Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Highlands 70 Woodford Co. 8
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final
No surprises here... congrats Birds!
Ouch! Listened to the 1st half, that thang got ugly quick.
Congrats. But did this game really need to be played?
congrats to Highlands
kypecos Wrote:Congrats. But did this game really need to be played?

I agree there could have been several state records set tonight.:biggrin:
Congrats to Highlands
Grats to HHS.
I have to question why any team would put 70 on another team. At some point you have to call off the birds.

This is a good example of the screwed up playoff system we have in KY.
Jeepman Wrote:I have to question why any team would put 70 on another team. At some point you have to call off the birds.

Not Highlands fault. The took starters out early. Second string scored 2 TD's in the first half. Freshmen squad was scoring in the second half. What more does Highlands do? It is the playoff systems fault. No team with a 1-9 record belongs in the playoffs.
Jeepman Wrote:I have to question why any team would put 70 on another team. At some point you have to call off the birds.

The first 14 were interceptions run back on third down pass plays. Second team took over before halftime and the freshman finished out. What is your idea of calling off the birds, taking a knee on every play? :HitWall: Sorry, but this is the playoffs. There's only so much you can do to take it easy on the opposing team.
By the way, it was 14-0 before Highlands offense even stepped onto the field. In no way did they run up the score.
Congrats Highlands.
sstack Wrote:Not Highlands fault. The took starters out early. Second string scored 2 TD's in the first half. Freshmen squad was scoring in the second half. What more does Highlands do? It is the playoff systems fault. No team with a 1-9 record belongs in the playoffs.

Well I guess they could have put the water boy in. Maybe play with 7 players. Just kidding.

I just hate it that KHSAA has the need to see 1-9 teams get killed in the playoffs. I just don't understand the logic behind it. Highlands is a class program and I'm sure they would never run the score up.
Jeepman Wrote:Well I guess they could have put the water boy in. Maybe play with 7 players. Just kidding.

I just hate it that KHSAA has the need to see 1-9 teams get killed in the playoffs. I just don't understand the logic behind it. Highlands is a class program and I'm sure they would never run the score up.

Actually Highlands did ran one punt return with just 9 players.:lmao:
This game could have been 120+ to 0 even with a running clock. I don't think having 13 or 14 year old freshmen beating up on seniors necessarily constitutes running it up. Highlands could have scored on long passes every play of the game if they felt the need.
Jeepman Wrote:I just hate it that KHSAA has the need to see 1-9 teams get killed in the playoffs. I just don't understand the logic behind it.

Nope, don't understand it myself. I think cutting back to two teams is too much of a cut, but three teams would be perfect. You have some #3 teams who could have Cinderella potential, and the #1's in each district could get a week off.
Then again, who said that $$$$$ and logic have any place together.Confusedhh:
looks like the Birds are still reeling after the Ryle game.............
Sounds like a bunch of parents of players on other teams bashing the best team in the state.
Serving Aces Wrote:Sounds like a bunch of parents of players on other teams bashing the best team in the state.

I think you are wrong. I see no bashing in this thread just people talking about the screwed up playoff system.
Can you dig it? Wrote:Nope, don't understand it myself. I think cutting back to two teams is too much of a cut, but three teams would be perfect. You have some #3 teams who could have Cinderella potential, and the #1's in each district could get a week off.
Then again, who said that $$$$$ and logic have any place together.Confusedhh:

No i think you need four teams. Espeically with districts having to use tie breakers for placements. However we do not need 6 classes. That is where the problem is.
Congrats Highlands.
I really think the loss to Ryle is the best thing that could've happened to this team. A humbling experience like that one can go a long way for a dangerous team like Highlands. I think it has rejuvinated the Birds' fire and will serve them well as they continue to advance...
With all the cut backs in education and the need to slow down on expenditures, I think WC probably could've saved a few grand and not played this one. UGLY...congrats to Highlands.
BaseballIsLife Wrote:I really think the loss to Ryle is the best thing that could've happened to this team. A humbling experience like that one can go a long way for a dangerous team like Highlands. I think it has rejuvinated the Birds' fire and will serve them well as they continue to advance...

True, but there is still the injury bug to contend with.
Matman Wrote:No i think you need four teams. Espeically with districts having to use tie breakers for placements. However we do not need 6 classes. That is where the problem is.

The tie-breakers are generally between teams with losing records. In some cases this is because of a tough district and a tough overall schedule, but I doubt that this is the case in most situations. Upsets can always happen, but I'd give up the 1 v 4 matchups to streamline things. I agree on the six classes, but I don't see that going anywhere either.
This shows the true flaw in our playoff system. This would have been more productive if Highlands would have had a bye....
The problems people have with these types of games is directly due to the KHSAA's expansion from 4 to 6 classes. I can guarantee you if they made the switch back, you would see fewer and fewer of these. Granted there would be a few games like this one still happening but overall there would me many more competitive games and you see virtually no 1-win teams in the playoffs as there shouldn't be.