensive standout, rarely leaving his linebacker position as NewCath shut out one of the state’s most prolific offense. He knocked down a pass and had a key third-down tackle in the rout.

Kelly, an all-area player on offense and defense, said playing both ways is second nature to him.

“I’ve been doing it my whole life,” he said. “Like my dad told me, I’ve been playing those two positions since I was 5 years old. Everything up to now prepared me for this moment tonight. And I was ready.”

He was ready from the get-go. He carried the ball 15 times on the Thoroughbreds’ first 25 plays – running counters, catching pitches and galloping through the Aces’ secondary.

“The kid’s an animal. He really is,” said NewCath coach Eddie Eviston. “He plays both sides of the ball and he’ll hit ya on both sides of the ball. And he practices as hard as he plays. That’s what makes that kid special.”

Kelly’s second score gave him 65 career touchdowns, moving him past Steve Everson and into first place on the school’s all-time list.

NewCath rushed for 390 yards. Most of it came from Kelly and his cousin, NewCath junior quarterback Brady Hightchew.

“We have a great feel for each other, since we’ve been playing together since we were little,” said Hightchew, who finished with 87 rushing yards and two touchdowns. “It was something special tonight for sure.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...312030105/
Chris Kelly is one of the toughest players to come out of NK this year. Played both ways when needed and gained the tough yeads. The kid took a pounding and dished out more than he received. A hard hitter with deceptive speed, the kid is a WINNER. Any college, and I'm talking D 1, would be fortunate to take a shot on this boy bucause he can play at any level. Sometimes the size of the HEART means more than the size of the body.
I'd like to see him playing at Georgetown. He's a good, tough RB.
I played against/with a really good player from NewCath named Mike Kelly back in the early/mid '80s.

Any Breds fans know if he's related?
Gitback Coach Wrote:I played against/with a really good player from NewCath named Mike Kelly back in the early/mid '80s.

Any Breds fans know if he's related?

Mike is an uncle. Mark is Chris's dad, who was also a standout at NCC. Chris brothers Sean & Ben are graduates who went on to play football at Union. Mark is currently playing college baseball. Of the four brothers, Sean was the only one to not win a State title. Kyle is the youngest and is a phenomenal player in the youth leagues.
Stardust Wrote:Mike is an uncle. Mark is Chris's dad, who was also a standout at NCC. Chris brothers Sean & Ben are graduates who went on to play football at Union. Mark is currently playing college baseball. Of the four brothers, Sean was the only one to not win a State title. Kyle is the youngest and is a phenomenal player in the youth leagues.

But it must be added in Shawn's defense: He played in 2 state finals in his soph and junior years, where the Breds lost very competitive games to that dang Danville. The boys who played at NCC during Shawn's 3 year run are credited for reviving NewCath football program and beginning the run the Bred's have been on thoughout the 2000's, after some rough times in the 90's.