Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Spencer County Open
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone with any knowledge about this situation other than they have lost 17 in a row...
One would think that this could be a good program, especially with the success of their middle school program. Does the administration back the program? Will they give a coach what he needs to succeed?
Any updates on this position? Has it been offered? Are the still interviewing?
FANTASTIC middle school program, hope they get the right fit to get the ball rolling at Spencer County..best of luck to them, the kids deserve it. I have been very impressed with all aspects of their middle school football program and the direction it has been headed the past few years. Who is Spencer Co head middle school coach? does he have the qualifications to get the high school head coach job?
Really sounds like they are dragging their feet with this hire.

Henry County came open at the same time and they offered the position last week. Spencer's AD claims they are still interviewing and will start the SECOND ROUND of interviews soon.
There will be an announcement Monday.
Indeed there will, and this man deserves it and will do well. I am looking forward to following SC and watching my old friend develop this program!
Congrats to Spencer! Excited to hear the name of who will lead Spencer Football to where they need to be, like I said in an earlier post, middle school program is great, so these kids deserve a good, lasting hire!
Why not just give the name?
I think the guy was the OC at Mercer last year. Marksburry (sp)?
Seriously? I guess we'll wait for this to be confirmed before blowing it up, but if this is the case they hired an OC from a team that went 4-19 in the past two seasons. WOW!
It's confirmed on another board. Might as well be here as well.
Anyone have any insight on how a team goes 1-11 only to follow it up with 3-8 the next year, gets rid of their HC and then their OC (who doesn't get the head job at his current school) lands a head job at another school?

Geez! Spencer County must be feeling pretty good about this one?????
Mike was also a long time assistant at Nelson Co. where they had tons of success. Pretty sure he learned the wing-t from Mark Brown, not a bad guy to learn that offense from. Mercer is a LONG way from being good again, perhaps dropping 2 classes but keeping the same enrollment would help (sorry, just had to say it)! He will do fine at Spencer. He's a disciplinarian, knows his system, and will run a quality program. He knows what he's getting into and will do right by the kids. This is a good hire for Spencer. Good luck coach!
I still don't get that reasoning? Long time assistant at Nelson County that was not able to carry any of that success over to Mercer. What makes you think he'll be able to carry it over to Spencer?

Disciplinarian? They all say the right things off the field, but at the end of the day, what happens on the field proves what type of coach you are.

I guess only time will tell.....but from recent history at Mercer, I don't see a huge turnaround in the making.
Let's wait and see how he does before we say this is a great hire! He has very little success on his coaching resume', so let's not say he is the savior of this program. I know of coaches with much better resume's that applied for this job and did not even get an interview, but then again they may not have any teaching positions. If that is the case, does the administration really want to do what it takes for the program to succeed. Good Luck to Spencer County and I hope he is what some think, but let's wait and see.
I didn't say he was a savior or great hire, but like you said....lets give the guy a chance. Furthermore Mercer hasnt had success since their first year, that includes Jaggers after they were placed in their respective classification, so should we say he wasn't successful? Let's also keep in mind that Spencer is in no way a good job. They have little to no support, zero budget, poor facilities, and they run through coaches like my wife runs through my paycheck. For most this is a stepping stone, for Mike he will treat it like a dream job...there is the difference in he and others before him. He will do fine. Good luck Mike!
bigboy26 Wrote:I didn't say he was a savior or great hire, but like you said....lets give the guy a chance. Furthermore Mercer hasnt had success since their first year, that includes Jaggers after they were placed in their respective classification, so should we say he wasn't successful? Let's also keep in mind that Spencer is in no way a good job. They have little to no support, zero budget, poor facilities, and they run through coaches like my wife runs through my paycheck. For most this is a stepping stone, for Mike he will treat it like a dream job...there is the difference in he and others before him. He will do fine. Good luck Mike!

Ehhhh? Jaggers went 10-2 his first year and that was premerger, and also won his 5A district in '08, though not sure the record.

Regardless, you're right, all of the judgment being passed on the new Spencer coach is just wrong. Like you, I'm tickeled to death about him getting hired. Mike will do well there!
bigboy26 Wrote:I didn't say he was a savior or great hire, but like you said....lets give the guy a chance. Furthermore Mercer hasnt had success since their first year, that includes Jaggers after they were placed in their respective classification, so should we say he wasn't successful? Let's also keep in mind that Spencer is in no way a good job. They have little to no support, zero budget, poor facilities, and they run through coaches like my wife runs through my paycheck. For most this is a stepping stone, for Mike he will treat it like a dream job...there is the difference in he and others before him. He will do fine. Good luck Mike!

Bigboy....thanks for summing it up. Sounds like some realistic expectations need to be set and then they should be able to reach their goals.

BOL to the new coach and SC!
Harry Doyle Wrote:Ehhhh? Jaggers went 10-2 his first year and that was premerger, and also won his 5A district in '08, though not sure the record.

Regardless, you're right, all of the judgment being passed on the new Spencer coach is just wrong. Like you, I'm tickeled to death about him getting hired. Mike will do well there!

Your right Harry, In 2005 Mercer went 10-2 and won their 1st playoff game in 18 years. That tied the school record for most wins pre merger. In o8 ,they did win the district and were undefeated in district play in only their 2nd year of being class 5A. They have now dropped down to 4A.