Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Two 16th Region Shockers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Fleming 59 East Carter 54
Russell 56 West Carter 55
the four top favorites (East, West, Boyd, Rowan) all defeated in the first week. Could be a wild ride this season. Impressive wins by Fleming and Ashland.
Especially considering the fact that West just beat Rowan and then loses 2 in a row to Fleming and Russell (who just got beat by Eastt Carter by about 40 points). Its definitely a crazy region this year - many teams will be in the mix come March.

How do these "upsets" affect everyones early season rankings? I'll give you my top 5.

1) Fleming - hard not to put them here. Undefeated in region with big wins over West and East. Not a big team but good ballhandlers and scrappy. Good year for them to make a run in the region with few really true centers in the 16th that could give them size problems.

2) Ashland - Young team that will probably drop a few games in region due to inexperience but already has a big win against a pre-season favorite Boyd County. Kittens do have a road loss to a very good South Point team. Ashland's defensive pressure will give many teams fits.

3) Rowan could very easily put at #2. Probably the most well-rounded team when looking at position players. Not quite sure their defense is quite as good as the past few years, but they are one of the few teams that have both good guards and good height in the post.

4) East Carter - Another team that seems to be depending on pressure defense to get wins this season. A good mix of veterans and young players. The solid play of freshman Greenhill is good addition to their more experienced players.

5) Boyd County - A dangerous team with experience and size. Going big does slow Boyd down some on defense. I still think the key for Boyd is consistant outside shooting and solid ballhandling at the guard position.

Well, there it is. Of course, by this time next week I may have a totally different ranking
Skip Pass Wrote:Especially considering the fact that West just beat Rowan and then loses 2 in a row to Fleming and Russell (who just got beat by Eastt Carter by about 40 points). Its definitely a crazy region this year - many teams will be in the mix come March.

How do these "upsets" affect everyones early season rankings? I'll give you my top 5.

1) Fleming - hard not to put them here. Undefeated in region with big wins over West and East. Not a big team but good ballhandlers and scrappy. Good year for them to make a run in the region with few really true centers in the 16th that could give them size problems.

2) Ashland - Young team that will probably drop a few games in region due to inexperience but already has a big win against a pre-season favorite Boyd County. Kittens do have a road loss to a very good South Point team. Ashland's defensive pressure will give many teams fits.

3) Rowan could very easily put at #2. Probably the most well-rounded team when looking at position players. Not quite sure their defense is quite as good as the past few years, but they are one of the few teams that have both good guards and good height in the post.

4) East Carter - Another team that seems to be depending on pressure defense to get wins this season. A good mix of veterans and young players. The solid play of freshman Greenhill is good addition to their more experienced players.

5) Boyd County - A dangerous team with experience and size. Going big does slow Boyd down some on defense. I still think the key for Boyd is consistant outside shooting and solid ballhandling at the guard position.

Well, there it is. Of course, by this time next week I may have a totally different ranking

I definately think those are the top 5 at this point with West Carter being maybe a tie for fifth. My top 5 would be:

1. Ashland
2. Fleming
3. Rowan
4. Boyd
5. East or West Carter

And I agree with your comments about each team.