Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Covcath giving away four $500 scholarships at Sunday's open house.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Wow! Just read in todays paper. $500 scholarships given away at Covcath's Sunday Open house. Inducements to come to Covcath? Wonder if any good athletes will win the $500 "scholarships"? I wonder if a few other schools wish they had high school "scholarships" to give out.
Wideleft01 Wrote:Wow! Just read in todays paper. $500 scholarships given away at Covcath's Sunday Open house. Inducements to come to Covcath? Wonder if any good athletes will win the $500 "scholarships"? I wonder if a few other schools wish they had high school "scholarships" to give out.
:thanks:I'll be taking my son to win it
Bet NewCath gives out scholarships also
I just don't know how they're allowed to do it. I can't blame you for trying to win it. I might try to win it too.
I wonder if Newcath's starting backfield is on "scholarship"?
Wideleft01 Wrote:I just don't know how they're allowed to do it. I can't blame you for trying to win it. I might try to win it too.
why not? Your not given cash. It applies to your tution. Most Private Elementary/Middle schools give scohalships as well to the Private High school. Some even give full tution scholarshipsConfusedhh:
It's wrong because it can be manipulated on who gets the $. If say the best RB who happens to go to a public school now is interested in Covcath, he could conceivably win a scholarship to make it doable financially for him. That doesn't pass the smell test IMO.
Let's also say a kid from the parish can't decide between Covcath and Holy Cross. Well, Covcath has a $1000 scholarship and Holy Cross doesn't have a scholarship. Does that influence his decision? No scholarships should be available.
Wideleft01 Wrote:It's wrong because it can be manipulated on who gets the $. If say the best RB who happens to go to a public school now is interested in Covcath, he could conceivably win a scholarship to make it doable financially for him. That doesn't pass the smell test IMO.
It's a random raffle. It's way above board, why would a school risk anything that appears inappropriate?
Wideleft01 Wrote:Let's also say a kid from the parish can't decide between Covcath and Holy Cross. Well, Covcath has a $1000 scholarship and Holy Cross doesn't have a scholarship. Does that influence his decision? No scholarships should be available.
Both schools give multiple scholarships not an issue
Ft Thomas Schools give ALL their high school students almost a $10,000 "scholarship" paid for by the good people of the Commonwealth of KY (as do all public schools) to attend their high school (I keep forgetting the name of that school in Ft. Thomas)
I don't know how it works. I'm guess it has to be above board or someone would investigate. I just don't know how it's done, so I have to question it. If each school has the same amount of scholarship money from the dio, then I guess its fair.
Wideleft01 Wrote:I don't know how it works. I'm guess it has to be above board or someone would investigate. I just don't know how it's done, so I have to question it. If each school has the same amount of scholarship money from the dio, then I guess its fair.
The money doesn't come from the dioceses. It is raised by the development committee though various fundraisers(each school ussually have a big annual dance), from memorial donations aimed at specific scholarships, and from alumni who donate to a general scholarship fund (I know some who donate enough for a few students to attend tuition free).
Most private schools have on their website information on the scholarships Here's CovCath's
http://www.covcath.org/page.cfm?p=452
At paintsville kids out of district have to pay tuition. But they can get out of it by being in extreme poverty, or their parents can do some volunteer work for the school. I see nothing wrong with Covcath giving out scholarships.
Its a private school, they receive no federal funding. There was a Supream Court case about something like this a while back.