Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: NKY 1st weekend thoughts …
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/preps/2010/1...-thoughts/

Generally, the first weekend of the playoffs is about as predictable as Charlie Brown’s field goal attempts. You have a lot of really good teams beating up a lot of really bad teams, with the rogue decent game thrown in. That said, this weekend wasn’t terrible.

Here are some thoughts:

I’ve had high school officials tell me that a penalty can be called virtually on every play. The officials in Friday night’s Holmes vs. West Jessamine game seemed to take that as a challenge. There were about 125 plays in the game. There were 25 penalties. That’s one every five plays. I get the obvious stuff. Off-sides is off-sides. A falst start is a false start. But about half the penalties in that game were holding penalties, including the one that erased the Bulldogs’ go-ahead score with a minute to play. I’m not saying it was a good call or a bad call, just a big call. I’m told the crew was from Louisville, which makes me happy I don’t cover games down there. I’d never make deadline.

Afterward, I gave Holmes coach Stephen Lickert the opportunity to light up the officiating crew; he didn’t take the bait. He said his team made too many mistakes and the officials had nothing to do with it. Good for him. Still, that one has to sting.

Saturday’s CovCath-Blazer game featured one of the most gruesome football injuries I’ve ever seen. After a first-quarter play, CovCath defensive back and leading tackler Daniel Gregory walked toward the sideline with a 45-degree angle between his wrist and elbow. His arm had snapped between two legs during the on-field action. To his credit, Gregory was totally calm. I was practically throwing up in my mouth.

Speaking of CovCath, the more I watch senior defensive back Paul Ritter, the more I think he’s one of the most underrated players in Northern Kentucky. The guy’s a beast. He can really run and he’s in on almost every play.
Newport, which nearly upset Christian Academy of Louisville in the first round, showed why Northern Kentucky’s Class 2A district is no joke.
Same goes for the area’s 6A loop and Conner, which played very well against a Henry Clay team that had been rolling teams.

Does anyone else think it would be a good idea for Kentucky to stagger playoff games like Ohio does? Classes 1A, 2A and 4A — the classes whose championship games will be played on a Friday — could play all their playoff games on Fridays. Classes 3A, 5A and 6A could play all their games, including the finals, on Saturdays. Teams could keep to normal schedules throughout the playoffs. There would be better revenue, better exposure. It’s a win-win-win.
Other than the fact that it throws off you in-week schedule. Most teams use Saturday off and Sunday as a prep day with a Thrusday walk through. Taking Sunday off and having to prep after school on Monday and walk through on Friday wouldn't be the end of the world. I just don't think after school on a Monday is enough time to get your game prep work done with all your staff.
jonsgrandma wrote:

The Holmes/West Jessamine game was a real nightmare. It was not only unbelievably cold, but the refs were unbelievably inept. I would definitely say they don't know the difference between a 'hold' and a 'pancake block'. They didn't see all the times the West Jessamine players 'pumbled' the Bulldogs...I saw the tape....unbelievable...number 77 from West Jessamine punched the Bulldogs center in the face and pulled facemasks...at one point the ref was looking directly at the incident. A Bulldogs supporter, at one point, yelled at a Covington police officer, "You need to do something about those refs, what they are doing is criminal"....I do agree. My heart goes out to our beloved Bulldogs...they deserved to win that game....it was stolen from them.

Jonsgrandma
11/8/2010 4:17:01 PM

Holmes was a great place for a game heard a lot of rumors but they were garbage. Holmes earned every one of there flags there couch was right they got outplayed period. Bottom line Holes classy Coach and players they left it all on the field don't. belittle what they did this year by acting like they were robbed.