Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early December Impressions in the 15th...
What's everyone's impressions of teams in the 15th Region thus far? I've seen quite a few teams here early on...for what it's worth, here are my impressions:

East Ridge: Wolter and Kasongo along with their coach Preston Lemaster are settling in well with the Tribe. A convincing win over 14th region heavyweight Letcher Central gives fan a glimpse at the potential this bunch from East Ridge has. Also enjoy the guard play of Freshman Johnny Miller and Hayden Mullins at forward has a nice touch.

Shelby Valley: Belter is getting better...lots of players on this team that Coach Newsome can plug & play at anytime. The guards should become more consistent and the Wildcats are again one of the top teams in our region.

Betsy Layne: The addition of Dylan Meade just gives Junior Newsome another weapon. Meade is finding out that he has more game than just shooting the outside shot. His confidence at the end of the Male win was impressive as he slashed to the basket for the game winning bucket. Yet this team goes as Andrew Roberts goes. Getting points from him is big, yet it's his work on the offensive glass and garbage bucks, along with defense that leads this team. If he stays out of foul trouble, Betsy Layne is easily a Top 5 team in this region.

Magoffin County: Watch these guys play straight up man-to-man defense and you'll not be surprised as to why their off to such a great start. Corey Pitts has a nice touch inside, Colton Howes opens up the middle with his outside shot...but the wheel that turns this team is guard Nathan Howard, very aggressive on both ends.

Prestonsburg and Allen Central are benefitting from new coaches and fresh starts, yet there will be bumps for both teams with new players adjusting who have came back to these programs and others finding their roles.

South Floyd may have the best player in the 58th District in Brandon Marson, who someone missed the preseason Top 10 best players in the Region list by most others. If others can step-up around him, you can't count out the Raiders with Marson's play.

Pikeville has the unfortunate luck of being in 59th district, where they have a fight on their hands to surive district play. Mostly centered on guard play, the Panthers have some adjustments to make after a disappointing end to last season.

Phelps got a nice win over Paintsville early on...The Tigers have a ways to go in a tough 57th...Sheldon Clark is a team most are picking as a Top 5 favorite, yet depth may be an issue for them as the season wears on...Pike Central is looking for former role players to fill bigger shoes, hoping transfer Owen Caudill settles into a starting position and Ethan Blackburn develops ahead of the curve with his size down low.

These are just teams I've seen or listened to...just my random thoughts. What say you?
Sheldon Clark is the best team at this point IMO. JC has been a bust so far with all the talent they have over there. Not seen everyone but I think betsy lane and shelby valley will be right in the mix by the end of the season. Should be another competitive yr in the 15th.
ballstar Wrote:Sheldon Clark is the best team at this point IMO. JC has been a bust so far with all the talent they have over there. Not seen everyone but I think betsy lane and shelby valley will be right in the mix by the end of the season. Should be another competitive yr in the 15th.
Shelby Valley seems to own this region, have to continue to rate them King of the 15th till
they are dethroned.
^agree, dont know how but they r always there come tourney time.
I like Betsy lane , Sheldon Clark , The Ridge Warriors , The Valley Dwellers and we'll see about Pikeville later:Thumbs:And I hope _______ wins it all.
East Ridge
Johnson Central
Sheldon Clark
Betsy Layne
Pikeville
Shelby Valley
----------
Everyone else
ballstar Wrote:Sheldon Clark is the best team at this point IMO. JC has been a bust so far with all the talent they have over there. Not seen everyone but I think betsy lane and shelby valley will be right in the mix by the end of the season. Should be another competitive yr in the 15th.

Im tired of hearing "JC has been a bust", JC is the one of the youngest teams in region. In both our losses we were in situations to win the game and WE(the players) didn't execute. Coach McKenzie and our assisants are PHENOMINAL, traveling to scout, preparing us in practice, and giving us the instruction we need to succeed. And mark this down, come feburary Johnson Central will be the BEST team in region.
I agree with everybody else..SC,BL,SV, and East Ridge are at the top of this region
It's early in the season, and I haven't got to see other 15th Region teams, but I do know that ER is for real. Hopefully I'll get to see Pikeville and SV soon to see what kind of district competition we have this year...but what I have seen from ER has made me very happy, they just keep progressing every game and practice and you seen that in the Letcher Central game.

They have everything you want in a starting lineup. Scoring, the 3pointer, physicality, strength, quickness, finish at the rim, height...everything. Wolter can do ANYTHING he want against almost anyone, and when he goes into beast mode in both scoring and passing, it's freakin dangerous. The other team doesn;t know if he's going to pull up for a three, drive and pass out to Johnny Miller for an open 3, finish the layup or dunk himself, or take Ray Kasongo's defender off of him for help and then throw it up for an alley-oop dunk or a one dribble and go up hard. He just gives the offense so many options, along with the options at the 2, 3, 4 and 5. Ray can play the 3, 4 or 5 depending on where he's needed. It's just such a versatile team, from top to bottom.

This team is probably one of the closest team's I've ever seen...Coach LeMaster is an awesome coach who connects with his players perfectly, from the freshman at the end of the bench to Tony Wolter who's getting letter's from every top 10 team in college basketball. They just love each other and they show it when they play. The only other team I've ever seen so close and smooth in their play this early is the 2003-2004 Warriors, and we all know what they did, magical 59th District and 15th Region Championships.

I am freakin' excited for this season, and I love these boys. Not a different group of young men I'd rather have playing for and representing my alma mater than these boys and Coach LeMaster...Go Warriors!
^ I agree 100% ( GREAT POST)
Its still VERY EARLY. If the tourney were held tonight, I have to give the edge to Sheldon Clark. They have been very impressive early on. My question about them is this though; have they maxed out or will they improve? Shelby Valley is also right there, they are young, but Very Talented. I do believe they will grow and improve. I also like Betsy Layne. The Bobcats have a quality win over Louisville Male and have a host of excellent young talent. B.L. will Certainly be in the mix and the end of the season. East Ridge has a very nice squad of young talent, the sky could be the limit for this squad. My question about them is; will they gel together? A big win over Letcher Central says yes, but after watching the Pike Central game, they looked like Ned in the third reader. I have a feeling this squad plays to the level of its competition. This can be very dangerous...... The surprise team early on is Magoffin Co.! They might not have the "star players" that some of the other teams have, but they sure seem to play well together and they sure play hard. Interesting to be sure! I can't wait to see how things unfold!!!
School Admin. Wrote:Its still VERY EARLY. If the tourney were held tonight, I have to give the edge to Sheldon Clark. They have been very impressive early on. My question about them is this though; have they maxed out or will they improve? Shelby Valley is also right there, they are young, but Very Talented. I do believe they will grow and improve. I also like Betsy Layne. The Bobcats have a quality win over Louisville Male and have a host of excellent young talent. B.L. will Certainly be in the mix and the end of the season. East Ridge has a very nice squad of young talent, the sky could be the limit for this squad. My question about them is; will they gel together? A big win over Letcher Central says yes, but after watching the Pike Central game, they looked like Ned in the third reader. I have a feeling this squad plays to the level of its competition. This can be very dangerous...... The surprise team early on is Magoffin Co.! They might not have the "star players" that some of the other teams have, but they sure seem to play well together and they sure play hard. Interesting to be sure! I can't wait to see how things unfold!!!

Like I mentioned before, I haven't seen any other 15th Region teams, but I've seen ER and been there for practice and games, been in Coach LeMaster's office and listened to him talk about this team...

They are gelling, and it's completely unbelievable to me how quick they are doing it. Also, the Pike Central game was before the Letcher game...this team grows with every game and practice, just like coach said. They went on dominate Phelps, and play Pburg at ER tomorrow night. They'll make a statement, I think.

Also, I agree with the rest of your post about BL, SV and SC. I'm liking BL the best out of those though, but my pick for Region winner is neither of the three. They will make this season one to remember though. Like I said, I can't wait...
I'll have to see each of these teams play more, but right now I have to agree that the top of the region belongs to Betsy Layne, Shelby Valley, East Ridge, and Sheldon Clark.
With the exception of Betsy Layne; the other top 4-5 teams can have a slip up in March and not even reach the regional tournament.
D IT UP Wrote:With the exception of Betsy Layne; the other top 4-5 teams can have a slip up in March and not even reach the regional tournament.

Disagree. I think all of the top 5 teams, BL, SC, SV, and ER will all make it easily.
vundy33 Wrote:Disagree. I think all of the top 5 teams, BL, SC, SV, and ER will all make it easily.

57th district tourny is at Paintsville this year and if anybody has ever witnessed tournament games in that gym then you know anything goes. It's as hectic as it gets. Upsets are very possible.
D IT UP Wrote:57th district tourny is at Paintsville this year and if anybody has ever witnessed tournament games in that gym then you know anything goes. It's as hectic as it gets. Upsets are very possible.

Oh for sure. I love when District is in those small gyms...in the 59th, we don't have anymore of those besides Pikeville. But yeah, I think they can get upset...I just think the teams I mentioned won't, for the most part.
vundy33 Wrote:Oh for sure. I love when District is in those small gyms...in the 59th, we don't have anymore of those besides Pikeville. But yeah, I think they can get upset...I just think the teams I mentioned won't, for the most part.
No offense, but how is a gym that seats 3,000+ small? It isn't even close to what the old gyms used to be like. Millard was hell on wheels when their crowd was into the game, because they were right on top of you, and everyone was on one side. I hated the old Johns Creek and Mullins gyms, but liked the fact the crowd was up and back. For what it is worth, far and away (in my opinion) the worst floor was Mullins, it was slick. Feds Creek was something else too, you couldn't turn around in their gym. I miss those old gyms too though. But none of the schools really has a bad or small gym anymore, all nice gyms. Pikeville's may be the smaller of the gyms, but really not "small".
^It's safe to say that Paintsville has the smallest gym in the Region.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
True. I forgot to mention their gym. Thanks for reminding me.
Just by score watching and having seen every team except East Ridge so far, Sheldon Clark is clearly the team to beat in our region. Friday will give us a lot more insight as they take on Johnson Central with them fresh off an impressive performance against Perry.
PHSForever Wrote:No offense, but how is a gym that seats 3,000+ small? It isn't even close to what the old gyms used to be like. Millard was hell on wheels when their crowd was into the game, because they were right on top of you, and everyone was on one side. I hated the old Johns Creek and Mullins gyms, but liked the fact the crowd was up and back. For what it is worth, far and away (in my opinion) the worst floor was Mullins, it was slick. Feds Creek was something else too, you couldn't turn around in their gym. I miss those old gyms too though. But none of the schools really has a bad or small gym anymore, all nice gyms. Pikeville's may be the smaller of the gyms, but really not "small".

I had no idea it was that big, I was just comparing it to the newer, bigger gyms. Pikeville's gym still has the capability to get crazy loud with half attendence, or not even that. The bigger ones don't.

And, I remember, and some of you do too, the 2004 59th District Tournament at Pikeville, specifically the East Ridge-Shelby Valley game. I have been to Rupp in some crazy games, but I have never been in a louder place in my life. I thought my ears were going to bleed. It was amazing, lol.

It was a compliment, lol. And the old ones you mention, gah, yes. Especially Feds Creek's double-decker thing they had going on. I remember the last EC-FC game ever there, the top was rocking back and forth. Scared me to death,lol.

These days, with Paintsville type gyms dying off, Pikeville's will become one of the smaller classics. It's like you can smell the history in there, hahaha. I love going to watch games there, but I hate the fans. Definitely one of the most effective fanbases around and are very capable of changing games.
D IT UP Wrote:Just by score watching and having seen every team except East Ridge so far, Sheldon Clark is clearly the team to beat in our region. Friday will give us a lot more insight as they take on Johnson Central with them fresh off an impressive performance against Perry.

I really, really want to go and watch that game.
D IT UP Wrote:Just by score watching and having seen every team except East Ridge so far, Sheldon Clark is clearly the team to beat in our region. Friday will give us a lot more insight as they take on Johnson Central with them fresh off an impressive performance against Perry.

Sheldon Clark is the hardest team to match up with in the region PERIOD and for 1 reason only. BJ Moore is a great player and mid-range jump shooter. Every other team has glaring weaknesses, other than SC.
vundy33 Wrote:I had no idea it was that big, I was just comparing it to the newer, bigger gyms. Pikeville's gym still has the capability to get crazy loud with half attendence, or not even that. The bigger ones don't.

And, I remember, and some of you do too, the 2004 59th District Tournament at Pikeville, specifically the East Ridge-Shelby Valley game. I have been to Rupp in some crazy games, but I have never been in a louder place in my life. I thought my ears were going to bleed. It was amazing, lol.

It was a compliment, lol. And the old ones you mention, gah, yes. Especially Feds Creek's double-decker thing they had going on. I remember the last EC-FC game ever there, the top was rocking back and forth. Scared me to death,lol.

These days, with Paintsville type gyms dying off, Pikeville's will become one of the smaller classics. It's like you can smell the history in there, hahaha. I love going to watch games there, but I hate the fans. Definitely one of the most effective fanbases around and are very capable of changing games.
Oh, I didn't take offense, that's why I said "No offense, but how is it small"? Thought maybe you hadn't been there in a while and had forgotten how loud it can get. Honestly, the 2 best games I've been to in recent memory (besides at Pikeville) were East Ridge and Shelby Valley last year. The regular season game against Valley over there was CRAZY and I loved it. The game at East Ridge was just...crazy. lol What I mean is, it was two great fan bases going against each other as hard as the players on the floor were. There was a little controversy afterwards when some people took exception to Pikeville kids tearing down ONE sign up on the balcony railing, but nothing bad.

I don't get offended easily, especially on sites like this, so I know you meant nothing by it, based on other posts I've read of yours.

And if you can't at least smell the history in TW Oliver Gymnasium, you can look up at the banners representing all sports and their district/regional titles, etc. :biggrin:
PHSForever Wrote:Oh, I didn't take offense, that's why I said "No offense, but how is it small"? Thought maybe you hadn't been there in a while and had forgotten how loud it can get. Honestly, the 2 best games I've been to in recent memory (besides at Pikeville) were East Ridge and Shelby Valley last year. The regular season game against Valley over there was CRAZY and I loved it. The game at East Ridge was just...crazy. lol What I mean is, it was two great fan bases going against each other as hard as the players on the floor were. There was a little controversy afterwards when some people took exception to Pikeville kids tearing down ONE sign up on the balcony railing, but nothing bad.

I don't get offended easily, especially on sites like this, so I know you meant nothing by it, based on other posts I've read of yours.

And if you can't at least smell the history in TW Oliver Gymnasium, you can look up at the banners representing all sports and their district/regional titles, etc. :biggrin:

lol, I missed last season, every bit of it, but I heard about the awesomeness. Wish the 59th was at Pikeville or ER this season..anywhere but Valley.
I'll do mine when I have a chance to watch all the 15th region teams. So far I've watched Betsy Layne, Prestonsburg, Magoffin County, Pikeville, Pike Central, and Allen Central.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL