Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kanter ruled ineligible
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
http://http://www.wkyt.com/home/headline...28533.html

Looks like our National Title hopes are on hold.
This really sucks. Were going to have big problems when it comes to the inside game.
Ruled out because he accepted $33 thousand more than what was deemed "neccesary" by the NCAA. UK is going to appeal but I doubt it being overturned. It was a longshot at best to get him anyways but oh well.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5793192

Just send him to duke. I'm sure they could get him eligible.
That stinks!
Wildcatk23 Wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5793192

Just send him to duke. I'm sure they could get him eligible.

Coach K doesn't fool with semi-pro players from overseas.
And Coach Cal has shown time and time again he simply doesn't care who he signs, as long as they sign.
I do not feel sorry for this kid. If he wanted to play college ball, then he should not have excepted the money.
zaga_fan Wrote:Coach K doesn't fool with semi-pro players from overseas.
And Coach Cal has shown time and time again he simply doesn't care who he signs, as long as they sign.
No Coach K just gets players here in the U.S. who have taken money and still gets them eligible and also gets the story put under the rug forever. COREY MAGGETTE.

And Coach Cal done nothing illegal. He took a shot to get the kid and get him eligible. If it had worked UK would have had a serious threat to the rest of the basketball world.
sstack Wrote:I do not feel sorry for this kid. If he wanted to play college ball, then he should not have excepted the money.
If you come form Europe and you played ball over there then yes you have taken money at some point. Man it aint like here. They don't have school teams, they have pro teams.
I could see them just making him pay the money back and setting out 10+ games but who knows
Amun-Ra Wrote:No Coach K just gets players here in the U.S. who have taken money and still gets them eligible and also gets the story put under the rug forever. COREY MAGGETTE.

And Coach Cal done nothing illegal. He took a shot to get the kid and get him eligible. If it had worked UK would have had a serious threat to the rest of the basketball world.

:Thumbs:
This is unfortunate. I feel bad for Kanter.
I don't believe UK is a national title contender anymore.
zaga_fan Wrote:Coach K doesn't fool with semi-pro players from overseas.

You are dead-on right. People with blinders on can say what they want. :Thumbs:
Amun-Ra Wrote:No Coach K just gets players here in the U.S. who have taken money and still gets them eligible and also gets the story put under the rug forever. COREY MAGGETTE.

For every Corey Magette there is always a Derrick Rose and a Marcus Camby. I guess if Coach K is beyond reproach, then what is Cal? He must be the Teflon Don, because he has never done anything illegal. I just guess Cal is much better than Coack K because, have ever been caught! But it's Coach K that every single pungent in the Basketball world lauds his integrity. Does the rest of the Basketball world (amateur and pro) say the same about Cal. There is our opinion, then there is those that are tremendously more in the know than us!
Aslan Wrote:This is unfortunate. I feel bad for Kanter.
I don't believe UK is a national title contender anymore.

I agree 100%. :Thumbs:Bottom-line, this is a young man that has lost an opportunity. He will be fine. He will still be a #1 draft pick in the NBA and he has an incredible future ahead of him.

How does this impact UK? Only time will tell. I'd hate to think that UK had to rely on him totally to be a contender. We all know that in sports, your are always one play away from missing a star player. We have no clue how Enes would have impacted the team. An injury could have taken him away and we would have had to rely on someone else to step up. We have players that can step up. They won't be able to match what Enes could have brought, but then again, we really don't know what that would have been anyhow.

The Cats will be fine. They do not have to adjust, they never had him in the first place. The Cats would have had to adjust with Enes in the line-up since he has never played with the rest of the players anyhow.
Best news I ahve got all year! lol... Just kidding... I was actually wanting the kid to get elgible, he seems like a good kid to me. But however accepting money is against the rules! Also for the UK fans, its better it happen now then at the end of the season when Cal would ahve yet another championship removed
theVILLE Wrote:Best news I ahve got all year! lol... Just kidding... I was actually wanting the kid to get elgible, he seems like a good kid to me. But however accepting money is against the rules! Also for the UK fans, its better it happen now then at the end of the season when Cal would ahve yet another championship removed

Actually bring up something that has not been broached. Did Enes ever say if he did or did not take money? Obviously the NCAA has ruled that he did. Thus, did the NCAA make up their ruling, or did Enes's attorney make up his? Someone's word can't be trusted.
Stardust Wrote:Actually bring up something that has not been broached. Did Enes ever say if he did or did not take money? Obviously the NCAA has ruled that he did. Thus, did the NCAA make up their ruling, or did Enes's attorney make up his? Someone's word can't be trusted.

Exactly what i was meaning... You cant make an argument for him that he didnt take money.. I mean he played Professional ball, the kid and his family accepted something of major value
theVILLE Wrote:Exactly what i was meaning... You cant make an argument for him that he didnt take money.. I mean he played Professional ball, the kid and his family accepted something of major value

Which means his advisors meant to cheat. Not throwing this on Enes, he's just a kid. But his parents and everyone else around him flat our knew he was intending on breaking a rule. Which means they could not have cared less about the University of Kentucky. For all of us UK fans, shouldn't we be offended that they didn't care that this could have turned into a Reggie Bush situation, where after the fact it has leveled the USC program, it could have cost UK severe punishment as well? Just think if UK would have won a National Championship and then had it stripped away, and the Kanter family knew coming in that it could have hurt the school and it's program, but it appears that had no care of UK, only Enes. That's what's a shame, and I say we don't want those kind of people in our program. The Kanter family and advisors are pariah if this is all true. Is it true, I have no idea, but the NCAA must believe that it is. UK will appeal, but it sounds like the NCAA has a tight case.
Stardust Wrote:For every Corey Magette there is always a Derrick Rose and a Marcus Camby. I guess if Coach K is beyond reproach, then what is Cal? He must be the Teflon Don, because he has never done anything illegal. I just guess Cal is much better than Coack K because, have ever been caught! But it's Coach K that every single pungent in the Basketball world lauds his integrity. Does the rest of the Basketball world (amateur and pro) say the same about Cal. There is our opinion, then there is those that are tremendously more in the know than us!

Exactly.
You NEVER hear a bad word about Coach K.
HE COACHES THE US OLYMPIC TEAM.
He gets the most out of every player on his team, he runs a great system, you rarely ever hear of a Duke kids getting into trouble with the law, and on top of that Duke requires much higher academic standards than the majority of the nation so skills alone won't land you a scholarship at Duke.

I have tons of respect for that program and their coach, but since I live in UK country I'm looked at like I'm an idiot for giving them props.
They have been the most dominant team since I have been alive.
zaga_fan Wrote:Exactly.
You NEVER hear a bad word about Coach K.
HE COACHES THE US OLYMPIC TEAM.
He gets the most out of every player on his team, he runs a great system, you rarely ever hear of a Duke kids getting into trouble with the law, and on top of that Duke requires much higher academic standards than the majority of the nation so skills alone won't land you a scholarship at Duke.

I have tons of respect for that program and their coach, but since I live in UK country I'm looked at like I'm an idiot for giving them props.
They have been the most dominant team since I have been alive.

I didn't think it had anything to do with giving Coach K props :biggrin: jk
Stardust Wrote:Which means his advisors meant to cheat. Not throwing this on Enes, he's just a kid. But his parents and everyone else around him flat our knew he was intending on breaking a rule. Which means they could not have cared less about the University of Kentucky. For all of us UK fans, shouldn't we be offended that they didn't care that this could have turned into a Reggie Bush situation, where after the fact it has leveled the USC program, it could have cost UK severe punishment as well? Just think if UK would have won a National Championship and then had it stripped away, and the Kanter family knew coming in that it could have hurt the school and it's program, but it appears that had no care of UK, only Enes. That's what's a shame, and I say we don't want those kind of people in our program. The Kanter family and advisors are pariah if this is all true. Is it true, I have no idea, but the NCAA must believe that it is. UK will appeal, but it sounds like the NCAA has a tight case.

That's the thing.
When Cal recruited this kid....
He had to ask him, "Did you take money?"
If he said no, then he was looking out for #1 and putting UK and all the fans underneath him.
If he said yes, there are a lot of things that could have been asked or said after that that we don't know about and we never will. Ranging from "Were you just compensated for basic expenses?" to "How can we hide this?"
We'll probably never know the whole story.
An appeal could grant him eligibility, but I think UK is better off to wash their hands with this.
I don't think he took money flat out. They said he had 33K worth of incentives and/or money other than just living expenses. I don't think it is that big of a deal and hopefully they have him pay the money back and suspend him a few games. I believe it was incident of not knowing everything.
beasy_bo Wrote:I don't think he took money flat out. They said he had 33K worth of incentives and/or money other than just living expenses. I don't think it is that big of a deal and hopefully they have him pay the money back and suspend him a few games. I believe it was incident of not knowing everything.

I just can't agree with that. I can't believe that he put his career on the line to play in a professional league and he took nothing.

The 2nd part of your statement said that he took $33K worth of incentives. If his parents allowed him to take it, and he told UK and the NCAA that he didn't, then you really think the NCAA is going to say fess up now that you lied and all you have to do is pay back what you took?

If he took something, and then said he didn't, how is that not knowing everything.

I hope you are right, but it sure is sounding more like a situation Derick Rose's brother or Cam Newtons father.
Stardust Wrote:I didn't think it had anything to do with giving Coach K props :biggrin: jk

haha
It does in the college basketball threads on BGR Wink
Elsewhere there are multiple reasons.
^ LOL :Thumbs:

Stardust Wrote:For every Corey Magette there is always a Derrick Rose and a Marcus Camby. I guess if Coach K is beyond reproach, then what is Cal? He must be the Teflon Don, because he has never done anything illegal. I just guess Cal is much better than Coack K because, have ever been caught! But it's Coach K that every single pungent in the Basketball world lauds his integrity. Does the rest of the Basketball world (amateur and pro) say the same about Cal. There is our opinion, then there is those that are tremendously more in the know than us!

Its the fact the NCAA plays favorites. I dont see how you can not penalize duke for the Maggette issue if your going to penalize Umass.
What's the next step for Kanter?
Does he go back to Turkey?
Does he go to the NBA?
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Its the fact the NCAA plays favorites. I dont see how you can not penalize duke for the Maggette issue if your going to penalize Umass.

Conspiracy theory hunh. And every single college President in the country will allow that hunh. Who is the NCAA - ohh, it's the governing body of the schools isn't it. There is no NCAA on it's own. Its the organization formed by the college presidents to be used to monitor collegiate athletics. And those schools have a choice if they want to belong to that governing body. I love how we think that the NCAA is the ruling body that's made to dictate rule. No, the NCAA is a governing body to dictate the rules that are outlined by the colleges! So, if it's the colleges that dictate the NCAA, then the NCAA really has no true jurisdiction, thus if the rest of the schools that have joined the NCAA felt that the NCAA was inconsistent in their rulings, then why are the rest of the schools, including the University of Kentucky not crying foul that the NCAA is being unfair with dUKe????
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5