Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Letcher Central Soccer Team
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Now that the season is over, I have some stats to pass alone about our cougars.

Congrats also to Arianna Collins for a awesome season. 69 goals, 45 assist. Both these stats are #1 in the state. 69 goals in second all time for goals in a season. She shattered the record for most assist in a season. The previous was 31 she had 45.
She is 14th all time in scoring, and with numbers like that next year she could be the all time scorer. She is 4th all time in assist and needed only 17 assist should be the all time assist leader also.

Here is the link to the KHSAA page. http://www.khsaa.org/records/soccer/girl...ecords.pdf

A perfect candidate for Miss Soccer

As a team we scored 154 goals which is second all time. Lindsey Kincer was tied for 4th in scoring and 7th in assist. Erica Meade was 3rd in assist. Jasmine Gilipsie was #1 with 13 shutouts. Our team was #1 in scoring, and number one in defense. Even though we didn't win region, this is a major acomplishment for a school that 5 years ago didn't have a good team. They made it to the Regional Championship game for the first time. Congrats to coach Collins, his staff and players, and just to let everyone know, Collins, Kincer, Meade and Gilipsie will be back next year.
Due to only losing one Senior I hope Coach Collins will upgrade his schedule next year as he knows he has a heckuva team returning. They need the experience against top notch teams to get over the hump and win the region. That was the X factor for South Laurel and the fact that they had several Seniors and a deep bench. If there is a Miss Soccer, it is only given to a Senior and Arianna is only a Junior.
Letcher Central played the same schedule as the year before. Probably didn't know some of those teams would have a rebuilding year and probably didn't realize his team was going to be so good:Cheerlead
eastkyrules Wrote:Letcher Central played the same schedule as the year before. Probably didn't know some of those teams would have a rebuilding year and probably didn't realize his team was going to be so good:Cheerlead

I agree.
Being a fan of soccer, I've often wondered why any team would MERCY RULE another team when they could sub and work on the skills of players that will be their future stars.
If your able to beat a team by 10 then you've gained nothing except for higher stats.
Maybe this would be something this powerful Letcher girls team may want to consider next year.
Any thoughts on next year?
equipmentman Wrote:Being a fan of soccer, I've often wondered why any team would MERCY RULE another team when they could sub and work on the skills of players that will be their future stars.
If your able to beat a team by 10 then you've gained nothing except for higher stats.
Maybe this would be something this powerful Letcher girls team may want to consider next year.
Any thoughts on next year?

Obviously you didn't watch them play. They only had two subs at the most and most of the season they had one sub or none. This was due to a rash of injuries and some players quitting. There was several games where they played with no subs and still won. Next year it will be different as they have more girls coming from the middle school level that will give them more players to work with.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Obviously you didn't watch them play. They only had two subs at the most and most of the season they had one sub or none. This was due to a rash of injuries and some players quitting. There was several games where they played with no subs and still won. Next year it will be different as they have more girls coming from the middle school level that will give them more players to work with.

True! Also, a couple of games they had only 10 players during parts of games and one complete game. These girls are something special:Cheerlead
Well if she can't get Miss Soccer, then she at least needs to be 1st, or 2nd team all selection.
Guys, lets not get too excited about this collins girl, she didnt even make all state honorable mention.
Does anyone from Eastern Ky. ever ? How about Central Ky.... Always !!!Yeah.that's what I thought. If you aren't from the "city" you aren't any good:worthy:
eastkyrules Wrote:Does anyone from Eastern Ky. ever ? How about Central Ky.... Always !!!Yeah.that's what I thought. If you aren't from the "city" you aren't any good:worthy:

Somerset's Whitney Wallace made second team East.
Desirae Hamlin of Ashland Blazer was honorable mention East.
Lily Gosser of Bourbon County was honorable mention East.
Danay Fothergill of Pulaski Southwestern was honorable mention East.

There were several girls from Marshall County, Hopkinsville, Daviess County, Ohio County, etc., that made the West team.

LCC barely plays anyone outside its region - which, no offense, is one of the worst ... if not the worst. Collins doesn't play for any great club team (according to google).

Putting up outrageous stats - 8 on Bell County? Seriously - doesn't prove anything.

The mark of a good player isn't the TOTAL, it's what you do against good teams.

How many goals/assists did Collins have against quality teams (and South Laurel wasn't even ranked)? 5?

The ONLY way Collins (and to a lesser extent, LCC) will get any respect/notice is for LCC to play somebody. I'm not saying go out and schedule Sacred Heart, Assumption, St. Henry, Lexington Christian or the Jessamines, but beating up on your region rivals -- especially when you do NOT have to play them -- means nothing. Get a Boyle County, Danville, Ashland Blazer, South Laurel on the schedule in the REGULAR season. Play a good team from NE Tennessee or the western parts of Virginia and West Virginia.
Don't feel so bad about your East Ky player selection not making any teams. If you look at the players that we have here in the mountains (Letcher, Pike, Floyd, Johnson, and Perry) you would first start with a couple of the Pikeville girls who have played at the Club level which is much more physical than High School and these girls played with your Laruel's, Corbins, WVa, and others, and stood out to be top players on their Club team. But you are correct, we do have lots of talent that should be recognized statewide thru out Eastern KY
I am still proud of the fact that are team went as far as they did. Dis us, and our schedule if you want but I bet our girls will work hard in the offseason and you can't take away the fact that the Collins girl will have a chance to be the all time score and assist leader. Like I said she has a chance, and we are proud of this team.
cksportsfan Wrote:Somerset's Whitney Wallace made second team East.
Desirae Hamlin of Ashland Blazer was honorable mention East.
Lily Gosser of Bourbon County was honorable mention East.
Danay Fothergill of Pulaski Southwestern was honorable mention East.

There were several girls from Marshall County, Hopkinsville, Daviess County, Ohio County, etc., that made the West team.

LCC barely plays anyone outside its region - which, no offense, is one of the worst ... if not the worst. Collins doesn't play for any great club team (according to google).

Putting up outrageous stats - 8 on Bell County? Seriously - doesn't prove anything
The mark of a good player isn't the TOTAL, it's what you do against good teams.

How many goals/assists did Collins have against quality teams (and South Laurel wasn't even ranked)? 5?

The ONLY way Collins (and to a lesser extent, LCC) will get any respect/notice is for LCC to play somebody. I'm not saying go out and schedule Sacred Heart, Assumption, St. Henry, Lexington Christian or the Jessamines, but beating up on your region rivals -- especially when you do NOT have to play them -- means nothing. Get a Boyle County, Danville, Ashland Blazer, South Laurel on the schedule in the REGULAR season. Play a good team from NE Tennessee or the western parts of Virginia and West Virginia.
Bet you said this about Shelby Valley's Boys Basketball team as well:Cheerlead
Basketball and soccer in east ky are apples and oranges. We have only had soccer a couple years at the high school level. Besides if you look at basketball, who did Elisha Justice play with during the summer??? I think it was a team from central or northern ky. face the facts guys LCC lost bad to a very average South laurel team. In a couple years east ky soccer may be good but right now its in the beginning stages.
You can criticize,or you could come and watch them play. See you next year!!:Cheerlead
LCC girls had a wonderful Regular season. If LCC keeps the same schedule for next year LCC might go undeafeted again in regular season. However there's a few teams that are not that far away that will put LCC to the test. Pick up Ashland, Somerset, and South Laurel and don't worry about a perfect season! Play your local Pikeville team 2 times. Play these tuff teams in the regular season, it's not going to do any damage to your District standings. LCC girls will gain so much from opponents that are equal or better. No one in the mountains has ever gone undefeated in the regular season until you guys did this season, so step it up a notch and prepare beyond the regular season next year.
And what does an undefeated regular season mean, exactly, if you get whitewashed (4-0 would count) by the first mediocre team you see in the playoffs?

Good teams (most of which come from NKY, LOU and LEX) don't give a darn about your Whatever-and-Oh record in the playoffs. South Laurel obviously wasn't impressed and again, South Laurel isn't all that good.

EKY does have some great programs. Bell County football. Greenup County cheerleading (or used to be). The Laurels in softball. Clay County girls' basketball. Shelby Valley boys' basketball the last two years (interesting to see if they can keep it up). Corbin in tennis is very solid.

At least all of the programs I've just reeled off have proven themselves in the regular season and more importantly, at State.

All LCC has proven is it is willing to run up the score on teams that would be lucky to score on JV teams from LOU/LEX/NKY.

With all of the talent/confidence that LCC has coming back - and the fact that most contracts have expired - it will be interesting to see if LCC beefs up its schedule (Somerset or Southwestern, South Laurel, a good team from Northeast Tennessee or western VA or WVA) or it continues to make a big deal of beating up on mountain cupcakes.

In my area, the LaRue County boys are the same way. Led the state in shutouts last year and didn't even make it out of district. And another sparkling record this year and once again, can't make it to region.

And yet, Daviess County, which was 10-9-1 in the regular season, is playing Saturday for the boys' state title.

So once again, why make a big deal about regular-season records?

Teams to remember last long in October and November.
First you win at home ....then you take 'em on the road !!!! See you next year:Cheerlead
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Obviously you didn't watch them play. They only had two subs at the most and most of the season they had one sub or none. This was due to a rash of injuries and some players quitting. There was several games where they played with no subs and still won. Next year it will be different as they have more girls coming from the middle school level that will give them more players to work with.
They have 21 kids listed?
Yes, but there was a lot that didn't play due to injury. I do agree that our schedule has to be better.
cougarpride08 Wrote:Yes, but there was a lot that didn't play due to injury. I do agree that our schedule has to be better.
Soccer must be a rough sport with 11 kids injuried at one time.
Benchwarmer Wrote:Soccer must be a rough sport with 11 kids injuried at one time.

Yes, 21 are listed although 7 and 8 graders cannot play varsity soccer.:Cheerlead
True, and I didn't even think about that.
Benchwarmer Wrote:They have 21 kids listed?

Ole Knott County Brethren if you are going to instigate trouble, you need to do your homework a little better. Those grade school girls who are listed on the roster are not allowed to dress or play varsity soccer. They are allowed to play JV but not varsity. It is similar to the rule(but not the same) in football.
The future does look bright.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Ole Knott County Brethren if you are going to instigate trouble, you need to do your homework a little better. Those grade school girls who are listed on the roster are not allowed to dress or play varsity soccer. They are allowed to play JV but not varsity. It is similar to the rule(but not the same) in football.

Not instigating trouble just wondering Ole Letcher County Brethren.
Benchwarmer Wrote:Not instigating trouble just wondering Ole Letcher County Brethren.

You can now consider yourself more educated.
Is there any AAU clubs that Arianna will play with?
KY Headhunter Wrote:Guys, lets not get too excited about this collins girl, she didnt even make all state honorable mention.

and she never will with Letcher playing such a weak schedule. The 16 th region will never go nowheres playing against each other nor get honorable mentions, until they start beating the big city teams from Lex and Louie.
Pages: 1 2