Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Warren Central 10 Grayson Co. 8
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Defensive Battle.

Congrats WC.
congrats to WC, do they play at CC next week
cuppett777 Wrote:congrats to WC, do they play at CC next week

Yes.
Christian County actually plays at Warren Central.
^

Your right, the game is @ WC. I thought he ask if WC plays CC next.
Great win for Central. We were getting the scores at Christian County and I thought about what Dragonfire said. Some teams just don't match up with certain teams and Central seems to have that with Grayson County. I'm glad Central pulled this one out. They really are the better team. I just hope they can get some offense going before next week. I think their defense will be great but you have to score points.
The Dragons were suffering from a lot of adversity that I didn't post about coming in. Cortez Barber was suffering from a virus that was inducing symptoms similar to migraines and vertigo. I did not know up until 1 hour before kickoff whether he would play, and he played very sparingly in the first half before coming up big in the second. A couple of other players were really under the weather too. But a lot of teams have adversity - I'm sure Grayson had their share.

The Cougars abused the Dragons in the first half. Defensively, the Dragons only had one major lapse, a 73 yard TD score by the Cougars in the first quarter. They gave up a few more 10-15 yard plays in the first half as well. And the offense, well, ugh, in the first half. If they weren't fumbling the snap, they were running into their own players on handoff exchanges. Or pitching the ball to nowhere. Or just generally not executing. The Cougars came to play, but ultimately, they lost the second half just like they did the first time, though they managed to not let the Dragons sprint away from them this time. Their only score of the second half came on a safety when a bad snap led to a blocked punt. I don't think they crossed the Dragon 30 (maybe 25) in the second half - also like last time.

But yes, it is a lot of where Central just doesn't match up well against Grayson County. That triple option offense is a load to defend, and the one time that Central really blew coverage, the Cougars made them pay in a big way. The Cougars did a great job of forcing the Dragon O inside this time, where they have a very good size advantage. Cortez being ill helped them do that, as he's the major threat on the edge. Eric Brown was someone they were counting on, and after having a forgettable first half, he got it together and had most of the big offensive plays for the Dragons in the second half, including a 13 yard TD run on 4th and 3.

I'm interested to see how the Dragons handle Hickey. He hurt them bad in his two drives in the first game, but the coaches tell me they really hadn't gameplanned for him, and I don't think the Colonels really planned on utilizing him much until they saw the success he had (which quite frankly changed their season IMO). Probably the area I'm most concerned about is special teams. Week to week, the Dragon special teams seem to be getting worse, and I think they had better just punt the ball out of bounds every time next Friday. Otherwise, Tandy gets one kick return minimum.
MVP2 Wrote:Defensive Battle.

Congrats WC.

Which is rare at this stage of the playoffs
If the Purples offense would have shown up they would have won by 3 tds. I'm not trying to knock Christian County but I don't think it was their defense that hurt us. It was not excuting and the plays that were called. If our offense was half as good as our defense we would be hard for anybody to beat. If Central has everyone healthy and runs the ball against CC I don't think it will even be close.
It's like I said in the pregame thread, their offense IMO is always that way. You had three years from 2005-2007 where they were just loaded with talent offensively. How many D1 offensive players came out of that group? I'd imagine it's more than every year since and before it through 2000 combined. The rest of the time, they just try to make the most of opportunities given by the defense when they play good teams.

And it really makes you wonder if that's why they haven't had the success since that they thought they would. They were extremely close to this being their third straight exit before the region finals, just like they had for three years prior to 2005. I still feel that Owensboro should've beaten Bowling Green last year, and they would have had Sam Howard not completely taken over that game. A lot of people were restless with the program before the '05-'07 span. They really need to step it up next year, because whereas these years many have expected them to compete for a state title, next year people are expecting them to win it. They'll most definitely be preseason #1.
Grats WC
Congrats WC
DragonFire Wrote:It's like I said in the pregame thread, their offense IMO is always that way. You had three years from 2005-2007 where they were just loaded with talent offensively. How many D1 offensive players came out of that group? I'd imagine it's more than every year since and before it through 2000 combined. The rest of the time, they just try to make the most of opportunities given by the defense when they play good teams.

And it really makes you wonder if that's why they haven't had the success since that they thought they would. They were extremely close to this being their third straight exit before the region finals, just like they had for three years prior to 2005. I still feel that Owensboro should've beaten Bowling Green last year, and they would have had Sam Howard not completely taken over that game. A lot of people were restless with the program before the '05-'07 span. They really need to step it up next year, because whereas these years many have expected them to compete for a state title, next year people are expecting them to win it. They'll most definitely be preseason #1.

I'm hoping next year will be one even the coach can't screw up.Confusedhh: