Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Newport Catholic 56 - Holy Cross 21
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
final
I really thought is HC had a chance to beat NCC it was this year. With Kelly just coming back, and HC playing very balanced football, this was going to be their year. Seeing how NCC has played, the state title is theirs.
congrats ncc
NCC was impressive on both sides of the ball. HC couldn't get much going on offensive and NCC offense could move the ball at will.
congrats to NCC
Congrats NCC
HC kept it competitive until halftime. NCC O-line absolutely wore down HC's defense and then offensively, HC just couldnt get anything working on offense. I was very impressed with NCC's intensity. Chris Kelly might be the most underrated player in the state. congrats to NCC on the win and congrats to HC on an awesome season. many alumni like myself are extremely proud of them
Impressive win for NCC.
It was perhaps appropriate that senior offensive lineman Jake Giesler recovered a teammate’s fumble in the end zone for Newport Central Catholic’s final touchdown of Friday’s Class 2A state quarterfinal game, because he and his linemates certainly paved the way to the victory.

NewCath rushed for 398 yards in the game and outscored Holy Cross 49-7 over the final three quarters in a 56-21 victory at Newport Stadium.

The win advances the Thoroughbreds (11-2) into a state semifinal matchup next Friday at Corbin, which beat Prestonsburg, 48-14, in a state quarterfinal game last night.

Holy Cross (7-6) had a five-game winning streak snapped that began after a 28-14 regular-season loss to NewCath.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...311190092/
NewCath, which up front offensively features the 6-foot-7, 245-pound Giesler, 6-foot 11, 330-pound senior Jack Gruenschlaeger, senior Nick Kohrs, junior Ross Birkenhauer and sophomore Brady Thacker, was so dominant that it scored touchdowns on eight of its 10 possessions in the game.

The only time it didn’t was late in the first half when senior quarterback Brady Hightchew fumbled on fourth-and-goal from the Holy Cross 1, and on the final play of the game when backup quarterback Josh Cain took a knee on the final play of the game.

“I told (the line) before game and earlier in the week that this game was going to be won in the trenches,” said first-year NewCath head coach Eddie Eviston. “This is playoff football: it’s getting cold and this where it’s won -- it’s won up front.”

Eviston said it was appropriate that someone from the offensive line scored a touchdown.

“Giesler’s been bugging me all year to line him up at tight end,” said Eviston. “He wants the ball - all linemen do don’t they? He deserves it. They all deserve it. They do a great job.”

Giesler’s touchdown came when sophomore Dylan Hayes fumbled as he was going into the end zone one play after he made a nifty 34-yard run that took the ball to the Holy Cross 3. Giesler said the TD has Gruenschlaeger a bit jealous, but that the score was for the entire line.

“Big Jack was mad at me,” said Giesler. “We always go over to his house on Thursday and eat pizza and he said I’m not allowed to come over anymore. It was just right at my feet and I just fell on it. We never get much credit - it all goes to the running back and the quarterback, but we’re working hard all season and it felt good to get a reward.”

Senior running back Chris Kelly, who finished with 181 yards and four touchdowns on 30 carries said he was happy a lineman scored.

“I like seeing the big guys get some glory,” said Kelly. “The line got off the ball real nice tonight, got to the second level and kind of made it easy for me because I wasn’t getting touched five yards down the field sometimes.”

Hightchew finished with 120 yards rushing on 15 carries and also completed 6 of 7 passes for 69 yards and a touchdown and Hayes had 76 yards rushing on six carries.

Holy Cross certainly looked as if it was going to make a game of it in the first quarter as junior Eric Walker returned the opening kickoff 94 yards for a touchdown and then answered a NewCath touchdown drive with one of its own that was capped by a 10-yard TD pass from senior quarterback Jerry Arlinghaus to junior Kyle Fuller.

Arlnghaus finished by going 16 of 31 passing for 159 yards and a team-high 44 yards rushing on 13 carries.

Holy Cross, which finished with just 227 yards of offense, 139 in the first half, came out in a five receiver set that Eviston admitted bothered his team.

“It did kind of throw us for a loop and you have to give them credit,” said Eviston. “We knew they could score and score quick. Once we settled down and kind of realized what they wanted to do we played sound football.”

Holy Cross 14 0 7 0 – 21
NewCath 7 21 14 14 – 56

HC-Walker 94 kickoff return (K. Fuller kick)
NCC-Jake Cain 25 pass from Hightchew (Burns kick)
HC-K. Fuller 10 pass from Arlinghaus (K. Fuller kick)
NCC-Hayes 1 run (Burns kick)
NCC-Kelly 1 run (Burns kick)
NCC-Kelly 3 run (Burns kick)
NCC-Kelly 4 run (Burns kick)
HC-Jasper 19 pass from Arlinghaus (K. Fuller kick)
NCC-Hightchew 1 run (Burns kick)
NCC-Kelly 2 run (Burns kick)
NCC-Giesler recovered fumble in end zone (Burns kick)

Records: Holy Cross 7-6, Newport Central Catholic 7-5
Newport Central Catholic 56, Covington Holy Cross 21: Chris Kelly ran for 184 yards and four touchdowns in the Thoroughbreds' home victory. Brady Hightchew added 123 rushing yards and a TD, and also threw a 25-yard TD pass to Jake Cain

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/11/20/15329...z15sNAb4Dn
Congrats to both NCC and HCC...both teams fought hard.
I think the Indians are probably the most underated team in 2A and deserve credit for a fine season. The second half effort that propelled them to victory over the Colts just wasn't enough against the thoroughbreds. 'Breds all the way.