Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Top Ten QB's of All-Time
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just got done watching some youtube videos of peoples opinions on the all-time best top ten QB's and I thought some of them was just down right stupid. It got me to thinking, so whats everyones opinion on who the Top-Ten Quarterbacks of All-Time.
What do you want to base this on? Stats? Championships? Leadership Ability? There is a top ten for many different categories and it's not easy to just say "the best is..." without giving credence to all the intangibles.

A list based on Throwing Stats would have guys like Favre, Moreno, Elway or Manning at the Top

Most exciting QBs would be guys like Vick, Cunningham or Tarkenton

A list based on Championships would have a guys like Brady, Bradshaw or Staubach at the top

A list on Leadership would have guys like Montana, Star, Roethlisberger at the top

What kid of list do you want? It would be difficult to say "Mix it all together" and have a defining list.
1 Favre
2 Elway
3 Marino
4 Montana
5 Brady
Last-Peyton Manning
1. Unitas
2. Montana
3. Favre
4. Marino
5. Bradshaw
6. Elway
7. Young
8. Staubach
9. Namath
10. P. Manning
Honorable Mention
Sammy Baugh
Otto Graham
Troy Aikman
Tom Brady
Ben Roethlisberger
Drew Brees
Kurt Warner
1. Montana
2. Unitas
3. Marino (Shoulda been a Steeler)
4. Brady
5. Bradshaw
6. Manning (Peyton)
7. Favre
8. Elway
9. Dan Fouts
10. Troy Aikman/Roger Staubach
1. Montana
2. Bradshaw
3. Brady (already? yep!)
4. Elway
5. Aikman
1. Ken Anderson
2. Boomer Esiasan
3. Carson Palmer
4. Jack Thompson
5. Akili Smith
6. Ben Roethlisberger

:biggrin:
TidesHoss32 Wrote:1. Montana
2. Unitas
3. Marino (Shoulda been a Steeler)4. Brady
5. Bradshaw
6. Manning (Peyton)
7. Favre
8. Elway
9. Dan Fouts

One of the few drafts where the Steelers blew it.
Unitas was cut by the Steelers during training camp.
1. Montana
2. Unitas
3. Bart Starr
4. Terry Bradshaw
5. Tom Brady
6. John Elway
7. Brett Favre
8. Troy Aikman
9. P. Manning
10. Sammy Baugh
Stardust Wrote:1. Ken Anderson
2. Boomer Esiasan
3. Carson Palmer
4. Jack Thompson
5. Akili Smith
6. Ben Roethlisberger

How could you not have David Klingler or Bubby Brister on your list?! Ken Anderson ranked above Akili Smith!!! What were you thinking?!?!?:biggrin:
Jarons Wrote:How could you not have David Klingler or Bubby Brister on your list?! Ken Anderson ranked above Akili Smith!!! What were you thinking?!?!?:biggrin:

This is about talent, not personal feelingsTongueirateSho

Stardust Wrote:What do you want to base this on? Stats? Championships? Leadership Ability? There is a top ten for many different categories and it's not easy to just say "the best is..." without giving credence to all the intangibles.

A list based on Throwing Stats would have guys like Favre, Moreno, Elway or Manning at the Top

Most exciting QBs would be guys like Vick, Cunningham or Tarkenton

A list based on Championships would have a guys like Brady, Bradshaw or Staubach at the top

A list on Leadership would have guys like Montana, Star, Roethlisberger at the top

What kid of list do you want? It would be difficult to say "Mix it all together" and have a defining list.

Well mixing it all together is how you will find the true top ten so yeah
1. Dan Marino (Done so much with little talent surrounding him)
2. Brett Farve
3. Joe Montana
4. John Elway
5. Peyton Manning
6. Bart Starr
7. Tom Brady
8. Terry Bradshaw
9. Johnny Unitas
10. Tarkenton

Honorable Mention
Troy Aikman
Roger Staubach
Namath
Steve Young
Ben Roethlisberger
TidesHoss32 Wrote:1. Montana
2. Unitas
3. Marino (Shoulda been a Steeler)
4. Brady
5. Bradshaw
6. Manning (Peyton)
7. Favre
8. Elway
9. Dan Fouts

Manning over Favre....
C'MON MAN!
Jarons Wrote:One of the few drafts where the Steelers blew it.
Unitas was cut by the Steelers during training camp.
Yeah they cut Unitas in '55 and Len Dawson in '57, and passed on Marino in '83...its amazing at whats slipped through the cracks..
zaga_fan Wrote:Manning over Favre....
C'MON MAN!
I love Brett Favre as much as anybody. But lets face the truth here; Nobody and I mean NOBODY has blown more important games with stupid decisions and wild, errant throws in the history of the game than Brett Favre. Again, he's a gamer, I love him, and when I think of modern day football, its hard not to think of Favre right off the bat, but in a big game, Ill take the conservative guy. Besides, nobody in the world is a more diehard Steelers fan than me, do you think I liked putting Brady in front of Bradshaw? I call 'em like I see 'em.
Stardust Wrote:1. Ken Anderson
2. Boomer Esiasan
3. Carson Palmer
4. Jack Thompson
5. Akili Smith
6. Ben Roethlisberger

No Jeff Blake or Bengal-era Neil O'Donnell? Big Grin
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I love Brett Favre as much as anybody. But lets face the truth here; Nobody and I mean NOBODY has blown more important games with stupid decisions and wild, errant throws in the history of the game than Brett Favre. Again, he's a gamer, I love him, and when I think of modern day football, its hard not to think of Favre right off the bat, but in a big game, Ill take the conservative guy. Besides, nobody in the world is a more diehard Steelers fan than me, do you think I liked putting Brady in front of Bradshaw? I call 'em like I see 'em.

but Hoss....
he played for Tennessee...

Tennessee....
lol
zaga_fan Wrote:but Hoss....
he played for Tennessee...

Tennessee....
lol
This is undoubtedly true. Can I redo my list? LOL..
TidesHoss32 Wrote:This is undoubtedly true. Can I redo my list? LOL..

Wink
TidesHoss32 Wrote:No Jeff Blake or Bengal-era Neil O'Donnell? Big Grin

I hadn't got to 9 and 10:biggrin:
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Yeah they cut Unitas in '55 and Len Dawson in '57, and passed on Marino in '83...its amazing at whats slipped through the cracks..

I forgot about Dawson in Pittsburgh
*DISCLAIMER* I am ONLY going with QB's since like 1970, because it is so hard to put guys in my list like Unitas that played an entirely different game. (Yes, I understand the game changes all the time but I believe that 40 years in plenty for a list of greatness Big Grin )

Top Tier
1. Joe Montana (4 Super Bowl's, 8 Pro Bowl's)
2. John Elway (2 Super Bowl wins, 9 Pro Bowl's AND the winningest QB when he retired)

Middle Tier
3. Peyton Manning (10 Pro Bowl's 1 Super Bowl win) *Another Super Bowl appearance or win, move him into my upper-echelon*
4. Steve Young (7 Pro Bowls, 3 Super Bowl wins)
5. Tom Brady (3 Super Bowl wins and 5 Pro Bowls)*More wins and more good play and he moves up higher*
6. Terry Bradshaw (3 Pro Bowl's and 4 Super Bowl wins)
7. Troy Aikman (6 Pro Bowl's 3 Super Bowl wins)

Lower Tier
(Players that would be higher if they won more)
8. Brett Favre (1 Super Bowl win, gobs of records)
9. Dan Marino (9 Pro Bowls)

Honorable Mention or Personal favorites:
Kenny Stabler
Ben Roethlisberger
Matt Schaub Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin lol