Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Cliff Lee to the Phillies.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After months of discussing the Rangers or Yankees for Lee he picks the Phillies in a crazy turn of events. This offseason just keeps getting better and better.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5917145
This is HUGE turn off events!
This is absolutely insane!! I can not think of a team having this kind of money. It is almost Yankees-eske. NL east does not stand a chance for how many years???? I just hope and pray that my Reds can continue to do damage in the central....Ugh.
Why???? That would be my last choice after they traded me. This sucks for the Reds!
Halladay. Lee. Oswalt. Hamels.
I think its safe to say the Phillies are trying to get back to the World Series, lol..
^ Trying REAL hard! That's a scary rotation!
Merry Cliffmas to Philadelphia.
This is just about the same as the Braves starting line-up of three hall of famers, and one who in his prime was just as good: Maddox, Smoltz, Glavine, Avery. For the most dominate pitching staff of my time, the Braves only won one world series, thus the Phillies are not guaranteed anything with this move.
Stardust Wrote:This is just about the same as the Braves starting line-up of three hall of famers, and one who in his prime was just as good: Maddox, Smoltz, Glavine, Avery. For the most dominate pitching staff of my time, the Braves only won one world series, thus the Phillies are not guaranteed anything with this move.

that was ashame they didnt win more..but your right it dont guarantee a thing.
He turned down 48 million more that the Yankees offered.
MisterPerfect Wrote:He turned down 48 million more that the Yankees offered.

He took the Phillies offer for one reason, and one reason only - CHOP!

CHOP - Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia

He has a son in remission for cancer. Children's Hospital in Philly is the Worlds Most renowned hospital for juvenile cancer treatment. He made this decision for all of the RIGHT decisions. Instead of taking the Money that he could have gotten, he did what was best for his family. You have to respect this more than any other reason.
I don't think anyone saw this coming.
The Yanks really took a kick in the teeth on this one.
Stardust Wrote:He took the Phillies offer for one reason, and one reason only - CHOP!

CHOP - Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia

He has a son in remission for cancer. Children's Hospital in Philly is the Worlds Most renowned hospital for juvenile cancer treatment. He made this decision for all of the RIGHT decisions. Instead of taking the Money that he could have gotten, he did what was best for his family. You have to respect this more than any other reason.

Didn't know this....He may have just became one of my favorite players
Jimmy Dugan Wrote:Didn't know this....He may have just became one of my favorite players

Ditto!

Very similar to Fischer and the Lakers. He took a cut in pay to go back to the Lakers, but LA is where his child was being treated for a dibilitating illness. The Lakers respected him so much for why he did it, they did reward him with a pretty nice increase a couple of years later.
This Braves fan feels better now. Not!! Like Philly needs another fantastic pitcher.
Love seeing a player pick a team over money