Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Cavs ban anti-LeBron James apparel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
LeBron James will return to Cleveland's Quicken Loans Arena on Dec. 2 for the first time since the Akron-born James announced he was leaving the Cavaliers for the Miami Heat.

And the Cavaliers and the NBA are doing all they can to make sure the emotional and hostile scene does not turn ugly.

James
The team and the league have been planning for this date since the summer, starting a continuing dialogue since the Heat's first game in Cleveland was scheduled in early August. The Cavaliers, the league and the Cleveland Police Department have had conference calls discussing the proper way to secure the game, which will be televised nationally on TNT.

To ensure James' safety, there will be dozens of extra police officers on hand, both uniformed and undercover. Officers will be stationed inside and outside the arena, and many will be positioned by the Heat bench and at the tunnel where the Heat players will enter the court.

"Honestly, I'm a little bit afraid," one member of the Cavs organization said. "Some people don't care. Their mentality is '‘I've got to get this off my chest.' There's so much negative energy around this game. People aren't excited about the game itself. They're just like, '‘I can't wait to do something.' "

The Cavaliers have been one of the few NBA teams to have metal detectors at every arena entrance since Dan Gilbert bought the club more than five years ago, but they will go beyond that on Dec. 2.