Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lead found in artificial field turf
Didn't expect lead to be in turf.
Keep in mind that only two fields in one state (NJ) were determined to have lead. That is far from being a conclusive finding that all fields have the same problem. Furthermore, both fields were installed by one company (AstroTurf). Before people turn hysterical and think that all artificial turfs, installed by all companies, in all states are laden by lead, a lot more study needs to be, and is being, conducted.
Buyer beware!
So long as the lead is in a compound which can't be processed by the human metabolism, then there's no problem. I work in XRay, and we work with compounds in the human body all the time which the body can't metabolise, so there's (usually) no harm from them. Lead Chromate is easily metabolised, though (the compound cited in the article). I find it interesting that 10 polyethylene fields were tested and found no lead at all, while both of the nylon fields tested had lead. Could simply be how well those plastics hold their color. I'm interested to find out what the fields at Belfry, SVHS, Pikeville, and others, are made of...
Sarrr Wrote:So long as the lead is in a compound which can't be processed by the human metabolism, then there's no problem. I work in XRay, and we work with compounds in the human body all the time which the body can't metabolise, so there's (usually) no harm from them. Lead Chromate is easily metabolised, though (the compound cited in the article). I find it interesting that 10 polyethylene fields were tested and found no lead at all, while both of the nylon fields tested had lead. Could simply be how well those plastics hold their color. I'm interested to find out what the fields at Belfry, SVHS, Pikeville, and others, are made of...

Polyethylene at Belfry.