Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Does Ky need a high school school/players union?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When I look at all the power the KHSAA has, I begin to think, would it be prevelent to have a School/Players Union to help conveign agaist KHSAA rulings.I have noticed that the KHSAA clearly states that all matters "The Ruling Officer and Commissioner have discretion (but are not required) to waive the period of ineligibility set forth". When I look at these rulings I see the KHSAA has all the Power and the Schools or families dont have any.... Where are the checks and balances.... Cause I dont see any. I look at the Highlands debacle and see a classic example of how the KHSAA plays the higher authority and the court system overrules them in a long lasting battle. I think that some kind of Union would tone down the "OPINION" judgement's that the KHSAA would make and would give more rights back to players and schools. It is hard in life already, their is no need to have a self made authority establishment make rulings of their opinions in a one way fight to high school sports. Why should the KHSAA have the right to play God? I know that they do good things but what happens with the bad... I'll tell you , another kid or school is punished. Please Help:ChairHit::ChairHit::ChairHit::ChairHit:
Will their dues come out of their lunch money?
High School athletes aren't mature enough to be in any kind of a union...
Ok maybe the best way to word this thread for most would be, Does schools need their own compliance offices, to cut down on the amount KHSAA is allowed to control. ?
zaga_fan Wrote:High School athletes aren't mature enough to be in any kind of a union...

Agreed. How would it be funded?
Mountain Coach Wrote:Ok maybe the best way to word this thread for most would be, Does schools need their own compliance offices, to cut down on the amount KHSAA is allowed to control. ?

In the era of budget cuts, academic programs being completely cut, teacher understaffing, furlows, and lack of tax money.... how would you propose this happen? Certainly the school board can not push this ahead using tax payer's money?

Private donors and booster clubs? Shewwwww I wouldn't want to see how those site based council meeting would end up when the Art department gets cut the same night that Jim Bob Bentley announces they have raised 30,000.00 for lawyer and consultation fees to help combat the injunction to get Henry Bob eligible for the upcoming non-district game. Better yet, how well will it sit when the Music Teacher of 7 years or the Band Director have their contracts terminated so they can hire someone "just in case" they forget to play by the rules.

Maybe the player's parents pay a stipend at the beginning of the season? I am sure programs such as the inner-city schools and the very rual schools have enough dispoasble income pouring out of their pockets that they will pay a $1000.00 at the start of every season (for 4 seasons) just in case their coaches aide in an illegal transfer for a kid who may take their son's place
How on Earth would public high schools fund such a thing?
Good thought....Bad idea
How about just following the rules of the KHSAA?
Are we being serious in this thread? Serious? Who is the KHSAA - it's the organization that the SCHOOL created! It's the schools that created the KHSAA and monitor 100% of the association. Do you know that the KHSAA is voluntary to be a member of? If you do not like the KHSAA, ask you school to pull there membership! If you do not like the rules that the KHSAA dictates, then tell you school. M It is YOUR SCHOOL that voted for every single rule in the KHSAA rulebook!

Seriously, do we not know what the KHSAA is? The KHSAA has ZERO, I repeat ZERO power over your school and your athlete. But it is YOUR SCHOOL who gave them 100% of the governing practices of your school!
Nothing But The Kids Wrote:How about just following the rules of the KHSAA?

I was going to say if you don't cheat there would be no need, but you are kinder.
14 of the 18 KHSAA Board of Control members are elected by the schools. Seems like the schools already have a pretty large voice in how the KHSAA conducts itself. And a couple of the Board members are from eastern Ky by the way.
Yeah , I guess ... bad thread..
I absolutely believe that schools, players and their parents and coaches need a voice. The KHSAA is too almighty. They have been given too much authority and that is never a good thing.