Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: NewCath's Smith named Lineman of the Year...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Newport Central Catholic senior Justin Smith was named Defensive Lineman of the Year by the Anthony Munoz Foundation for playing a key role in his team's drive to the Class A state championship.

Smith made 141 tackles at defensive end, including 27 tackles for a loss and two quarterback sacks. He's the first Northern Kentucky player to win the award that was established in 2002 and also includes players in Greater Cincinnati.

Connor Smith of Colerain, an Ohio State recruit, was named Offensive Lineman of the Year. One of the five nominees for that award was Andrew Damico of Simon Kenton.

The awards will be presented during the National Football Foundation banquet on Feb. 16 at the Cincinnati Netherland Hilton. The winner of the Brian Williams That's My Boy Award will also be announced at the banquet.

The three That's My Boy Award finalists are Damico, Lance Durbin of Conner and Marcus Davis of Boone County. They were selected based on a rating system that awards points for football participation, academic accomplishments and community involvement.
Smith is one heck of a football player (that definitely runs in his family).

I hope that he understands how much he has accomplished in his career . . . . .
KentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote:Smith is one heck of a football player (that definitely runs in his family).

I hope that he understands how much he has accomplished in his career . . . . .
He's a great kid too. I really think he does know Hillbilly. He said all year he just wanted to win state for his brothers who got so close, twice. He gets it.
Great accomplishment for Justin Smith. Even greater accomplishment winning the class A state championship. Where is he going to play college at?