Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Steriod Testing for the State Playoffs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I bring this up every year for a simple reason. Kids in the mountains are using this junk to get an unfair advantage. And what is really painful - they flaunt it. They brag to their buddies (who tell me about it). They post their flex pictures on Facebook. They gain 50 lbs on their bench in a matter of weeks and the coach lets it go.

And then you have the kids who refuse to cheat. They work their butts off every day only to see the jerks who cheat get bigger and faster than they are. In the long run the clean athletes always win where it counts as they have not sacrificed their integrity for an ill-gotten adavantage.

Still - something MUST be done. Cheaters suck and they deserve to be called out and their teams disqualified from winning titles and the players from being named for awards. This will only happen when All-State and All-Region candidates are tested for steriods. If you are going to give a kid an award (over every other kid) that will help him win a $100K scholarship should he not be willing to prove he is not a CHEATER?

I detest the way parents, coaches, and officials have turned a blind eye to this epedemic. Are there others who feel the same way or is this just "the way it is?"
to tell you the truth i really dont care. i just want to watch football
Football1 Wrote:I bring this up every year for a simple reason. Kids in the mountains are using this junk to get an unfair advantage. And what is really painful - they flaunt it. They brag to their buddies (who tell me about it). They post their flex pictures on Facebook. They gain 50 lbs on their bench in a matter of weeks and the coach lets it go.

And then you have the kids who refuse to cheat. They work their butts off every day only to see the jerks who cheat get bigger and faster than they are. In the long run the clean athletes always win where it counts as they have not sacrificed their integrity for an ill-gotten adavantage.

Still - something MUST be done. Cheaters suck and they deserve to be called out and their teams disqualified from winning titles and the players from being named for awards. This will only happen when All-State and All-Region candidates are tested for steriods. If you are going to give a kid an award (over every other kid) that will help him win a $100K scholarship should he not be willing to prove he is not a CHEATER?

I detest the way parents, coaches, and officials have turned a blind eye to this epedemic. Are there others who feel the same way or is this just "the way it is?"

I hear what you are saying and agree with the principle.

Problem: How will you finance it? Do we test all or just the notables? Who pays for the testing? It's pretty expensive to run these kinds of tests and that's why few this side of the NFL do so. Tough issue without an easy answer.
Very tough issue, I hear of the same problems. Financing would be very difficult. I know of many kids who say its unfair that work really hard and are great players but lack the steroid advantage.
Steroid testing is very expensive. It's not just something you can just test with a cup and a trip to the bathroom. I know for a fact if it was in place a school down the road from here would not have had near as much success as they did 4 or 5 years ago. But it's part of it I guess. And I don't think it will change anytime soon.
Probably not.
Football1 Wrote:I bring this up every year for a simple reason. Kids in the mountains are using this junk to get an unfair advantage. And what is really painful - they flaunt it. They brag to their buddies (who tell me about it). They post their flex pictures on Facebook. They gain 50 lbs on their bench in a matter of weeks and the coach lets it go.

this will never happen; its way too expensive, i dont even think NAIA tests their players.. so yea steriods shouldnt be used but the way todays times are, it aint gonna stop..
Ram Fan04 Wrote:Steroid testing is very expensive. It's not just something you can just test with a cup and a trip to the bathroom. I know for a fact if it was in place a school down the road from here would not have had near as much success as they did 4 or 5 years ago. But it's part of it I guess. And I don't think it will change anytime soon.

What school would you be refering to I hadn't heard any rumors on,any school in the area
I know kids who have worked very hard lifting during and after the season and who drink legal protein supplements and who have come up 75-100 pounds on a bench. I know one kid who went from 220 to 320 in a year of grueling workouts. And I know nobody at that program is juicing. Confusion may stem from the NCAA banning some protein supplements that you can buy over the counter and use in high school.
Tell them their "manhood" will fall off by using steroids.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:What school would you be refering to I hadn't heard any rumors on,any school in the area

I'm not going to say or get into that on here. This thread isn't about who's doing it or not. It's about testing being proposed in playoffs. But it's not rumors. A rumor is something that may or may not be true. This is facts. Most of their fans will even admit it and even go as far to say that's why the program is on a decline. I will say if you think I'm referring to Ashland I'm not.
I know plenty of kids doing this, I don't like it, but what can ya do?
I just don't think that's feasible.

Plus, it's too late by the time you get to the playoffs. If you're going to test, why not test before the first week?
Most High Schoolers only take pro- hormones which aren't actual steroids.
I know for a FACT that steroids in high schools are pretty common around here.
There are some Prohormones that are as good as the real thing.
As it has been said it is too expensive. It is too easy to beat a test. Also how often would you test. Most knowledgable users would use it during the off season. The back pumps and blood pressure issue could hurt performance. I don't think it is as common as people think. Most kids are using over the counter supplements. Look at Texas who did implement testing. It was useless.
zaga_fan Wrote:I know for a FACT that steroids in high schools are pretty common around here.

Really? What are they taking? I dont' want to know who just what. Please don't throw kids names out there. I have been accused of using steroids since I was 15. Now I have a cousin who is accused of taking steroids. Sometimes it really is just hard work, nutrition and genetics.
About the topic STEROIDS:
The person that said, "I don't care, I just want to watch football ", deep down I'm sure they care , and I'm sure they don't want Illegal performance enhancing drugs in sports, just like I'm sure they do not approve of a person stealing from families and others to get a fix, or you might just call it taking something that will help them not have to face what's real. I'm sure none of us like to see an Offical make calls that appear always in favor of one specific team, which we feel they are cheating.
So if you take Steroids you are cheating and stealing, cheating and stealing from others who play the sport fair, and most importantly cheating yourself.
How do you stop it?
Around this area I know steroids are easier to get than a bottle of liqour. And it's not "pro hormones".
They could take it in the season it wouldn,t make a huge difference, first off not many teams lift hard in the season and if you do your body can't lift and practice in full gear 3 days a week plus a game.

:thatsfunn:muscleman:thatsfunn
Some school districts do random drug testing year around to all student athletes. The paper work states they test for steroids. Of course not all districts do this.
gotcha2 Wrote:Some school districts do random drug testing year around to all student athletes. The paper work states they test for steroids. Of course not all districts do this.

Russell does. My son was tested yesterday.

Ramfan04, you are right about them being easy to get around here. But you are wrong about laying it all on one school and impling that is the reason for up and down years.

I have seen kids from Raceland, Russell, Greenup, Ashland, Ironton and Wheelersburg all get a supply from a certain local business. A few from each school but not alot. The rest of this just comes off as jealousy.
This should be done. Random test before pre games. Awesome Idea. Deff needs done
Testing for steroids at the high school level is a great idea, but absolutely cost prohibitive.

I'll say this...a parent who turns a blind eye to a high schooler juicing is tantamount to criminal, imo. We shouldn't need government/schools to control it.
FBALL Wrote:Russell does. My son was tested yesterday.

Ramfan04, you are right about them being easy to get around here. But you are wrong about laying it all on one school and impling that is the reason for up and down years.

I have seen kids from Raceland, Russell, Greenup, Ashland, Ironton and Wheelersburg all get a supply from a certain local business. A few from each school but not alot. The rest of this just comes off as jealousy.

Russell drug testing is bogus at least it was when I was in school. And didn't test for steroids either. But they may have changed. But either way it's easy to get around. Also I didn't say that was the reason for the up and down years. I said alot of your fans say that. And I never said which school I was talking about. So you must know just as much or probably more than I do to be able to answer. However I will say in 02 there wouldn't have been much of the starters left had testing been implied.
Ram Fan04 Wrote:Russell drug testing is bogus at least it was when I was in school. And didn't test for steroids either. But they may have changed. But either way it's easy to get around. Also I didn't say that was the reason for the up and down years. I said alot of your fans say that. And I never said which school I was talking about. So you must know just as much or probably more than I do to be able to answer. However I will say in 02 there wouldn't have been much of the starters left had testing been implied.
You didn't type the name but you sure did imply it. It wasn't hard to follow the trail. I probably do know more and that 02 year was the worst year for it that I can remember. I would say three starters. About the same at the other area schools. You know the business establishment I'm talking about. It didn't take a detective. After that it's been pretty clean.

As for the testing being bogus. At least Russell has random testing for student athletes. It won't catch everything but at least it's an effort being made. Most schools don't even go that far.

Also I agree with oneijoe. Parents who let or allow this to happen are either criminal or insanely stupid.
Coaches know,and any coach that don't say anything,promotes it.Winning to them means more.Nobody likes a loser.They forget that these are kids that need direction on the right way to do things.Taking steroids is cheating,if it is not for medical reasons,whoever is involved should be removed{players and coaches}
If you are going to test you have to do it in the regular season. The reglar season affects the playoffs too greatly to just test in the playoffs.
Pages: 1 2 3