Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Tora! Tora! Tora!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
December 7, 1941. "A date which will live in infamy".

Has everyone forgotten what today is?

Bob Seger Wrote:December 7, 1941. "A date which will live in infamy".

Has everyone forgotten what today is?

Sadly enough most have forgotten.

I remember my dad talking to me about fighting in WWII from time to time.
No but I was way too busy watching the History channel all day to post anything on here, lol..I posted on Facebook, and had a hundred different discussions (I can talk about military history with anybody and have a ball)..but I always love watching the stuff on History about it..
I definitely have not forgotten this date.
I Watched a lot about kamikaze pilots last night.
It amazes me how someone could send a handful of men on a suicide mission.

I don't spend a lot of time in the political forums to keep myself from getting into the arguments I know I'd get into Wink
My great uncle was a gunner on a naval ship somewhere during that war. We have a picture of him and all the other guys on the ship. It has 21 gold stars on the picture, signifying his shooting down of 21 Japanese planes. Way to go Uncle Buck. His brother George, which we just lost this year, was among the ones that stormed the beaches at Normandy. He was captured by the Germans and spent 11 months in a German prison camp. Our two family heros of WWII.
TheRealVille Wrote:My great uncle was a gunner on a naval ship somewhere during that war. We have a picture of him and all the other guys on the ship. It has 21 gold stars on the picture, signifying his shooting down of 21 Japanese planes. Way to go Uncle Buck. His brother George, which we just lost this year, was among the ones that stormed the beaches at Normandy. He was captured by the Germans and spent 11 months in a German prison camp. Our two family heros of WWII.

In every sense of the word.:Thumbs:
Bob Seger Wrote:In every sense of the word.:Thumbs:
You've got a smartazz remark for everything, don't you? You must not have very many friends, if you smartmouth everybody that doesn't have your political and life views.
TheRealVille Wrote:You've got a smartazz remark for everything, don't you? You must not have very many friends, if you smartmouth everybody that doesn't have your political and life views.
Maybe I jumped the gun, I hope so. At first I thought it was a play on words, but after looking, I hope it was me that read it wrong and you were sincere. If the latter, I truly apologize. On first read, it just looked like you were downing me on my beliefs on politics and life, with the "every sense of the word" thing.

I'm not a conservative, never was, never will be. I would hope that wouldn't stop us from being friends, or at least civil.
TheRealVille Wrote:Maybe I jumped the gun, I hope so. At first I thought it was a play on words, but after looking, I hope it was me that read it wrong and you were sincere. If the latter, I truly apologize. On first read, it just looked like you were downing me on my beliefs on politics and life, with the "every sense of the word" thing.

I'm not a conservative, never was, never will be. I would hope that wouldn't stop us from being friends, or at least civil.

Wow!!! That's all I can say. You sure did jump the gun. I was only paying homage to those two truely genuine American heros. I'm sure you are proud of them, and I in turn are very thankful for both of them. That is all I was doing.

I was simply saying that they are both "heros" in every sense of the word.

I'm still trying to figure out how you could have taken it any other way.
Bob Seger Wrote:Wow!!! That's all I can say. You sure did jump the gun. I was only paying homage to those two truely genuine American heros. I'm sure you are proud of them, and I in turn are very thankful for both of them. That is all I was doing.

I was simply saying that they are both "heros" in every sense of the word.

I'm still trying to figure out how you could have taken it any other way.
Yea I know. I saw that I jumped the gun after I posted it. I thought you were making a play on me saying "two heroes in every sense of the word" in my family. Like the rest were liberal idiots. My bad, I truly apologize. My idiot kicked in there for a minute. I take stuff wrong sometimes, but am big enough to admit being an idiot when I do. Again, my apologies.
TheRealVille Wrote:Yea I know. I saw that I jumped the gun after I posted it. I thought you were making a play on me saying "two heroes in every sense of the word" in my family. Like the rest were liberal idiots. My bad, I truly apologize. My idiot kicked in there for a minute.

Dont worry about it . All is good.:Thumbs:

If there are any moderators looking or if QQ reads this, this is exactly the reason why there needs to be a longer alotted time to edit your posts.
Bob Seger Wrote:Dont worry about it . All is good.:Thumbs:

If there are any moderators looking or if QQ reads this, this is exactly the reason why there needs to be a longer alotted time to edit your posts.
:notworthy Really, not a liberal in every sense of the word, mainly just in the pretense of "live and let live". I don't force my views on anyone, I hope that everybody just votes their conscience, without pressure from anyone else. That's really the only thing that makes me middle/left. I just have a bad habit of pushing back when I think someone is trying to force things on me.
My grandfather (on my mothers side) and 1 great uncle (on my fathers side) were both at Normandy, and I had another great uncle (on my moms side) in the Pacific Theater..I never got to know them, as my grandfather and great uncle on my moms side died before I was born, and my other great uncle died when I was 5 but he lived in Michigan so I never really knew him. However, there is NOTHING that I'd rather do than listen to old vets talk about old war stories. They truly were our Greatest Generation. Its sad that the WWII vets are dying at such an alarming rate (over 1000 per day)..I also think its great that we have so many servicemen on this site, as well as families of servicemen. I'd love for somebody to start a thread on war stories..
I absolutely love history, military, political, all of it.
:USAFlag:Confusedalute:
My grandfather stormed the beaches of Normandy as well. He was a great man. May he RIP.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:My grandfather (on my mothers side) and 1 great uncle (on my fathers side) were both at Normandy, and I had another great uncle (on my moms side) in the Pacific Theater..I never got to know them, as my grandfather and great uncle on my moms side died before I was born, and my other great uncle died when I was 5 but he lived in Michigan so I never really knew him. However, there is NOTHING that I'd rather do than listen to old vets talk about old war stories. They truly were our Greatest Generation. Its sad that the WWII vets are dying at such an alarming rate (over 1000 per day)..I also think its great that we have so many servicemen on this site, as well as families of servicemen. I'd love for somebody to start a thread on war stories..

There is a Vietnam Vet that eats at DQ every morning, When i work i he always tells me stories of the war. People get real angry because im trying to listen and they have to wait forever on there food.
I've only served in Afghanistan. I've seen some pretty fierce combat in the Kunar, Kandahar, Tora, and Korengal regions where I lost alot of friends...but, the combat I've seen doesn't compare to what the grunts of Vietnam and WWII experienced. Anytime I see an older vet, I always try my best to thank him and shake his hand.
vundy33 Wrote:I've only served in Afghanistan. I've seen some pretty fierce combat in the Kunar, Kandahar, Tora, and Korengal regions where I lost alot of friends...but, the combat I've seen doesn't compare to what the grunts of Vietnam and WWII experienced. Anytime I see an older vet, I always try my best to thank him and shake his hand.
Thank you also.
TheRealVille Wrote:Thank you also.

:Thumbs:
Your service to our country is really appreciated Vundy!
vundy33 Wrote:I've only served in Afghanistan. I've seen some pretty fierce combat in the Kunar, Kandahar, Tora, and Korengal regions where I lost alot of friends...but, the combat I've seen doesn't compare to what the grunts of Vietnam and WWII experienced. Anytime I see an older vet, I always try my best to thank him and shake his hand.
Thanks for your service, bro..:Thumbs:
Thanks, it means alot coming from you guys.

I look at BGR sort of like a family. Especially my close buddies on here (about as close as you can get without personally knowing each other) like Hoss, Dusty, and Hoot.
vundy33 Wrote:Thanks, it means alot coming from you guys.

I look at BGR sort of like a family. Especially my close buddies on here (about as close as you can get without personally knowing each other) like Hoss, Dusty, and Hoot.

Thanks a lot man, Service is greatly appreciated.

But i wouldnt tell people i was friends with dusty........
The guy in the top picture is my friend's dad. I know it's the Korean war, but it was cool to see his dad in the article. He is the guy on the left. This is the Hill 303 Massacre. It is a very good read. Pvt.Frederick M. Ryan(Saving Pvt. Ryan) was in that same bunch of soldiers.

http://www.rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/hill303.htm
TheRealVille Wrote:The guy in the top picture is my friend's dad. I know it's the Korean war, but it was cool to see his dad in the article. He is the guy on the left. This is the Hill 303 Massacre. It is a very good read. Pvt.Frederick M. Ryan(Saving Pvt. Ryan) was in that same bunch of soldiers.

http://www.rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/hill303.htm
I mistook the Ryans. The Pvt. Ryan the movie was made about, was in Normandy France.
TheRealVille Wrote:I mistook the Ryans. The Pvt. Ryan the movie was made about, was in Normandy France.
Fictional character. Shows what I know, I always thought he was real.
vundy33 Wrote:Thanks, it means alot coming from you guys.

It's actually even more interesting when you get to meet a few of the members. I have met several over the years.

BTW Thanks for your service and all of the things you and others like you have done to protect our freedoms!
I was thinking of something last night when I was watching an old WWII show and it had alot of old Germans talking on there..I would like to meet one of them, and see what their view was of Hitler and their Army and all of that.

I talked to one, only for like 5 minutes. He was on the Russian front and injured at the beginning of Stalingrad, then moved after he healed and fought us, which he said they usually didn't do. Only question I was able to ask was what he thought of the German military as a whole during the war. And he said even towards the end when they were getting pushed back, they were still kicking our ***** alot. I kind of thought about that for a second because my great uncle was killed in 1944 by Germans, executed when his squad of Scouts were captured. Just weird to think that that guy was killing people like him and I never got to meet him. Anyway, he said something like this, "You know what you lads think of your military these days? That's how we thought."

From watching stuff about it you can tell that they had to think they were unstoppable. Heck every army has to think that or you're not going to get very far. But I just didn't expect him to say that because we pretty much have no country that could take us on head to head, and Nazi Germany had us and Britain to worry about.

I know some of you will disagree with that and say China or Russia. China's huge plus is there size, but think about moving that many, actually enough to deal a pretty big dent in us. It's called logistics, and it would be near-impossible. I'll give it to ya on Russia, I know alot about their military and worked with some Russian contractors and alot of them are vets, for every piece of equipment we have they pretty much have the same in a Russian version, except Air Force.

But, I still wouldn't have thought that the Germans would have thought like that. He said they would joke around and BS just like we do about small or "easy" countries like Iraq and Afghan and then big guys like China and Russia. Just surprised the **** out of me. I kind of didn't want to ask him about Hitler, lol. I wish I would get that chance again.