Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kentucky 38 - Vanderbilt 20
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Final

Cats are Bowl Eligable
Great to see the Cats finally put points on the board in this game
Stardust Wrote:Great to see the Cats finally put points on the board in this game

i didn't think they was ever going to
Congrats Cats, and Joker on extending the Bowls to 5 straight year.
We need to take the next step as a program. I'm sick of everyone just wanting to make a bowl, and I'm sick of this ****ty nobody bowls that we keep going to.
vundy33 Wrote:We need to take the next step as a program. I'm sick of everyone just wanting to make a bowl, and I'm sick of this ****ty nobody bowls that we keep going to.

:Thumbs:
Strikeout King Wrote:i didn't think they was ever going to

me either i left for the ASU/WKU game and at half they only had 10
Congrats Cats
Hope this wasn't Cobb's last game at Commenwealth.
Once again we played pathetic in the first half, but did play some great football in the second half. Big games from the Locke, Cobb, and Matthews..
Is anyone else amused by all the hype about Kentucky probably getting a "record fifth straight bowl bid"? Somehow three trips to the Music City Bowl, one to the Peach Bowl, and most likely a bid this year to another Toilet Bowl is not particularly impressive when compared to the 1949, 1950, and 1951 trips to the Orange Bowl, the Sugar Bowl, and the Cotton Bowl.

Like many matters in modern sports, bowl invitations has been watered down to the point where they are meaningless. Win six and lose six and you go "bowling". What a joke.
I like to hate on other teams. But how can you hate on kentucky for making it to a bowl game. Kentucky will always be the Basketball School. Big time recruits are not going to come to kentucky. Myself, i am very proud that this team made it to a bowl game. Much better than not going to a bowl game in my opinion.
^
Agreed.
I love the job Joker has done this season.
MVP2 Wrote:I love the job Joker has done this season.

I dont agree much with jokers coaching. We have some real weapons and when used correctly we win games. But these kids play to win every game. And when the fans boo them and say they suck for going to a bowl game. You get a tweet from randall cobb saying you guys suck.
C-A-T-S
CATS CATS CATS

Another Bowl Game.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Is anyone else amused by all the hype about Kentucky probably getting a "record fifth straight bowl bid"? Somehow three trips to the Music City Bowl, one to the Peach Bowl, and most likely a bid this year to another Toilet Bowl is not particularly impressive when compared to the 1949, 1950, and 1951 trips to the Orange Bowl, the Sugar Bowl, and the Cotton Bowl.

Like many matters in modern sports, bowl invitations has been watered down to the point where they are meaningless. Win six and lose six and you go "bowling". What a joke.

49, 50 and 51 were great teams but keep in mind what 5 straight bowls means. That means that there HAD to be more than one good class of players. How many teams over the years get 2 or 3 great recruits and go on a good run. This years Auburn team comes to mind right now. What will they be without Newton?

I am not downplaying UK's achievements 60 years ago, I am just talking about how important the current teams are.
Everyone continues to hate on what Kentucky is doing right now. Yes, the bowls that they are going to arent much to shake a stick at. However, what you fail to realize is where this program has came from since 2002 and 2003. If it were not for an untimly probationary period this program would be furthur along than a Music City Bowl IMO. You also fail to remember that this same program under Brooks in 06 (last year of probation) did something many thought was trivial making a bowl a game. Now, we are seeing this program each year beating teams and being in a position to beat teams that have been years ahead of us due to the probationary period. All this program has to do is learn how to put teams away and to play 4 quarters of football and we will be an 8+ win better program looking into the future. We are already getting better recruiting classes, facilites are improving and our play in improving now its just time to tie the knot and win a couple more games a season. Consistency is very important and currently we have that now lets build upon it. GOOOOOO CATS!!!!!
I do not think that any of you all realize how difficult it is to "take that next step" especially considering that a coaching change is a transitional period where everyone has to adjust regardless of whether or not it was expected. I also do not think that you all are remembering how far the UK football program has come in the last 5-7 years. Either you were not there or just do not remember the days in Commonwealth stadium when as a fan you hoped that the Cats could pull one out against Vandy because if they didn't one or two wins was about all you could hope for in a year. Days where you knew there was absolutely no shot that Kentucky could even compete with anybody in conference much less have a shot to beat a top ten team. Building a program from times that Kentucky has been through is extremely difficult and as long as Kentucky continues to work and stay in position to compete in the SEC things will continue to improve. If you don't believe it get off the wagon:redboxer:
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Everyone continues to hate on what Kentucky is doing right now. Yes, the bowls that they are going to arent much to shake a stick at. However, what you fail to realize is where this program has came from since 2002 and 2003. If it were not for an untimly probationary period this program would be furthur along than a Music City Bowl IMO. You also fail to remember that this same program under Brooks in 06 (last year of probation) did something many thought was trivial making a bowl a game. Now, we are seeing this program each year beating teams and being in a position to beat teams that have been years ahead of us due to the probationary period. All this program has to do is learn how to put teams away and to play 4 quarters of football and we will be an 8+ win better program looking into the future. We are already getting better recruiting classes, facilites are improving and our play in improving now its just time to tie the knot and win a couple more games a season. Consistency is very important and currently we have that now lets build upon it. GOOOOOO CATS!!!!!

Brooks4Prez Wrote:I do not think that any of you all realize how difficult it is to "take that next step" especially considering that a coaching change is a transitional period where everyone has to adjust regardless of whether or not it was expected. I also do not think that you all are remembering how far the UK football program has come in the last 5-7 years. Either you were not there or just do not remember the days in Commonwealth stadium when as a fan you hoped that the Cats could pull one out against Vandy because if they didn't one or two wins was about all you could hope for in a year. Days where you knew there was absolutely no shot that Kentucky could even compete with anybody in conference much less have a shot to beat a top ten team. Building a program from times that Kentucky has been through is extremely difficult and as long as Kentucky continues to work and stay in position to compete in the SEC things will continue to improve. If you don't believe it get off the wagon:redboxer:

To both of these posts: :Thumbs:
Glad to see the Cats get the job done in this one, I hope come out do the same thing against the Vols!!
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Everyone continues to hate on what Kentucky is doing right now. Yes, the bowls that they are going to arent much to shake a stick at. However, what you fail to realize is where this program has came from since 2002 and 2003. If it were not for an untimly probationary period this program would be furthur along than a Music City Bowl IMO. You also fail to remember that this same program under Brooks in 06 (last year of probation) did something many thought was trivial making a bowl a game. Now, we are seeing this program each year beating teams and being in a position to beat teams that have been years ahead of us due to the probationary period. All this program has to do is learn how to put teams away and to play 4 quarters of football and we will be an 8+ win better program looking into the future. We are already getting better recruiting classes, facilites are improving and our play in improving now its just time to tie the knot and win a couple more games a season. Consistency is very important and currently we have that now lets build upon it. GOOOOOO CATS!!!!!

Brooks4Prez Wrote:I do not think that any of you all realize how difficult it is to "take that next step" especially considering that a coaching change is a transitional period where everyone has to adjust regardless of whether or not it was expected. I also do not think that you all are remembering how far the UK football program has come in the last 5-7 years. Either you were not there or just do not remember the days in Commonwealth stadium when as a fan you hoped that the Cats could pull one out against Vandy because if they didn't one or two wins was about all you could hope for in a year. Days where you knew there was absolutely no shot that Kentucky could even compete with anybody in conference much less have a shot to beat a top ten team. Building a program from times that Kentucky has been through is extremely difficult and as long as Kentucky continues to work and stay in position to compete in the SEC things will continue to improve. If you don't believe it get off the wagon:redboxer:

Great post guys. :notworthy
In addition to my post earlier: I find it really sad that "fans" of UK football can get on here and complain about the coaching etc etc. When these young adults that you "support" (many of whom could be playing for "better" programs) believe in the coaching staff and players around them. These young men see something in the program that many of you disregard and that is character. When players like Burton, Tamme and company commited to Kentucky they looked at it as a place to build success is a troubled time for the University. When Cobb, Newton and Matthews commited they saw a growing program that they could aid in getting over the hump. Now you have even better future commitments looking at Joke Phillips and company and seeing class, determenation and a will to win. Be nice if those same players mentioned above and coaches didn't have to sit here and call you "fans" out who can't believe. While a 6 year old in Paducah or Hardin Co. has more heart and pride in their beloved program than you do.
First, let me just say that I am a huge UK fan in every sport...I was raised that way. Regardless of the feelings that I have towards the Uk athletic department and co., I wish success for the cats in every sport.

Now, a lot of statements on this thread are centered towards "building a program." Doing so is an expensive, time consuming, and very challenging task. It will take a long time, but poor athletic department decisions can greatly stall progress.
Uk's recent coaching change, in my opinion, was a huge mistake. Why? Because that shows me how un-interested the athletic department is towards football. There was no, again in my opinion, genuine thought towards the benifit of the program in mind when this decision was made. I saw Joker's immediate acceptance to be more of a respect factor towards Rich Brooks, rather than a thought out decision.
I loved everything that Rich Brooks did in his tenure at Uk, except naming Joker Phillips as his pretecessor. And the administration accepting such an audatious request blows my mind.
Is Joker doing a good job as head coach at UK? Of course. But my main point in this banter is that there could be better, more suitable options for the UK football program. Obviously, UK is a basketball school; but if the school wants MULTIPLE sports programs that are on the same level as the basketball team, which i believe is true, there has to be some kind of spotlight re-direction in Lexington....or at least some spotlight sharing.
That next step we have to take is an enormous one.
Right now we challenge a few teams in the SEC, and there are a few that continue to beat us year in and year out.
We beat the lower tier SEC teams, challenge the middle, and get demolished by the big dogs(with the exception of an upset here and there).
Winning all the cupcake games we schedule and beating 2 or 3 SEC teams will gain bowl elligibility, and that's really all we have to work with right now.

Bottom line
It takes a lot be a winning program in the SEC and you can't do it without a top knotch coaching staff.
I personally don't believe Joker is the man to get it done.....but we have to give him a few years to make sure.
Congrats UK!
zaga_fan Wrote:That next step we have to take is an enormous one.
Right now we challenge a few teams in the SEC, and there are a few that continue to beat us year in and year out.
We beat the lower tier SEC teams, challenge the middle, and get demolished by the big dogs(with the exception of an upset here and there).
Winning all the cupcake games we schedule and beating 2 or 3 SEC teams will gain bowl elligibility, and that's really all we have to work with right now.

Bottom line
It takes a lot be a winning program in the SEC and you can't do it without a top knotch coaching staff.
I personally don't believe Joker is the man to get it done.....but we have to give him a few years to make sure.

Care to explain why you think that?
MVP2 Wrote:Care to explain why you think that?

I will 2morrow.
2 much 2 type on the wii lol
zaga_fan Wrote:I will 2morrow.
2 much 2 type on the wii lol

Care to explain now Zaga, why Joker isn't the man in Lexington?
MVP2 Wrote:Care to explain now Zaga, why Joker isn't the man in Lexington?

I think he's a good coach.
But I think if UK wants a legit program they need to pay big money for someone who hasn't been passed around as a WR coach over the years.
Hire Jon Gruden lol
Pages: 1 2