Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Top 10 current college football rivalries
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sto...ortCat=ncf

It's Rivalry Weekend in college football. Here is my ranking of the top 10 current football rivalries (limited to those being played this weekend). If you disagree, feel free to leave your opinion in the comments. After all, most modern-day rivalries are started by angry message board posts. Maybe you and I can be the new Ohio State versus Michigan! (I call dibs on not being Michigan.)

No. 2 Auburn at No. 11 Alabama -- Friday: 2:30 p.m. ET on CBS

Yeah, these two fan bases are rather intense. I'm not even going to risk trying to make a joke about either school, because I'd prefer not to beaten to death the next time I go to Alabama. Although now that I think about it, what reason would I ever have to go to Alabama? (Oh, crap. I'm dead.)

Michigan at No. 8 Ohio State -- Saturday: noon ET on ABC

Historically, this might be the best rivalry in college football. But Michigan's run of stink has knocked it down a peg or two. Remember that ESPN ad from a few years ago with the couple making out while wearing Michigan and Ohio State gear? If that were filmed today, the girl in the Michigan shirt would get pregnant and be left to raise the child on her own, sacrificing many of her dreams, while the Ohio State guy would move on to a live of freedom and constant partying.

Florida at No. 22 Florida State -- Saturday: 3:30 p.m. ET on ABC/ESPN

This rivalry doesn't seem the same without Bobby Bowden on the sideline. Ooh! I know! Maybe Bowden can join Urban Meyer's staff next year. There should be some openings.

No. 13 Oklahoma at No. 9 Oklahoma State -- Saturday: 8 p.m. ET on ABC

Oklahoma has dominated this rivalry, but the best rivalries -- and by "best" I mean the most irrationally hateful -- come from states with smaller populations. Plus, there's a good chance Oklahoma State will spice this rivalry up with either a win or T. Boone Pickens unleashing a wind-powered laser death ray on Norman.

No. 18 South Carolina at Clemson -- Saturday: 7 p.m. ET on ESPN2

There's not a lot of love lost between these two teams. There is a lot of blood lost, though. Especially out of the head.

No. 25 Mississippi State at Mississippi -- Saturday: 7 p.m. ET on ESPNU

Mississippi State head coach Dan Mullen after beating Ole Miss last year: "There's certainly one program in this state that's definitely on the rise and going in the right direction." Ouch. When a grown man with a child's haircut who also rocks a visor feels free to talk trash, you know you've got a rivalry.

West Virginia at Pitt -- Friday: noon ET on ABC

How remote is West Virginia? Pittsburgh is thought of as "the big city" by its residents. Quick. Someone tell the Pirates. They can use their big-market cash to sign Cliff Lee.

BYU at No. 20 Utah -- Saturday: 3:30 p.m. ET on CBS College Sports

This is how rivalries should be: intense but respectful. This is the only rivalry game in which you might see a sign that reads: "WE ARE PRAYING FOR YOU! (PRAYING FOR YOU TO LOSE, THAT IS!)" And then maybe an accompanying sign: "REALLY, MAY THE BEST TEAM WIN. AND LET THERE BE NO INJURIES."

Notre Dame at USC -- Saturday: 8 p.m. ET on ABC

Similar to the Ohio State-Michigan rivalry, this one was better in olden times. But Notre Dame still is operating under the delusion of greatness and relevance, so good for Irish. Reach for the stars. Speaking of delusions of greatness and relevance: Mitch Mustain is starting at quarterback for USC on Saturday! (Sorry. That was rude. Let's say a Notre Dame fan sent that to me.)

Kansas vs. No. 14 Missouri -- Saturday: 12:30 p.m. ET on FSN

This game would be a lot better if Kansas weren't so bad this year under Turner Gill. Maybe we can do something to fire it up. "Hey, Kansas! Missouri insulted your mother! Oh, wait. No. Sorry. They got your mother confused with Mark Mangino. My mistake." Annnnnnd done.

(If this list went all the way up to 11, I would have included Texas A&M and Texas. But Texas is lousy this season, so there's no room for the Longhorns. This is similar to this year's bowls.)

Game of the Week
No. 5 LSU at No. 12 Arkansas -- Saturday: 3:30 p.m. ET on CBS

Really? You want me to pick a Game of the Week other than the ones listed above? Fine. Tigers center T-Bob Hebert had this to say about LSU's season so far: "We've been showing up in fourth quarters this year; we seem to buckle down and throw it into overdrive." Granted, that's not a very interesting quote. I just like writing, saying and hearing the name T-Bob Hebert. In fact, the thing I'm most thankful for this Thanksgiving is that I live in a country that has actual people with names like T-Bob Hebert.
If anyone puts KY and TN on this list they will be banned for life from BGR..

not really, but let's please not go there until ky wins one..
I always thought Oklahoma vs Texas was a big rivalry, seems that game is always bigger than OK vs OK State.
Honorable Mention....UK vs UL Can you dig it????
crazytaxidriver Wrote:If anyone puts KY and TN on this list they will be banned for life from BGR..

not really, but let's please not go there until ky wins one..

LOL - :Thumbs:
West Virginia at Pitt -- Friday: noon ET on ABC

How remote is West Virginia? Pittsburgh is thought of as "the big city" by its residents. Quick. Someone tell the Pirates. They can use their big-market cash to sign Cliff Lee.

62-38-3 all time in Pitt's favor.
Quote:
"10.
Kansas vs. No. 14 Missouri -- Saturday: 12:30 p.m. ET on FSN

This game would be a lot better if Kansas weren't so bad this year under Turner Gill. Maybe we can do something to fire it up. "Hey, Kansas! Missouri insulted your mother! Oh, wait. No. Sorry. They got your mother confused with Mark Mangino. My mistake." Annnnnnd done.

(If this list went all the way up to 11, I would have included Texas A&M and Texas. But Texas is lousy this season, so there's no room for the Longhorns. This is similar to this year's bowls.)"

I am sorry but this game is not bigger than the Red River Shootout between Texas and Oklahoma.
Who made this list anyways? Have they ever watched college football?
^the list is limited to rivalries just played this particular weekend.
Aslan Wrote:^the list is limited to rivalries just played this particular weekend.
Ah ha! I should have read the first paragraph...lol