Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Deer populations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Did the deer activity in your area seem to be way slow this year... or was it just the area i was hunting?

BallaBaby

A couple weeks before me and DT wrecked I seen 2 roaming around where I live, then I seen 2 more at the same place me and DT killed our first deer..lol..too bad it was with her car though.
I thought the population was kind of low my self....I wish they would take a couple of years off in KENTUCKY with no deer hunting allowed and let them grow some..It wouldnt hurt I dont think it could only help KY grow bigger deer BUT i know this wont happen
i agree with u fb05 i only saw one deer in the hills this year while i was hunting an it was in the second blackpowder season, but a lot of good bucks where taken this year, but i didn't get one lol
Kill them all Kill them NOW

Just this week within 1 mile I saw 15 that had been struck by cars on U.S. 23
"football05" Wrote:I thought the population was kind of low my self....I wish they would take a couple of years off in KENTUCKY with no deer hunting allowed and let them grow some..It wouldnt hurt I dont think it could only help KY grow bigger deer BUT i know this wont happen

I agree 100% or if we could start only killing large bucks and letting smaler bucks walk it would increase antler mass and size on bucks... thats what i've been doing for the past few years now i only kill a doe to eat... and i wont shoot a buck unless he's worth mounting, but road hunting and spotlighting are bad in my area...
where i live it's nothing to see at least 75 deer everynite in the 20 minutes it takes for me to get from my work to my house.. they are everywhere...

if people would follow the rules the deer would get bigger, and you wouldn't have to take a year or two off.. but i've seen so many times where the deer wasn't what they wanted so they left it laying. last year i think i counted about 4 bucks ranging from spikes to 4 points.. that had been shot, found, and left to rot..
i didnt get 2 go hunting this year
"crazytaxidriver" Wrote:where i live it's nothing to see at least 75 deer everynite in the 20 minutes it takes for me to get from my work to my house.. they are everywhere...

if people would follow the rules the deer would get bigger, and you wouldn't have to take a year or two off.. but i've seen so many times where the deer wasn't what they wanted so they left it laying. last year i think i counted about 4 bucks ranging from spikes to 4 points.. that had been shot, found, and left to rot..

Yea, alot of people do that around here...The deer is either to small for them to keep, or they just get to lazy to go and drag it back to the truck.
"Sidelines" Wrote:I agree 100% or if we could start only killing large bucks and letting smaler bucks walk it would increase antler mass and size on bucks... thats what i've been doing for the past few years now i only kill a doe to eat... and i wont shoot a buck unless he's worth mounting, but road hunting and spotlighting are bad in my area...

Several management areas are now requiring bucks to have a minimum spread of 15", this will allow the younger bucks to get a chance to reach thier potential size, I wish they could enforce this on private land but I know that wont happen. However I have noticed in areas that were zone 1 a few years ago where you could kill an unlimited number of does(Lawrence, Boyd and Carter mainly) you are now seeing more and better quality bucks. Fewer does forces the bucks to have to roam more to locate females, so not only passing on younger deer help out your chances of a nice buck, but by all means kill a doe when you can.
I see about 2-3 every day around minny on the old road on the way to school in martin....almost hit 1 one morning....
deer are getting more and more populated in these mountains if we can keep people from setting them on fire and quit poaching them
yea well said
getting pretty good
"The Machine" Wrote:deer are getting more and more populated in these mountains if we can keep people from setting them on fire and quit poaching them
Yeah the poaching and fires has to be stoped there starting back in the moutains.
people need to stop it
I hunt lawrence county. did not see near as many deer this year as in the past
The deer populations are slightly down but I still managed to harvest a buck as did most of my friends and family but as several of you have said the fires and poaching needs to stop and just shooting a deer and leaving it laying is such a waste...if i shoot a deer and dont want the meat the I find a family who needs it and give it to them or to my family....
Not as many (LAwrence Co), like proud poppa says, but there were plenty at my house.. 7-10 in my yard each night when the fog rolls in...
The pop is way up in North Johnson Co. They constantly are tearing up my fencing, come and kill them all
there didnt seem to be as many deer around here this past season. i didnt see hardly any.
they were alot of deer around but i just dint see many bucks
alot of deer in bracken county
Ive seen a lot of deer this season
theres alot of deer in floyd county if u know the right spot....when i was hunting this year i seen i bet 20 does come right in front of me then 10 mins later a buck rolled by and i killed it
proud poppa Wrote:I hunt lawrence county. did not see near as many deer this year as in the past
I live in Lawrence County and i have to agree they just arent as much deer as they use to be....i belive its due to the amount of hunters we get..every year all the motels in LC are full during gun season and all the cabins for rent in the county are too..mostly with out of state hunters...they do need at least one year of no hunting to help the size and groth of the bucks...maybe a year of no out of state hunters alone with a doe only season would help.
There aren't any deer in Lawrence county because they're all roaming the streets in ashland!!! I see alot of deer well inside the city limits all the time!! To bad noone can hunt them!
Were i lived this season has been better than the last few. 1st day of youth season i killed a buck around 11 clock. Then the next week my dad killed another buck during muzzleloader season. We both seen 3 or 4 other bucks those days. So i say there is a lot of deers around. There all in the woods. Go look 4 them.
open season anyone? haha
http://fw.ky.gov/navigation.asp?cid=379&...h=C151C559

check out ths site..if you notice Lawrence County is the top producer in deer in east ky and in the top 25 county across the state.
Pages: 1 2