Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: West Virginia Football
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
At 9-3 I believe they should be playing in the National Football Bowl Game. They play in the toughest conference in the history of college football. Only losing to Connecticut and Syracuse. These two teams have been Title contender for years. Another L came form LSU. With this game being on the road it really was a win.

What do you all think?
10 turnovers cost us 3 games. After all, our coach is Gomer.
Put Kentucky in the Big East, and theyre still a mid pack team. Facts are facts, and the fact is that UK is a bottom tier, 2-6 every year SEC team that plays a cupcake non conference schedule to get their six wins and their Feds Creek Public Television bowl game. West Virginia has a MUCH better history, and has accomplished more than UK ever will in football, and before everybody goes all "yeah but we play in the SEC, we play in the SEC", remember this; UK hasnt been relevant in playing a role in challenging for an SEC championship in well over 30 years. What does UK own? They own the top two longest active losing streaks (by years) in ALL OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL to SEC teams (26 straight to Tennessee and 24 straight to Florida). It took UK 75 years to beat Alabama in 1997. You really wanted to start a thread comparing UK football to West Virginia football?
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Put Kentucky in the Big East, and theyre still a mid pack team. Facts are facts, and the fact is that UK is a bottom tier, 2-6 every year SEC team that plays a cupcake non conference schedule to get their six wins and their Feds Creek Public Television bowl game. West Virginia has a MUCH better history, and has accomplished more than UK ever will in football, and before everybody goes all "yeah but we play in the SEC, we play in the SEC", remember this; UK hasnt been relevant in playing a role in challenging for an SEC championship in well over 30 years. What does UK own? They own the top two longest active losing streaks (by years) in ALL OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL to SEC teams (26 straight to Tennessee and 24 straight to Florida). It took UK 75 years to beat Alabama in 1997. You really wanted to start a thread comparing UK football to West Virginia football?

I disagree.

Over the past 5 seasons I think UK would've competed for a Big East championship. I also think we would've won the conference in 2007 and possibly this season or last.

Kentucky isn't as bad as everyone thinks they are. No, we don't get top tier athletes from majority of the football states, but we've done a pretty darn good job at taking average recruits and winning some big games over the past several years. UK is a program on the rise and those who aren't UK fans can bash them all they'd like. UK's football history is well, history. We don't have much to brag about, but ever since Rich Brooks has taken over we've done some pretty great things. People can say that this team was without this or that in some of our wins, but it's been like that throughout college football history. So we've been beaten the #1's, Steve Spurrier's, Auburn's, and Georgia's of the world.

Kentucky is competitive in the conference now and and they're ending streaks every season. Take away a few mistakes and UK could easily be 5-3 in the conference and playing in the SEC championship against Auburn last week.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I disagree.

Over the past 5 seasons I think UK would've competed for a Big East championship. I also think we would've won the conference in 2007 and possibly this season or last.

Kentucky isn't as bad as everyone thinks they are. No, we don't get top tier athletes from majority of the football states, but we've done a pretty darn good job at taking average recruits and winning some big games over the past several years. UK is a program on the rise and those who aren't UK fans can bash them all they'd like. UK's football history is well, history. We don't have much to brag about, but ever since Rich Brooks has taken over we've done some pretty great things. People can say that this team was without this or that in some of our wins, but it's been like that throughout college football history. So we've been beaten the #1's, Steve Spurrier's, Auburn's, and Georgia's of the world.

Kentucky is competitive in the conference now and and they're ending streaks every season. Take away a few mistakes and UK could easily be 5-3 in the conference and playing in the SEC championship against Auburn last week.
Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.Benchwarmer is absolutely killing Dangerousdan, and I figured I'd point out the history. UK wont end either of those two losing streaks anytime soon. I dont know about challenging for a Big East title in 2007 either. UK barely beat the 6th place Big East team Louisville, and I dont see them beating 11-2 West Virginia that year, nor do I see them competing for a Big East conference title in 2008. I dont think they were as good as Cincy, Pitt, or West Virginia, and maybe even Rutgers that year. UK just wasnt that good, period, in 2009. As far as a program on the rise, that is strictly due to their cupcake non conference schedule every season. They are a still a bottom tier SEC program. They went to a bowl game last season finishing LAST in their division, and tied for the worst SEC record in the conference. Im not bashing UK at all, but Im pointing out to Benchwarmer that West Virginia has won a BCS game (over Georgia), and has spent a LOT of time in the top 10 over the last 7 or 8 years..
Benchwarmer Wrote:At 9-3 I believe they should be playing in the National Football Bowl Game. They play in the toughest conference in the history of college football. Only losing to Connecticut and Syracuse. These two teams have been Title contender for years. Another L came form LSU. With this game being on the road it really was a win.

What do you all think?

Hey Benchwarmer, let me know when UK plays in a BCS bowl. 60 years since your last Sugar Bowl appearence and 12 years since you last played on New Years Day. :dontthink
What's the point in having a losing season? That will not get UK's football program anywhere. Although I do agree the bowl system is watered down, but that's an entirely different discussion. Fact of the matter is, if Kentucky wants to dip their hand in some of the better recruits and build toward competing for an SEC championship, then taking 3 guaranteed wins is well worth the award. Yes, UK is in the bottom half of the SEC, but look at the teams in the top half (Florida, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Tennessee). WVU would also be in the bottom half of the SEC if they were in it, but they're not. They're in the weakest BCS conference in the country, so I don't envy any of their accomplishments.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:What's the point in having a losing season? That will not get UK's football program anywhere. Although I do agree the bowl system is watered down, but that's an entirely different discussion. Fact of the matter is, if Kentucky wants to dip their hand in some of the better recruits and build toward competing for an SEC championship, then taking 3 guaranteed wins is well worth the award. Yes, UK is in the bottom half of the SEC, but look at the teams in the top half (Florida, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Tennessee). WVU would also be in the bottom half of the SEC if they were in it, but they're not. They're in the weakest BCS conference in the country, so I don't envy any of their accomplishments.
Ill give you that the Big East was down this year, but for the most part, its been a rather strong conference over the last four or five years (except this season, and Ill agree with you, its been a joke)..Understand that I am NOT pounding on Kentucky football. I am NOT bashing them. And I hope they go to a bowl game every season. Speaking of bowls, I am in favor of the watered down bowl system. The more football, the better as far as I am concerned. Heck, Id even tune in and watch the Feds Creek Public Television Bowl, lol..But when someone starts a thread like this and bashes another school (with a BCS win over an SEC school, no less), then the fanbase needs to prepare for backlash. I agree that the Big East is nothing like the animal the SEC is, but I'll take West Virginia's last ten years over UK's any day of the week, and if these two teams went head to head over the last ten years, WVU wins 7 of them. However, I will say that a UK-WVU game every year would be peachy with me. I would love it..and I think it would be interesting to say the least. In my opinion, both teams are very close to each other right now. WVU was miles ahead of UK when Rich Rod was in Morgantown, but the gap has closed now with Stewart there..

BlackcatAlum
I agree with you. UK would be a powerhouse in the Big Least and would have competed for the conference championship the last few years. I remembers in 1993 WVU finished the regular season at 11-0. They rolled into the Sugar Bowl and got steamed rolled by Florida 41-7. After the game Florida players said WVU couldn't have even beat Vanderbilt that year.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Put Kentucky in the Big East, and theyre still a mid pack team. Facts are facts, and the fact is that UK is a bottom tier, 2-6 every year SEC team that plays a cupcake non conference schedule to get their six wins and their Feds Creek Public Television bowl game. West Virginia has a MUCH better history, and has accomplished more than UK ever will in football, and before everybody goes all "yeah but we play in the SEC, we play in the SEC", remember this; UK hasnt been relevant in playing a role in challenging for an SEC championship in well over 30 years. What does UK own? They own the top two longest active losing streaks (by years) in ALL OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL to SEC teams (26 straight to Tennessee and 24 straight to Florida). It took UK 75 years to beat Alabama in 1997. You really wanted to start a thread comparing UK football to West Virginia football?

Alabama's non-conference schedule.
San Jose State 1-12
Penn State 7-5
Duke 3-9
Georgia State first year program

Heck of a non-conference schedule.
What was the big news for the neers today???
Nope sure didn't. You just started the comparison.
Benchwarmer Wrote:Alabama's non-conference schedule.
San Jose State 1-12
Penn State 7-5
Duke 3-9
Georgia State first year program

Heck of a non-conference schedule.
Good point. However, we had a very down year in the SEC, finishing 5-3, which would have been the best conference record UK has had in 33 years. Anything else you wanna point out? Bama's making up for that non conference schedule by playing an 11-1 team. In a REAL New Years Bowl game, and not the BBWERIWEREVV Compass Bowl. And yeah, when you start a thread making fun of West Virginia football, and asking what we think, I flat out made it a point to point out that they were superior than UK in every aspect.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Good point. However, we had a very down year in the SEC, finishing 5-3, which would have been the best conference record UK has had in 33 years. Anything else you wanna point out? Bama's making up for that non conference schedule by playing an 11-1 team. In a REAL New Years Bowl game, and not the BBWERIWEREVV Compass Bowl. And yeah, when you start a thread making fun of West Virginia football, and asking what we think, I flat out made it a point to point out that they were superior than UK in every aspect.

Yep. You done a fine job back in 9-01-10 on you predictions.:Thumbs:
EAST-
Florida (7-1, 12-2)
Georgia (5-3, 9-4)
South Carolina (5-3, 8-5)
Tennessee (3-5, 7-6)
UK (1-7, 5-7)
Vandy (0-8, 2-10)

WEST-
The National Champion Alabama Crimson Tide (8-0, 14-0)
What happened.
LSU (6-2, 10-3)
Ole Miss (5-3, 9-4)
Arkansas (4-4, 8-5)
Auburn (3-5, 7-6)
Miss. State (3-5, 6-7)

Sorry Cat fans, UK and Vandy are the only teams that wont go bowling this year..
Done a great job on this one.
Benchwarmer Wrote:Yep. You done a fine job back in 9-01-10 on you predictions.:Thumbs:
EAST-
Florida (7-1, 12-2)
Georgia (5-3, 9-4)
Tennessee (3-5, 7-6)
UK (1-7, 5-7)
Vandy (0-8, 2-10)

WEST-
The National Champion Alabama Crimson Tide (8-0, 14-0)
LSU (6-2, 10-3)
Ole Miss (5-3, 9-4)
Arkansas (4-4, 8-5)
Auburn (3-5, 7-6)
Miss. State (3-5, 6-7)

Sorry Cat fans, UK and Vandy are the only teams that wont go bowling this year..
Yeah, thats a great job..Im sure I wasnt that far off from everybody else in America either. Although I was closer to UK at 5-7 than most of you were at picking them 11-1 or playing for a national championship. I was one game off from UK, a conference game, no less. Funny how no matter how off I am from all of the other teams, UK always seems to end up right at the bottom, doesnt it? I had UK picked 11th in the conference. They finished 10th.
Benchwarmer Wrote:Yep. You done a fine job back in 9-01-10 on you predictions.:Thumbs:
EAST-
Florida (7-1, 12-2)
Georgia (5-3, 9-4)
Tennessee (3-5, 7-6)
UK (1-7, 5-7)
Vandy (0-8, 2-10)

WEST-
The National Champion Alabama Crimson Tide (8-0, 14-0) What happened.
LSU (6-2, 10-3)
Ole Miss (5-3, 9-4)
Arkansas (4-4, 8-5)
Auburn (3-5, 7-6)
Miss. State (3-5, 6-7)

Well, we cant get them all right, now can we? I'll give you credit that Bama had a down year (by Bama fans' standards), but UK fans would hold a month long party if they won 5 conference games, and 9 regular season games. I guess you are thanking the bowl Gods for the two extra bowls this year, because we all know that if this was last season, UK sits at home.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Yeah, thats a great job..Im sure I wasnt that far off from everybody else in America either. Although I was closer to UK at 5-7 than most of you were at picking them 11-1 or playing for a national championship. I was one game off from UK, a conference game, no less. Funny how no matter how off I am from all of the other teams, UK always seems to end up right at the bottom, doesnt it? I had UK picked 11th in the conference. They finished 10th.

I figured a 7-5 record or 6-6. Define most of you.
Benchwarmer Wrote:I figured a 7-5 record or 6-6. Define most of you.
Anybody that picks UK higher than 4th in the East. Another thing, go look at that thread you just posted. Now, EVERYBODY that posted picked Bama to win the West. So, I guess I wasnt the only one picking Bama..ya know..seeing as how EVERYBODY else did too..
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:What was the big news for the neers today???

Gomer is gonzo after next season. Dana Hoglonsen, the OC from Oklahoma State will be OC at WVU next year and be Head Coach in 2012.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Well, we cant get them all right, now can we? I'll give you credit that Bama had a down year (by Bama fans' standards), but UK fans would hold a month long party if they won 5 conference games, and 9 regular season games. I guess you are thanking the bowl Gods for the two extra bowls this year, because we all know that if this was last season, UK sits at home.

He can see the past and the future.:notworthy
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Well, we cant get them all right, now can we? I'll give you credit that Bama had a down year (by Bama fans' standards), but UK fans would hold a month long party if they won 5 conference games, and 9 regular season games. I guess you are thanking the bowl Gods for the two extra bowls this year, because we all know that if this was last season, UK sits at home.

I know great job. Alabama did win the biggest choke job of the year award with the Auburn game. And, by the way do we need to mention South Carolina.
Benchwarmer Wrote:I know great job. Alabama did win the biggest choke job of the year award with the Auburn game. And, by the way do we need to mention South Carolina.
Blah blah blah. You all beat Spurrier once in forever, and I get to hear it for the rest of my life. I tell you what, you all either win a national championship, an SEC championship, or ****, break .500 in the league, OR beat Tennessee or Florida anytime within the next 50 years, and we'll talk big boy football. Choke? Yeah Bama choked. Whats UK's excuse for the last 70 years? I mean ****, Bama beat you all 30 straight times over SEVENTY FIVE years. Not to mention fifteen shutouts. And all anybody wants to talk about is the one fluke overtime win in '97, lol..But choking? I could talk about the Florida Doering game in '93. The 20 straight Tennessee games where UK blows a 4th quarter lead and loses. I tell you what, you dont even have to break .500 in the league. Whenever you all play in a relevant bowl, get back at me. Until then, you have nothing. Your arguments and posts are weak.
^Hey now, UK won the national title in 1950 under Bear Bryant! Smile
Aslan Wrote:^Hey now, UK won the national title in 1950 under Bear Bryant! Smile
Nope. Sorry bro..UK beat the national champions that year, though. Oklahoma gets credited with being national champions, even though they lost their bowl game to Kentucky. Until I believe it was 1973, the national champions were crowned BEFORE the bowl games.
^Close enough right? Big Grin
Aslan Wrote:^Close enough right? Big Grin
I woulda gave it to UK though Big Grin Truthfully though, back then the pollsters hated teams from the south. It was all Notre Dame, Army, and the midwest teams..UK went 10-1 that year, beat Oklahoma and finished 7th in the polls, lol..Tennessee beat them 7-0 that year, and ended up winning it all the next season..
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I woulda gave it to UK though Big Grin Truthfully though, back then the pollsters hated teams from the south. It was all Notre Dame, Army, and the midwest teams..UK went 10-1 that year, beat Oklahoma and finished 7th in the polls, lol..Tennessee beat them 7-0 that year, and ended up winning it all the next season..

Now if you want to go back and do just one team for the disputed years you have to take a number of titles away from so many teams who actually do claim one (not for sure if Alabama- I think like maybe 4). But it does not really matter, it was sort of a broken system back then. To have 4 or even 5 teams that can claim. Either way you go, Alabama is the best tradition whether they claim the disputed ones or not.
Aslan Wrote:^Hey now, UK won the national title in 1950 under Bear Bryant! Smile

Leave it alone. Tidehoss32 said Nevada should be playing in the National Championship game and then he will bore you to death that every team with at least a 9-3 record (like Alabama) should get a shot at playing for a National Championship.
Benchwarmer Wrote:Leave it alone. Tidehoss32 said Nevada should be playing in the National Championship game and then he will bore you to death that every team with at least a 9-3 record (like Alabama) should get a shot at playing for a National Championship.
Nope. I bore people to death with posts that make sense. Bama is in a good bowl for a 9-3 team (which, those are two things you'll never be able so say about your team) You just bore people.

Completely disagree. Competitive is not going 3-5 or worse every year. Only reason UK makes bowl games is because of the pathetic non conference schedule.
Pages: 1 2