Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: What Team Would You Like To Know More About . . . .
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Along the lines of another thread--

What team(s) would you like to learn more about from another part of the state? Who peaks your interest outside of your area?

For me:
West: Mayfield
East: Belfry/Lynn Camp
South: North Laurel

Who do you have interest in?
Danville
Mayfield
Beechwood
Highlands
Tomcat68 Wrote:Danville
Mayfield
Beechwood
Highlands

Anything in particular that you would like to know about Beechwood?
For all of those programs I'm just wondering what in general they do throughout the year. Year in and year out they are some of the best teams in their class throughout the state. Sometimes you have phenomenal athletes, sometimes it is great coaching, but it takes a great program to stay on top.

Things like:
Lifting
Agility
Conditioning
Practice

There's lots more, but those are some of the main factors I would think in making a great program (other than intangibles).
Tomcat68 Wrote:For all of those programs I'm just wondering what in general they do throughout the year. Year in and year out they are some of the best teams in their class throughout the state. Sometimes you have phenomenal athletes, sometimes it is great coaching, but it takes a great program to stay on top.

Things like:
Lifting
Agility
Conditioning
Practice

There's lots more, but those are some of the main factors I would think in making a great program (other than intangibles).

Lifting is very basic--but attended by at LEAST 70 kids. Bench, Squat, Power Cleans, Front Squats, Close Grip Bench and a LOT of circuit work. There is also a great deal of core work and resistence training.

Agility doesn't start until after spring break. Everything is broken down by position group and stresses their in game change of direction movements.

Conditioning is paced on the basic premise of track and field conditioning. Currently, it is BASE phase conditioning. A lot of long, slow running (for 20-50 minutes a day). Again, everything is broken down by position groups to stress the movements and conditioning that each group needs (the lineman are probably conditioned more as long distance runners to build a steady base of conditioning that lasts longer than 4 quarters). The is a lot of build up work for the skill position players for the purpose of speed development. We also utilize uphill and especially down hill running for speed/turnover development. This, by far is the most progressive or "unfootball-like" aspect of the program. All of these kids have been taught to run correctly--and they all CAN run.

Practice is all over the place because of some "other" factors. Practice is Monday through Saturday. Monday practice is film and walk through. Tuesday is offense. Wednesday is defense. Thursday is walk through. Saturday is film and walk through. Special teams everyday of the week (for approximately 30 minutes. Practice is NEVER more than 1:50 to 2:00. There is a great deal of emphasis placed on individual work, then team timing to make sure everything fits together in the right manner.

I can be more specific if you would like (just say the area).
Paducah Tilghman
Mayfield