Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 13th Region Top 10 1/4/11
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would like to start keeping up with everyone's thoughts on the 13th region top 10 weekly.
There is so many bad losses going on in this region that we could literally have a new number one every week.

With that said, heres my top 10.

1. Bell County (5-1)

Key Wins: Harlan County (55-42), McCreary Central (55-46), Buckhorn AL. (56-43)
Losses: Scott Co.(79-56)
Bell is the clear number one in my opinion right now. They havent played a lot of games yet, but I believe that was a smart move on the coach due to the football players. There only loss came to Scott Co. who would beat everyone in this region that bad.

2. Whitley County (9-3)
Key Wins: South Laurel (69-59), Barbourville (66-44), North Laurel (62-52), Perry County Central (60-54)
Losses: Danville (62-56) Highlands (44-36), North Laurel (44-43)
Whitley has shown they can be vulnerable at times but compared to the rest of the region, stacks up well against the rest of the competition. A bad loss to NL in the Cumberland Falls Tourney looked bad for Whitley, but they were beat on a last second shot. Look for improvement out of this senior laden team.

3. Clay County (8-4)
Key Wins: Corbin (49-42), Knox Central (65-56), Lafayette (59-58)
Losses: Henry Clay (66-54), Tates Creek (53-24), Scott Co. (84-64), North Laurel (68-56)
Clay IMO is still one of the best teams in the region despite losing four of their last five. Clay is hard team to figure out. They play extremely well at times, and then they play so bad I think Red Bird could beat them. If they start getting things together they could climb there way back up, however if they keep up what there doing there going to start falling......FAST.

4. Harlan Co. (10-3)
Key Wins: Prestonsburg (61-54), East Carter (44-43), Anderson Co. (61-60)
Losses: Buckhorn (53-50), Bell Co. (55-42), Sayre (62-49)
Harlan Co. is one I debate on every time. Even though they have the best record in the region, their wins have came against mediocre teams at best. They have been winning consistently and only lost to my number one by 13, but they get beat by a Sayre team badly and Sayre got rocked by Corbin. Hopefully that was just a bad game, and Harlan will continue to improve. I'm keeping my faith for now, but once region play begins, we will see if they start steadily moving down.

5. Corbin (8-4)

Key Wins: Sayre (62-47), North Laurel (72-67), Shelby Valley (59-44)
Losses: Clay County (49-42 OT), Perry County Central (69-49), Wilson Central TN (71-47), Scott Co. (85-47)
Corbin is definitely the sleeper in the region that could beat any team in the region. There up and down like everyone else, like a blowout loss to Perry but then came back to beat a good NL team. They to lost to Scott Co. but everyone knows Scott would destroy anyone in this region. If Corbin continues to improve they could end up in a top 3 spot soon.

6. Barbourville (9-3)

Key Wins: Rockcastle Co. (78-53), Ludlow (62-40), Bindlee Mt. AL. (89-36)
Losses: Whitley Co. (66-44), Harrison Co. (61-54), Eagles Landing GA. (54-46)
Bville is a team we wont know much about until their district play begins. With the way KC is playing, Bville IMO could play with them and win. Their wins arent that great but they are win, something a lot of teams in the region are struggling to do. I have a feeling Bville is going to lose a lot of games, but right now I cant go against them until they lose. They might even surprise by picking up more wins.

7. South Laurel (6-6)

Key Wins: Buckhorn (65-62), North Laurel (66-62), Pendleton Co. (58-44)
Key Losses: Buckhorn (48-44), Whitley Co. (69-59), Ballard (89-48) Deming (68-62)
South falls right into that 4-10 category where any of these teams could be switched around and an argument could still be made for any of them. There so close to being one of the top teams but being in a district with Whitley and Corbin will be there downfall IMO. There still in the mix and the season is young enough for them to still find that key guy.

8. Knox Central (3-8
)
Key Wins: Cumberland Gap TN (75-73), Harlan (74-69), Lee Co. (59-35)
Key Losses: Clay County (65-56), Pulaski Co. (52-51), Scott (70-56)
KC is probably the most underachieving team in the region so far. There a win or two away from being my number 3 team in the region. Their losses have been close games to teams who are blowing out other teams in the region. I know Coach Evans, and know he will get things rolling. I look for KC to be a top 3 team in the region by seasons end, but with there losses i just cant put them their now.

9. North Laurel (6-7)
Key Wins: Letcher Co. (66-61), Whitley Co. (44-43), Clay Co. (68-56)
Key Losses: Corbin (72-67) Whitley Co. (62-51), Rockcastle Co. (75-61)
North can play well at times like there close win over Whitley and their HUGE win over Clay. But there just another 13th region team that struggles to keep up with the good play. I know most will have them ranked higher, and for good reason, but they have some really bad losses and if they dont keep playing consistently, there in for a long season.

10. Harlan (6-5)
Key Wins: Pineville (74-66), Jellico TN. (72-44), Mboro (71-52)
Key Losses: Scott Co. (85-54), Shelby Co. (59-48), Edmonson Co. (65-45)
I was so close to moving Harlan up last week with some good talks of their team. But, after last weeks losses to a previously win less shelby Co. and a bad loss to Edmonson Co. they stay at my number 10. I really hope they can start playing up to the hype some users are giving them and they could move up.

Best of the Rest
11. Williamsburg (6-4)
12.Jackson Co. 6-5)
13.Pineville (4-5)
14.Lynn Camp (3-5)
15.OBI (2-1)
16.Middlesboro (2-8)
17.Red Bird (2-3)

This is a tough year to come up with a top 10 for this region. Every team from 4-10 could easily be moved around. Teams like NL have good wins, but there inconsistency kills them. Corbin plays well then doesnt. Harlan has a lot of hype but losses to some bad teams.
KC has to be my biggest disappointment so far but there losses have came close and to good teams.
My top 3 are pretty solid right now but once region play begins ill be able to better pick my teams in the right places like many of you will.
Now that its January, a lot of these games will start and give us a clearer picture.

Thoughts?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I would like to start keeping up with everyone's thoughts on the 13th region top 10 weekly.
There is so many bad losses going on in this region that we could literally have a new number one every week.

1. Bell County (5-1)

Bell is the clear number one in my opinion right now. They havent played a lot of games yet, but I believe that was a smart move on the coach due to the football players. There only loss came to Scott Co. who would beat everyone in this region that bad.

2. Whitley County (9-3)
Key Wins: South Laurel (69-59), Barbourville (66-44), North Laurel (62-52), Perry County Central (60-54)
Whitley has shown they can be vulnerable at times but compared to the rest of the region, stacks up well against the rest of the competition. A bad loss to NL in the Cumberland Falls Tourney looked bad for Whitley, but they were beat on a last second shot. Look for improvement out of this senior laden team.

3. Clay County (8-4)
Losses: Henry Clay (66-54), Tates Creek (53-24), Scott Co. (84-64), North Laurel (68-56)
Clay IMO is still one of the best teams in the region despite losing four of their last five. Clay is hard team to figure out. They play extremely well at times, and then they play so bad I think Red Bird could beat them. If they start getting things together they could climb there way back up, however if they keep up what there doing there going to start falling......FAST.

4. Harlan Co. (10-3)
Harlan Co. is one I debate on every time. Even though they have the best record in the region, their wins have came against mediocre teams at best. They have been winning consistently and only lost to my number one by 13, but they get beat by a Sayre team badly and Sayre got rocked by Corbin. Hopefully that was just a bad game, and Harlan will continue to improve. I'm keeping my faith for now, but once region play begins, we will see if they start steadily moving down.

5. Corbin (8-4)

Losses: Clay County (49-42 OT), Perry County Central (69-49), Wilson Central TN (71-47), Scott Co. (85-47)
Corbin is definitely the sleeper in the region that could beat any team in the region. There up and down like everyone else, like a blowout loss to Perry but then came back to beat a good NL team. They to lost to Scott Co. but everyone knows Scott would destroy anyone in this region. If Corbin continues to improve they could end up in a top 3 spot soon.

6. Barbourville (9-3)

Bville is a team we wont know much about until their district play begins. With the way KC is playing, Bville IMO could play with them and win. Their wins arent that great but they are win, something a lot of teams in the region are struggling to do. I have a feeling Bville is going to lose a lot of games, but right now I cant go against them until they lose. They might even surprise by picking up more wins.

7. South Laurel (6-6)

Key Losses: Buckhorn (48-44), Whitley Co. (69-59), Ballard (89-48) Deming (68-62)
South falls right into that 4-10 category where any of these teams could be switched around and an argument could still be made for any of them. There so close to being one of the top teams but being in a district with Whitley and Corbin will be there downfall IMO. There still in the mix and the season is young enough for them to still find that key guy.

8. Knox Central (3-8
)
KC is probably the most underachieving team in the region so far. There a win or two away from being my number 3 team in the region. Their losses have been close games to teams who are blowing out other teams in the region. I know Coach Evans, and know he will get things rolling. I look for KC to be a top 3 team in the region by seasons end, but with there losses i just cant put them their now.

9. North Laurel (6-7)
North can play well at times like there close win over Whitley and their HUGE win over Clay. But there just another 13th region team that struggles to keep up with the good play. I know most will have them ranked higher, and for good reason, but they have some really bad losses and if they dont keep playing consistently, there in for a long season.

10. Harlan (6-5)
I was so close to moving Harlan up last week with some good talks of their team. But, after last weeks losses to a previously win less shelby Co. and a bad loss to Edmonson Co. they stay at my number 10. I really hope they can start playing up to the hype some users are giving them and they could move up.

Best of the Rest
11. Williamsburg (6-4)
12.Jackson Co. 6-5)
13.Pineville (4-5)
14.Lynn Camp (3-5)
15.OBI (2-1)
16.Middlesboro (2-8)
17.Red Bird (2-3)

This is a tough year to come up with a top 10 for this region. Every team from 4-10 could easily be moved around. Teams like NL have good wins, but there inconsistency kills them. Corbin plays well then doesnt. Harlan has a lot of hype but losses to some bad teams.
KC has to be my biggest disappointment so far but there losses have came close and to good teams.
My top 3 are pretty solid right now but once region play begins ill be able to better pick my teams in the right places like many of you will.
Now that its January, a lot of these games will start and give us a clearer picture.

Thoughts?

Looks pretty good but I son't see that Bell is number one they have a long way to go. A good showing in the WYMT will help your case. I do think that they region is wide open this year. I thought that Clay would be the clear cut favorite but they are not.
I think you're pretty solid RunItUpTheGut.

I was in Lexington for the tourney and to support my Black Bears. So I saw the Sayre game. It wasn't pretty. After the 30 point defeat that HC had against Somerset, the Anderson County game was highly anticipated. IMHO, HC clearly looked past Sayre and continuted to insert their heads rectally.....
The Anderson County game was the best I've seen all year. I thought we would go into a second overtime, but it didn't. I'm not sure I could have stood it!!
The Bell County game was interesting in that the score was separated by only 1 point at the beginning of the 4th.
HC is so young that they tend to be explosive and unpredictable. I'm excited for this team to stay together and stay healthy. If they do, next year and then the NEXT year will be those to watch carefully!!
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I would like to start keeping up with everyone's thoughts on the 13th region top 10 weekly.

1. Bell County (5-1)

2. Whitley County (9-3)

3. Clay County (8-4)

4. Harlan Co. (10-3)

5. Corbin (8-4)

6. Barbourville (9-3)

7. South Laurel (6-6)

8. Knox Central (3-8
)

9. North Laurel (6-7)

10. Harlan (6-5)

Best of the Rest
11. Williamsburg (6-4)
12.Jackson Co. 6-5)
13.Pineville (4-5)
14.Lynn Camp (3-5)
15.OBI (2-1)
16.Middlesboro (2-8)
17.Red Bird (2-3)

Thoughts?
KC will be ranked higher. We have played a very tough schedule this year. Most of the teams that we played at Lex Catholic tournament would beat any team in the 13th region. We lost to Pulaski by 1 point. Pulaski or Wayne county is picked to win the 12th region. We also lost to holmes which is a very good team by four points. We played right with Elliott County the whole game. Louisville Scott we should have won that game but turnovers killed us. We played Paducha Tillman which is ranked 19th in the state, we led most of that game but we lost. All of these teams are tough. Most of the games were 5 to 7 point games before fouling took place. I can see why you ranked us so low, seeing how you never seen us play at Lexington Catholics Tournamet. We are playing real good ball right now! I for one am glad that those games are over. We are well prepared to play in the 13th region. Our defense will be our best weapon. Travis Canady, Jefferey Canady and TJ Kelly will clean up the front court. They are some of the best defenders in the region. Our offense has come a long way. Team ball has become our second best weapon. We are getting the ball to the right person at the right time. John barger has done well at running the point and knows how to get the job done. Billy Barrett has been a beast coming off the bench. We have a lot to prove to our 13th region teams. We start District tonight against Lynn Camp. We play Pineville Friday night and Barbourville next Tuesday night. We will know by next week where we stand in the district. I am excited about our chances to get to region. KC will make some noise and it will be loud!
Prototype Wrote:KC will be ranked higher. We have played a very tough schedule this year. Most of the teams that we played at Lex Catholic tournament would beat any team in the 13th region. We lost to Pulaski by 1 point. Pulaski or Wayne county is picked to win the 12th region. We also lost to holmes which is a very good team by four points. We played right with Elliott County the whole game. Louisville Scott we should have won that game but turnovers killed us. We played Paducha Tillman which is ranked 19th in the state, we led most of that game but we lost. All of these teams are tough. Most of the games were 5 to 7 point games before fouling took place. I can see why you ranked us so low, seeing how you never seen us play at Lexington Catholics Tournamet. We are playing real good ball right now! I for one am glad that those games are over. We are well prepared to play in the 13th region. Our defense will be our best weapon. Travis Canady, Jefferey Canady and TJ Kelly will clean up the front court. They are some of the best defenders in the region. Our offense has come a long way. Team ball has become our second best weapon. We are getting the ball to the right person at the right time. John barger has done well at running the point and knows how to get the job done. Billy Barrett has been a beast coming off the bench. We have a lot to prove to our 13th region teams. We start District tonight against Lynn Camp. We play Pineville Friday night and Barbourville next Tuesday night. We will know by next week where we stand in the district. I am excited about our chances to get to region. KC will make some noise and it will be loud!

I may be wrong but I think it is Covington Scott.

KC will always have a great chance to GET to region with the district they are in.
Prototype Wrote:KC will be ranked higher. We have played a very tough schedule this year. Most of the teams that we played at Lex Catholic tournament would beat any team in the 13th region. We lost to Pulaski by 1 point. Pulaski or Wayne county is picked to win the 12th region. We also lost to holmes which is a very good team by four points. We played right with Elliott County the whole game. Louisville Scott we should have won that game but turnovers killed us. We played Paducha Tillman which is ranked 19th in the state, we led most of that game but we lost. All of these teams are tough. Most of the games were 5 to 7 point games before fouling took place. I can see why you ranked us so low, seeing how you never seen us play at Lexington Catholics Tournamet. We are playing real good ball right now! I for one am glad that those games are over. We are well prepared to play in the 13th region. Our defense will be our best weapon. Travis Canady, Jefferey Canady and TJ Kelly will clean up the front court. They are some of the best defenders in the region. Our offense has come a long way. Team ball has become our second best weapon. We are getting the ball to the right person at the right time. John barger has done well at running the point and knows how to get the job done. Billy Barrett has been a beast coming off the bench. We have a lot to prove to our 13th region teams. We start District tonight against Lynn Camp. We play Pineville Friday night and Barbourville next Tuesday night. We will know by next week where we stand in the district. I am excited about our chances to get to region. KC will make some noise and it will be loud!

I agree and trust me I want to move KC up. But as i stated they just dont have enough wins yet to move up in a legitimate top 10. In my personal opinion, I think Knox is the 3rd or 4th best team in the region. Once region play starts, we will see how everything unfolds.
1. Bell Co.- Very physical team on both ends of the floor.
2. Clay Co.- Most talent in the region/Should be best team by regional time.
3. Whitley Co.- Most improved team in the region.
4. Corbin- Very phyiscal team that still has good talent.
5. North L. - Very quick team with improved big man.
6. South L.- Quick team with good guard play.
7. Harlan Co.- Very young team, could be a year away from being top 2 or 3 in region.
8. Harlan- They have two nice wing players that can score in bunches.
9. Knox Central- They have top two or three talent in the region. I rated them this low because of record only. They should be a top 5 team by the end of the year.
10. Barbourville- Dangerous team that could get a win or two in regional play.
Mountain Wrote:1. Bell Co.- Very physical team on both ends of the floor.
2. Clay Co.- Most talent in the region/Should be best team by regional time.
3. Whitley Co.- Most improved team in the region.
4. Corbin- Very phyiscal team that still has good talent.
5. North L. - Very quick team with improved big man.
6. South L.- Quick team with good guard play.
7. Harlan Co.- Very young team, could be a year away from being top 2 or 3 in region.
8. Harlan- They have two nice wing players that can score in bunches.
9. Knox Central- They have top two or three talent in the region. I rated them this low because of record only. They should be a top 5 team by the end of the year.
10. Barbourville- Dangerous team that could get a win or two in regional play.

Ive seen Corbin play numerous time this year. I dont disagree with the ranking but I do with the description. Also Knox has already beaten Harlan, and SL has beatin NL.
I guess you did not see the Corbin vs Clay Co. game.