Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Is religion a disease?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I found the dicussion in "red" on another website and found it to be interesting. I personally believe in God and do not seek to find any alternate evolutionary explanations or what have you, to why we exist.. How do you all feel about whats being dicussed below?

Richard Dawkins proposed the idea that religion is a memetic virus -- that is, a virus of the brain. Clearly you and I are capable of spreading our ideas to one another. Many of the ideas I have would not spread very far because people may be resistant to them for whatever reason. These "memes" may be unsuccessful because they require the presence of certain other memes or idea to be successful, such as a grasp of logic or the ability to be intellectually honest.

Religion, on the other hand, is an idea that spreads easily because it is custom-tailored to do so. Humans are psychologically pre-disposed to wanting the safety, comfort, and promise of ever-lasting life that religion brings. Evolution has assured us that much. Furthermore, most humans are exposed to this idea at a very young and impressionable age, when the immune system of logic and reason is not yet fuly formed. As a result, religion is an idea that just about everyone picks up (and believes) at some point.

So, is religion is a disease of the brain? Is reason the cure?
[code:1:5704c3d19c][/code:1:5704c3d19c]
If religion was custom tailored then why are there atheists, and non believers? If it was custom tailored then how come there aren't more people in church instead of in jail? If it was custom tailored then it would be an easy crutch for anyone to take a hold of. However I believe religion is just a word. The faith that people have is what counts whether it be christianity, buddahism, catholasism, or whatever.
These people have faith and honestly believe in their religion, and people have the choice to believe or not. So there goes the exposed at an early age argument. Because many people go away from their religion at some point in their life.
My brain is racked with stuff to say to this, but I can't get a clear argument out just yet. But I will be back lol.
I joined church june 1 2003 I was 18.I wasnt forced, I didnt even grow up in the church but once I went to church one sunday morning I wanted to kno more and after a couple sundays I had to join cause he`s words were so powerfull and i was touched my preacher got me this book called man Questions gods answers awsome book.No it`s no a virus ,it is a way of life and I choose to stay on the path I am on.

Another good book to get is "The Shadow of the Apocalypse. shows hidden codes in the bible about the future.

Anybody want to ask a Question about the Man questions gods answers I can give them to you.
Its not a virus, its a choice of a way of life, and a choice that I hope everyone chooses to make.
I agree with both of you.
4leaf Wrote:Its not a virus, its a choice of a way of life, and a choice that I hope everyone chooses to make.

AMEN
Ill give that another AMEN also
NO...it is not a disease, I dont want to affend anyone and trust me this is not a personal attack on anyone, but i think it isdangerous to say something like that! I don't mean you torQQue, but I think that is a very coarse way to title that article!
He just agreed that it's not a disease. And thats about the only way that you can title this thread.
Hip-hop Box Wrote:I joined church june 1 2003 I was 18.I wasnt forced, I didnt even grow up in the church but once I went to church one sunday morning I wanted to kno more and after a couple sundays I had to join cause he`s words were so powerfull and i was touched my preacher got me this book called man Questions gods answers awsome book.No it`s no a virus ,it is a way of life and I choose to stay on the path I am on.

Another good book to get is "The Shadow of the Apocalypse. shows hidden codes in the bible about the future.

Anybody want to ask a Question about the Man questions gods answers I can give them to you.

you also might want to try "The Case for Faith", and "The Case for Christ". Both of those books answer almost any skeptism on the belief of God, and his Son Jesus Christ
religion isnt really a disease but rather something humans have created to solve there problems by
Religion is a way of life a way that individuals feel to clear their sence of urgency to feel cleansed from everything that to them is evil, wrong, and sinful. Religion is not a disease but yet a choice by which America gives us. We can freely choose to glorify what ever god we have or place. We are all free thinkers in which gives us even the way of life to have our own type of religion and or theories. Do i belive in god yes do I belive in heaven and hell yes was i forced into this way of life i live today no b/c WERE ALL FREE THINKERS. Are some children forced into church yes and are some forced to b baptized yes but can they turn away yes and do some yes.
exactly :!:
Good post 15th
thanks
no i dont think that religion is a desiease its something u choose therefor not a disease
What about those who are brought up around religion since they were born? Do they choose?
Yes they can choose too.
One of my best friends has been going to a Catholic School his whole life, and isn't Catholic or religious by any standards.
like i said some childern are put into church and things and are kinda pushed into religion but once they get old enough to free think for some its over after that and their parents get pis sed
if it was a disease wouldnt it be contagious and everyone end up with it? That would leave only atheist immune to it. But, wouldnt atheism be considered a religion? there is some food for thought.
mmmmmmmmm it could b contagious if it was a disease but then medicine could b the train of thought to come up with your own belifes but yet i still think its not was just clarfieing coemthing on that i could b wrong.
i for one do not think it is a disease
sure it spreads and effects ppl, but its for the better
nothing has ever came close to making me think that religion is a deisease...
Religion isn't a disease. It's a crutch.