Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Bellevue coach resigns
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/preps/2011/0...-bellevue/
frrom Ryan Ernst Blog:
Bellevue football coach Russ Shearer said today he won’t be back for the 2011 season.
“I’m going to tell the team later today,” he said. ”It’s not a football decision, but I can’t go into details right now.”
Shearer, a former college assistant, spent just one season in Bellevue. The Tigers went 5-7 and lost in the second round of the playoffs.
“I’m appreciative of the opportunity I had here,” he said. ”I have some other opportunities that I’ll be pursuing.”
Bellevue’s opening will be the third Northern Kentucky head football coaching vacany of the offseason. Campbell County and Dayton also had head coaches resign.
not surprised to hear this. I though Shearer was a nice guy and was a season or two away from fitting into high school, but there were rumors all season long that he rubbed off on the wrong people early and often. good luck to russ in the future

will bellevue open the job to outsiders? i know there are a couple guys that were on staff last year that could take over
^ Just knowing the issues that the Baseball coach has had with the Administration, your comment does not surprise me at all.
toussaints Wrote:not surprised to hear this. I though Shearer was a nice guy and was a season or two away from fitting into high school, but there were rumors all season long that he rubbed off on the wrong people early and often. good luck to russ in the future

will bellevue open the job to outsiders? i know there are a couple guys that were on staff last year that could take over
heard the same stuff - Non coaching issues in the transition in becoming a high school teacher.

They should open it up and see who's interested
Updated blog by Ryan Ernst

Changes afoot at Bellevue …

Posted by [email=rernst@enquirer.com]rernst[/email] 01/03/11, 11:13 am

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js"></SCRIPT>

Bellevue principal Mike Wills said Monday that football coach Russ Shearer informed him he would meet with the team to tell them he’s leaving the program.
“He’s indicated to me that he is going to seek other opportunities,” said Wills. ”But he hasn’t officially resigned and he hasn’t been fired. …
I didn’t pull him in for one year just to can him.”
Shearer, a former college assistant, led the Tigers to a 5-7 record in his only season at the school. Bellevue lost in the second round of the Class 1A state tournament.
Wills said the hiring process won’t begin until he gets an official resignation from Shearer.
“My hands are kind of tied at this time,” he said. ”Football has been one of our most successful programs in my tenure, so it’s not something we take lightly.”
anyone know of the "other opportunities" Russ plans on pursuing yet?..best of luck to bellevue in their search for a new head coach
? Quiet down Bellevue way. Any news?
^ I have heard nothing yet. I'll be with Bellevue's baseball coach next weekend, so I'll see what I can find out.
They still are accepting applications as of 2/15/11. No interviews have been scheduled yet
These schools are dragging their feet. Spring ball is just around the corner.
False Hope Wrote:These schools are dragging their feet. Spring ball is just around the corner.
I don't think Bellevue normally has spring football. Most of the small schools in Northern Kentucky don't since most of the athletes are involved in spring sports
Bellevue seeks coach

Bellevue athletic director Nick Wilson says the school is still seeking a coach to replace Russ Shearer, now defensive coordinator with the professional indoor Northern Kentucky River Monsters. Shearer was 5-7 in his only season as head coach after replacing Dave Eckstein.
"Whenever we find the right fit, we will hire that person," Wilson wrote in an e-mail.

Still Looking? interviews haven't started or been scheduled? Doesn't sound like a good situation going forward
From what I heard from parents at Bellevue that say they have talked to Mr. Wilson recently, Bellevue has offered the job to 3 coaches and all three have turned it down. According to the source all 3 wanted to continue teaching at their current schools and coach at Bellevue. Bellevue is looking for specific subject area teacher to be their coach which is also limiting their abilities to hire someone.
I think they have a coach just waiting to make sure a teaching position is availible. It was some one on staff last year and a teacher in the building
hopefully they get a good one, Bellevue deserves it
Hey Mustang could he had been the wrestling coach at Brossart?
Any idea on when an announcement could be made
Stardust Wrote:Any idea on when an announcement could be made

from what i heard today, bellevue has a guy in place, but they need the board to vote on it. didn't get a name, but he's not from NKY
toussaints Wrote:from what i heard today, bellevue has a guy in place, but they need the board to vote on it. didn't get a name, but he's not from NKY
did they learn a lesson with the last one?
^ Hmm, what is the underlying message that NKY is referring to? I'd love to know?????
nky Wrote:did they learn a lesson with the last one?

doubtful, depends on if this new guy is coming from a college or high school program
last guy came from college? What did they learn???
Stardust Wrote:last guy came from college? What did they learn???

Hopefully, they learned that you have to show a little support and back the man that you bring in! The "LAST GUY" as you call it stardust done a good job and would have continued to do a good job if they would have shown some intergrity and backed the man they choose.
Trenches07 Wrote:Hopefully, they learned that you have to show a little support and back the man that you bring in! The "LAST GUY" as you call it stardust done a good job and would have continued to do a good job if they would have shown some intergrity and backed the man they choose.
coaching is only a small part of a coach/teacher.
nky Wrote:coaching is only a small part of a coach/teacher.

WOW, you are kidding:notworthy
Trenches07 Wrote:WOW, you are kidding:notworthy
nope:biggrin:
That just show why the loose. Coaches coach and teacher teach.
False Hope Wrote:That just show why the loose. Coaches coach and teacher teach.

true, but coaching is teaching. many great coaches are great teachers.
In General if you're a coach and teach in the building you have to get it done in the class room as well as on the field.