Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: NBAPA pushes to end age limit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
NBAPA wants to restrict the age limit.
Making it possible for HS players to jump to the NBA again.
It would be ironic if they got locked out over this Wink

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story...NHeadlines
I am totally against this, always have been. Only a special few are ready for the NBA at that age. I think the NBA and NCAA ought to extend the current rule to where kids will have to go to college at least two yeras or sit out two years. It would be better for the game in both leagues.
^ Not only would that be better for the league and NCAA but it would almost force all of these kids to get some type of degree while in college. So it would really be in the best interest for everyone involved if they stayed for 2 years.:rockon::Thumbs:
If you are a college sports fan, then I can see why you would be for this. But who's right is it to determine what is the consensual age. The only reason there is an age limit today is due to the fact that greedy parents and agents are lying to kids today about their worth, but the NBA has proven that players can make pros at the age of 18, we have too many in the NBA today to dispute that.

This is the John Wall or Enes Kanter rule change!

Why should there be an age limit? There should be better prospecting and a process that tells potential draftees of their legitimate chances, but no age limit. It works in other sports like Hockey, Tennis, Golf, and Baseball. Look at the Olympics. No matter how you cut it, these athletes are professional if they are competing in the Olympics. The time, the commitment and the amount of money they can earn for training purposes for sports like swimming, skating, gymnastics, etc. makes these athletes every bit as much of a professional than those who compete as legit professionals. These kids don't go to school, they live on the road in training facilities in places like Denver and Indianapolis. Yet, no one complains when they see 15 year old on a balance beam.

Nah, if professional sports polices the process better, there should be no age limit in anything in life. No matter what your profession is, whether it's a Systems Programmer, a Volunteer Firefighter, or an NBA Basketball player, no age descrimination!
Not only would this be a bad idea in my eyes, but man would that not hurt the recruiting for Coach Cal.
This is my opinion.
No one gets into the NBA without a college degree.
zaga_fan Wrote:This is my opinion.
No one gets into the NBA without a college degree.

Go ahead and take L.A.s championship away then.
^He never stops....
Well it's true, sorry.

Kobe came straight outta high school bud.
I say do it like baseball. You can come straight out of high school, but if you don't, you must stay in college 3 years.
Panther Thunder Wrote:I say do it like baseball. You can come straight out of high school, but if you don't, you must stay in college 3 years.

I can agree with that :Thumbs:
Ballers Wrote:Well it's true, sorry.

JSYK Kobe has a Masters degree in English.
Aslan Wrote:JSYK Kobe has a Masters degree in English.

The thread is referring to players coming straight out of highschool Aslan.
Stardust Wrote:If you are a college sports fan, then I can see why you would be for this. But who's right is it to determine what is the consensual age. The only reason there is an age limit today is due to the fact that greedy parents and agents are lying to kids today about their worth, but the NBA has proven that players can make pros at the age of 18, we have too many in the NBA today to dispute that.

This is the John Wall or Enes Kanter rule change!

Why should there be an age limit? There should be better prospecting and a process that tells potential draftees of their legitimate chances, but no age limit. It works in other sports like Hockey, Tennis, Golf, and Baseball. Look at the Olympics. No matter how you cut it, these athletes are professional if they are competing in the Olympics. The time, the commitment and the amount of money they can earn for training purposes for sports like swimming, skating, gymnastics, etc. makes these athletes every bit as much of a professional than those who compete as legit professionals. These kids don't go to school, they live on the road in training facilities in places like Denver and Indianapolis. Yet, no one complains when they see 15 year old on a balance beam.

Nah, if professional sports polices the process better, there should be no age limit in anything in life. No matter what your profession is, whether it's a Systems Programmer, a Volunteer Firefighter, or an NBA Basketball player, no age descrimination!

I agree 100%.
Many players are ready to make the jump straight out of high school.
Kevin Durrant for instance. There's no reason he should have been in college. He was a man among boys. He could have got injured in college and that would have cost him millions.
It should be strictly the players choice on whether or not to forgo college.
Ballers Wrote:The thread is referring to players coming straight out of highschool Aslan.

Kobe came straight out of high school, so its perfectly in the theme of the thread Ballers.
Ballers Wrote:Well it's true, sorry.

Yeah he did....
and he won 5 championships with more on the way.

The fact that they put an age limit on it after he had already won 3 doesn't change anything.
Aslan Wrote:I agree 100%.
Many players are ready to make the jump straight out of high school.
Kevin Durrant for instance. There's no reason he should have been in college. He was a man among boys. He could have got injured in college and that would have cost him millions.
It should be strictly the players choice on whether or not to forgo college.

Great call on that, I forgot all about him :Thumbs:
zaga_fan Wrote:Yeah he did....
and he won 5 championships with more on the way.

The fact that they put an age limit on it after he had already won 3 doesn't change anything.

But I would propose that if this passes, they should retroactively go back and disqualify Kobe and take away all 5 of the Lakers titles :biggrin:
Ballers Wrote:The thread is referring to players coming straight out of highschool Aslan.

You attempted to bust my chops because I said you had to have a degree to go to the NBA.
He was just saying Kobe has a degree.
I agree that there should not be an age limit. Let them go straight out of high school. BUT, if they go to college then they should have to stay 2, maybe 3 years. This one and done crap is not fair to the colleges, the sport, or the fans.
MSU Eagle Wrote:I agree that there should not be an age limit. Let them go straight out of high school. BUT, if they go to college then they should have to stay 2, maybe 3 years. This one and done crap is not fair to the colleges, the sport, or the fans.
I kinda agree with that.
How horrible it was to have John Wall, Cousins, Bledso, and Orton. That stupid one year of college caused you to pick UK and give the Big Blue Nation a great year of basketball. It was so bad to have these guys around for one year.
Benchwarmer Wrote:How horrible it was to have John Wall, Cousins, Bledso, and Orton. That stupid one year of college caused you to pick UK and give the Big Blue Nation a great year of basketball. It was so bad to have these guys around for one year.

There was nothing wrong with having those guys here, and it was a GREAT year because they were here. But, the fact that they had NO OPTION but to play a year of college basketball should not have been a requirement due to age. Maybe all five would have been here even if there was no age restriction, but the argument that his been made by most so far is that there should be no mandated age requirement for an adult (18 and over) in any profession, whether it is Professional Basketball or the Sanitation Department.

Fair?
Stardust Wrote:There was nothing wrong with having those guys here, and it was a GREAT year because they were here. But, the fact that they had NO OPTION but to play a year of college basketball should not have been a requirement due to age. Maybe all five would have been here even if there was no age restriction, but the argument that his been made by most so far is that there should be no mandated age requirement for an adult (18 and over) in any profession, whether it is Professional Basketball or the Sanitation Department.

Fair?

He was being sarcastic SD. lol...
Ballers Wrote:He was being sarcastic SD. lol...

I'm confident SD knew of the sarcasm....
Stardust Wrote:There was nothing wrong with having those guys here, and it was a GREAT year because they were here. But, the fact that they had NO OPTION but to play a year of college basketball should not have been a requirement due to age. Maybe all five would have been here even if there was no age restriction, but the argument that his been made by most so far is that there should be no mandated age requirement for an adult (18 and over) in any profession, whether it is Professional Basketball or the Sanitation Department.

Fair?

I understand were you are coming from. But, I like the way it is. I can see both sides of this discussion.
Ballers Wrote:He was being sarcastic SD. lol...

Yes I was being sarcastic. LOL
zaga_fan Wrote:I'm confident SD knew of the sarcasm....

I'm not.
Ballers Wrote:I'm not.

I didn't figure you thought so.
I'm also confident you're wrong.
zaga_fan Wrote:I'm confident SD knew of the sarcasm....

nah. LOL
Pages: 1 2