Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Clay County 49 Corbin 42 OT
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Clay picks up the OT win tonight at Corbin. I must say, from my point of view, CC did not live up to the hype. I was expecting a larger margin of victory against Corbin. Thoughts?
This kind of surprises me. Corbin is way down this year, i was expecting a much bigger win from Clay.
Did Clay not look at impressive at all or did playing at Corbin have anything to do with it.
Corbin got all the breaks in this one. Two cheap fouls on Hooker early put Clay in a bind. Then Mitchell followed him with foul trouble. Let's be honest, any win at Corbin is a great win. I was impressed with Corbin. They are a scrappy group, and could be a problem late in the year. Hooker hasn't played basketball in two years so he's extremely rusty and Clay is still without a major contributor in Kody Reed. I was impressed with the Tigers relentlessness, they could have easily gave up when they were down by 3 with 50 seconds to go. With all that being said Clay is in a very good position for the rest of the year. They need to have better flow offensively, but they will get there. The main question is why were those 3 officials on that game? This is Clay-Corbin. The two biggest name programs in the region. They should have got high level officials, not 3 bottom guys. 2 of the officials refused to get up and down the court. I understand that it is difficult to keep up with those kids, but atleast attempt to. Those kids are busting their tails so you should bust yours too to give them a fair shake.
Hit and Run Wrote:Corbin got all the breaks in this one. Two cheap fouls on Hooker early put Clay in a bind. Then Mitchell followed him with foul trouble. Let's be honest, any win at Corbin is a great win. I was impressed with Corbin. They are a scrappy group, and could be a problem late in the year. Hooker hasn't played basketball in two years so he's extremely rusty and Clay is still without a major contributor in Kody Reed. I was impressed with the Tigers relentlessness, they could have easily gave up when they were down by 3 with 50 seconds to go. With all that being said Clay is in a very good position for the rest of the year. They need to have better flow offensively, but they will get there. The main question is why were those 3 officials on that game? This is Clay-Corbin. The two biggest name programs in the region. They should have got high level officials, not 3 bottom guys. 2 of the officials refused to get up and down the court. I understand that it is difficult to keep up with those kids, but atleast attempt to. Those kids are busting their tails so you should bust yours too to give them a fair shake.

Your exactly right and Hooker will need time to get back in bball shape after missing last year.Plus Clay held corbin to 42 points at Corbin. You can expect corbin to usually get atleast half of that on free throws alone at Corbin.

Congrats Clay on a early solid win.
Yeah I was somewhat dissapointed with the performance then I realized that was the first time Clay has defeated Corbin since '06. Those kids on the floor had never beat Corbin, so it's big to get the first one. Corbin is a hard place to play, but they did what champions do: overcome adversity and get the W.
Low scoring. Would have thought Clay would have beaten them worse. Didnt Corbin lose most of last years team?
Quarterback7 Wrote:Low scoring. Would have thought Clay would have beaten them worse. Didnt Corbin lose most of last years team?

Yeah, generally all of there big time scorers. I believe they returned Smith, Freeman, Taylor. they lost johnson, manns, and the other smith.
Close game. Congrats Clay.
Congrats Clay Co.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Yeah, generally all of there big time scorers. I believe they returned Smith, Freeman, Taylor. they lost johnson, manns, and the other smith.

And region POY Wilson.
What was Hooker's stat line?
Hit and Run Wrote:Corbin got all the breaks in this one. Two cheap fouls on Hooker early put Clay in a bind. Then Mitchell followed him with foul trouble. Let's be honest, any win at Corbin is a great win. I was impressed with Corbin. They are a scrappy group, and could be a problem late in the year. Hooker hasn't played basketball in two years so he's extremely rusty and Clay is still without a major contributor in Kody Reed. I was impressed with the Tigers relentlessness, they could have easily gave up when they were down by 3 with 50 seconds to go. With all that being said Clay is in a very good position for the rest of the year. They need to have better flow offensively, but they will get there. The main question is why were those 3 officials on that game? This is Clay-Corbin. The two biggest name programs in the region. They should have got high level officials, not 3 bottom guys. 2 of the officials refused to get up and down the court. I understand that it is difficult to keep up with those kids, but atleast attempt to. Those kids are busting their tails so you should bust yours too to give them a fair shake.

I kind of thought the game was called a little to Clay Co's benefit. The officials let the game get very physical, and believe me that was not very beneficial to Corbin's cause as they really only have one player that can play physical at all, but do play scrappy as someone said. The officiating was kind of odd at times, seems like they would call Corbin's way a little while, then when Marcum would get on them, they would start calling Clay's way, then back and forth.

Clay's biggest problem seems to be most of the players, with the exception of Hooker, seem to want to shoot it every time they get it. You can't blame the big kid inside though, because the only time he got the ball was when he rebounded it. Clay did not take advantage of being stronger inside until late in the game when they started taking it to the hoop, and instead seemed to settle on shooting contested jumpshots.
I agree. Marcum has got the two best slashers in the region in Mitchell and Hooker. He has to spread the floor and let them get to the rim. The calls on Mitchell and Hooker cheap in the first quarter, and put clay at a huge disadvantage throughout the first half. They played without 2 of the top 3 players in the region. They were very inconsistent with their traveling calls. They got England with two that were probably walks, but Freeman does the identical thing on the other end and they let it go by. I thought Jones threw some cheap shots early in the game that led to the altercation in the first half. Whitaker and Gay were out of line last night, but a kid can only take so many cheap shots. All in all it was a good win for a good Clay team. They played even in the first half with a make shift line up out there, and when it was on the line late in the game Mitchell and Hooker took over. Like I said earlier any win at Corbin is a great win!
Congrats Clay, I still think Clay is the best in the 13th and one of the top teams in the Mt.
After hearing the score I was disapointed in clay. Now i know the 13th is wide open for the taking. Watch out for Bell,Knox, and Whitley to make some noise
the light wizard Wrote:After hearing the score I was disapointed in clay. Now i know the 13th is wide open for the taking. Watch out for Bell,Knox, and Whitley to make some noise
Next Tuesday is huge for Clay. If they win on the road in the same week at Knox and at Corbin then they have proven theirselves, and it would be a great start to the year.
Hit and Run Wrote:I agree. Marcum has got the two best slashers in the region in Mitchell and Hooker. He has to spread the floor and let them get to the rim. The calls on Mitchell and Hooker cheap in the first quarter, and put clay at a huge disadvantage throughout the first half. They played without 2 of the top 3 players in the region. They were very inconsistent with their traveling calls. They got England with two that were probably walks, but Freeman does the identical thing on the other end and they let it go by. I thought Jones threw some cheap shots early in the game that led to the altercation in the first half. Whitaker and Gay were out of line last night, but a kid can only take so many cheap shots. All in all it was a good win for a good Clay team. They played even in the first half with a make shift line up out there, and when it was on the line late in the game Mitchell and Hooker took over. Like I said earlier any win at Corbin is a great win!

Taylor Jones with a cheap shot? He does irritate defensively because he is always right there in his man's face and will foul a little much, but I can't see Taylor starting anything. You are talking about Taylor Jones, all of 5'7' and maybe 120 lbs.

I agree with the traveling, most refs seem to anticipate it and are not even watching their feet. If Clay will play like they did late in the game and keep the ball in the hands of the 2 you mentioned, they should be the region favorite. It was a little too rough last night, talked to a couple of Corbin players today who said they felt as though they had been in a 15 round boxing match and got the worse of it, though I didn't really see too much out of line on either side, but both were kind of pushing the envelope because the refs let them.
The two trips prior to the loose ball were Whitaker pused Jones down. Jones was jersey grabbing and pushing way off of the ball. It was a hard fought game by two good teams. Corbin is a big man away from being a contender. They don't have anybody to defend the paint off the drive like they have in year's past.
SEKYFAN Wrote:Taylor Jones with a cheap shot? He does irritate defensively because he is always right there in his man's face and will foul a little much, but I can't see Taylor starting anything. You are talking about Taylor Jones, all of 5'7' and maybe 120 lbs.

I agree with the traveling, most refs seem to anticipate it and are not even watching their feet. If Clay will play like they did late in the game and keep the ball in the hands of the 2 you mentioned, they should be the region favorite. It was a little too rough last night, talked to a couple of Corbin players today who said they felt as though they had been in a 15 round boxing match and got the worse of it, though I didn't really see too much out of line on either side, but both were kind of pushing the envelope because the refs let them.

I agree with H&R on this one. I saw Jones do his fare share last night. No longer quoting you from here on with this post, but... As previously stated by someone, Clay did rely to much on the jump shot last night (Primarily Roberts). With the matchup Clay had inside, Gay couldve had 30 if they woulve fed him.
the dark wizard Wrote:I agree with H&R on this one. I saw Jones do his fare share last night. No longer quoting you from here on with this post, but... As previously stated by someone, Clay did rely to much on the jump shot last night (Primarily Roberts). With the matchup Clay had inside, Gay couldve had 30 if they woulve fed him.
I agree. Clay's best chance at success is with a slashing attack, and then let the slashers kick out to the open shooters in Whitaker and Roberts.
Hit and Run Wrote:I agree. Clay's best chance at success is with a slashing attack, and then let the slashers kick out to the open shooters in Whitaker and Roberts.

When Clay decides to play that way, and also feed the guy in the post a little, they will be the team to beat in the region.
SEKYFAN Wrote:When Clay decides to play that way, and also feed the guy in the post a little, they will be the team to beat in the region.
I agree. Roberts and Whitaker can flat out shoot it, but they need to make sure their shots are good looks, not some of the stuff they threw up last night. They also had to play the whole 2nd quarter without Mitchell and Hooker so those 2 had to kinda look to score more. I'm just not a fan of the stack because it puts Mitchell in the post. Mitchell needs it on the floor with a chance to slash. Kind of like the pick and roll they ran in OT.
Hit and Run Wrote:The two trips prior to the loose ball were Whitaker pused Jones down. Jones was jersey grabbing and pushing way off of the ball. It was a hard fought game by two good teams. Corbin is a big man away from being a contender. They don't have anybody to defend the paint off the drive like they have in year's past.

Jones does do some jersey grabbing and some hacking, no doubt about that. If Igo could practice or play against Clay's inside players for a while, they just might toughen him up to be a force in the paint, he just doesn't have anyone much to go against in practice at this time. He is going to be a very good player though for Corbin over the next three years.
With this whole region down from past year with Johnson, Miller, and St.John gone, there's no clear favorite, but right now Clay looks strong enough to do it. Can't say Iv seen south this year, what are they like.
Congrats CC
TheFireWizard Wrote:With this whole region down from past year with Johnson, Miller, and St.John gone, there's no clear favorite, but right now Clay looks strong enough to do it. Can't say Iv seen south this year, what are they like.

I havent seen them this year either, but I do know that they are not the SL that you are used to seeing.